SSolo
    Apr 2008

Mary rear wheel kinda loose/creaking?

On last night's ride I was waiting for the rest of our group and going over my bike, the rear wheel is kinda loose side to side if I grab the rear wheel/tire and push/pull side to side. It is not floppy loose, but requires a bit of pressure and then it kinda clicks/snaps over to one side and then if I push to the other side, it will do it again. It was not like this before the start of our ride. The skewer is tight and the movement seems to be in the bearings...or the bearings rocking in the hub kinda sound to me. The rear axle is not rocking in the drop-outs. So are my rear wheel bearings toast? According to Haro's site they are cartridge type (4 qty in rear hub) and I've heard these are easy to replace? I've done the loose ball and cone type, but never the cartridge type. Freehub still works great. Anything else I should do while I'm in there? Only had this bike since April....but riding it 2 - 3 times per week since then....only ridden my HT twice since I brought Mary home. Overall, I'm loving Mary!!!
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Forgot to reply, but if you pull the rear wheel off, there are two nuts (one on each side of the rear hub) kinda like if you have cone and ball bearings and these were a little loose. Tightened them up slightly but not too tight and it takes up the freeplay between the rear axle cartridge bearings. Don't overdo it though because there is nothing in there to prevent you from crushing the center races out of the bearings....which seems rather odd to me, but that is how it is. So if anybody else has this problem, here's your fix.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...