indigosky

Marzocchi MX Comp w/ ETA question...

I installed my 105mm Marzocchi MX Comp w/ ETA on my Surly 1x1 singlespeed. Because the frame in only suspension corrected for 80mm it really bumps the front end up.

Can I safely run the fork with the ETA turned on the majority of the time? and only "unlock it" when I'm in the really technical stuff?

Most people are probably thinking why would you want to run it at 30mm most of the time. Especially standing up and cranking on the single speed the 30mm of travel when the ETA is engaged seems great. My other single speed has a rigid steel fork.

meatier showers
    I've got the same fork on my Sugar. I like it. I don't see why there would be anything wrong with engaging the ETA most of the time. As you pointed out, there is still travel in this setting, so the internals wouldn't be taking too bad of a hammering (not as much as a fork in a completely locked out state). Besides, the times you point 'er down hill is when the fork will really start taking its pounding, and certainly you'll extend it for those rugged, high speed descents, eh.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by indigosky
    I installed my 105mm Marzocchi MX Comp w/ ETA on my Surly 1x1 singlespeed. Because the frame in only suspension corrected for 80mm it really bumps the front end up.

Can I safely run the fork with the ETA turned on the majority of the time? and only "unlock it" when I'm in the really technical stuff?

Most people are probably thinking why would you want to run it at 30mm most of the time. Especially standing up and cranking on the single speed the 30mm of travel when the ETA is engaged seems great. My other single speed has a rigid steel fork.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

indigosky

I think...

I think I'm going to give Marzocchi a call and verify before I do any damage.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by indigosky
    I think I'm going to give Marzocchi a call and verify before I do any damage.
    i would think it's possible to convert it to 80 or 85mm since they make the same fork in that size...

indigosky

All I want for Christmas is 85mm

I called Marzocchi this AM. They do not recommend running with the ETA on over very rough terrain. Also, they said only the MX Comp can be converted to 85mm, not the MX Comp w/ ETA. And to get the MX Comp with the 85mm conversion would be about $50 less than a Marathon SL w/ ECC. I guess I'll just keep my eyes peeled for a cheap Marathon.

mtbr member
    I have the 105mm MX PRO with ETA. I've forgotten to unlock it on a number of occasions and ridden it pretty rough with the ETA on and it hasn't been damaged so far. Marzocchi reccomends not using ETA when riding aggressively but I don't see how having the ETA on is going to damage the fork since it doesn't increase compression damping or anything that would be damaged by a hit, it just restricts the oil flow in the damper so the fork can't extend beyond the 30mm point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a 105 with no ETA on a frame designed for 80mm forks, and it does not feel a lot different than my longer travel trail bike, but it is indeed slower handling than the shorter rigid fork. So far it's worth it because the 105 sure makes whacking into a bigger log or rock easier, as well as going down something steep.