mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mary bar: Help from long term users please

I want to try a bar that is very swept back ala Jones, Mary, the new Titec. Mary is what I can afford, (and like the looks of). She has been on the market for a bit now. If you have been riding a Mary bar for awhile now, what is your opinion/experience? ( I have read previous threads on Mary, but those were during the honeymoon days of a new unique product). She would be going on a rigid steel hardtail. Partly I'm hoping to acheive a more natural hand, arm and shoulder position to reduce stress on the joints.

Reviewer/Tester
    Mary has a very natural hand position and is very comfortable to use. You need to adjust the bars so that the ends point down towards the rear axel, and then raise them slightly to get your correct position from there as you ride them.

I have used Mary for quite a long time and find that these bars are great for all styles of riding.

Whilst they aren't as vibe-damping as Ti H-bars, Mary costs a lot less to buy.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    been using them on a rigid steel hardtail now since they were introduced (thanks brant). once you get the set up dialed, they're comfy and allow for good handling . the aluminum vs ti (jones) differences are obvious, but i must say, i haven't had any hand numbness issues on long rides with the mary (though i also run a 2.4" tire in the front). i'm not a rise fan, so that would be my only complaint, but i just dropped my stem and am happy. all in all, i think it's a great bar, however, i'm a bigger fan of moustaches, especially for leverage, and will probably switch back when i find a wider option (like most mtbr forum members, my set up has become more of an obsession than a necessity).

good luck with your decision.

highly visible
    I've got Mary bars on both of my offroad-oriented bikes. They're a pretty good overall compromise, and unlike flat bars they NEVER cause hand numbness for me and don't require me to constantly shift hand positions as I have to do with flat bars+ends. Be aware that it can take some time to get them set up right. Even a 1 degree change in angle can make climbing or descending awkward. Be patient and make very small changes.

They're still not perfect. While far better than flat bars, for climbing my wrists aren't as comfortable as on bar ends, and I'd like just a touch more sweep. I don't have quite as much SS climbing power as with bar ends either, which I attribute to both the sweep angle and to the relatively narrow width. I plan on trying out the H-bar soon (starting with the affordable Titec version, then the real deal if that works out).
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

conjoinicorned
    i have a significant number of miles on mary bars, on my AM fs bike, my DH/DJ/park hardtail, and my XC SS bike. i won't use any other type of bars, except on my DH bike and that's only because the mary's aren't quite up to hard DH/FR abuse IMO (otherwise i would!).

it takes a while to get them set-up, be patient. i have terrible shoulders (surgery on one, multiple dislocations on the other) and the mary's have been a life saver, especially on long rides. experiment with up/down, stem length, and even flipping them...i'm sure there's a sweet spot for you in there somewhere.

it took some time to get used to them, but now i prefer them for climbing and descending, and even jumping!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member

Believe the Hype!

I'm in the process of buying a new bike, and I've already budgeted another $60 for the Mary bar. Having ridden one on my 26 for almost a year now, I wouldn't ride anything else, especially on a steel hardtail SS.
    [SIZE="1"]“The only Zen you find on tops of mountains is the Zen you bring there”---Robert M. Pirsig[/SIZE]

Sweep the leg!
    I've had Mary for a year now. She's on my Rig. I was explaining to an employee of a lbs that the main reason I like Mary is the ergos. If I stand with my hands extended slightly extended they line up pretty close to the angle of the bars.

The only thing I would change is the clamp diameter to the larger size to allow for the stock stems which come with most new bikes. In otherwords, I would have rather just bought a Mary bar in stead of a bar and a Richey WCS stem.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

AOF
    soft / 34/ married
    I've been with mary for almost a year now, it took about 10 seconds to get used to them.
    I am amazed they aren't more popular.
    It hurts to ride other "straight" , "riser" whatever bars.

Listen to Rainmans advice, I've told a few my method to set them up.

To find the optimum angle of downward rotation:
    1) Loosen the bar retention bolts on the stem
    2) Sit on the bike with something to support you from falling over
    3) Rotate the bars until it feels natural
    4) Get off and tighten the bars in this position
    5) Go ride!

-Dan
    Southern NH NEMBA & My LBS & My Blog & Single Speed Alliance

Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

mtbr member
    not much to add... just that I like some cushy grips on em. like oury lock on's.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

OMR - Old Man Riding

Good job! Love 'em!

I started out with Marys on just the SS... felt good right away... good leverage for climbing. Then switched out my MonkeyLites on my squishy 5.5 bike with Marys and haven't looked back. Love the hand position... much more natural.

I also changed out my ODI grips for ESIs... per RM's suggestion (listen to the Master, grasshopper!).... they rock!

OMR...
    SoCal
    Older than Dirt!!!

mtbr member
    I had a pair for awhile. very comfortable, but not wide enough for me. The Titec H-bar seems better already, but not as elegant looking, if that means anything to you.
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

mtbr member
    I hate the look (prefer straight bar look) but love the feel of the Mary bars. I have used them on my rigid steel 26in bike for long rides and a few races and never had a problem. Definitely an ergonomic advantage. But I think you still need a strong upper body and good wrists to handle a rigid bike regardless of the bar.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    My experience:

Jones H-bars on a rigid 29er singlespeed, which I rode exclusively for about a year and a half. Loved 'em from the first ride. Very natural hand position. Phenomenal vibration dampening. Only complaint: A bit too wide in certain situations, but that could just be my perception.

Built a geared 29er last August, and decided to give the Mary bar a try. Bought both a rigid fork and a suspension fork for this bike, but started out with the rigid since it's what I've come to prefer. Initial impressions: Wow, this aluminum handlebar makes for a harsh ride! - This sweep angle doesn't suit me quite as well as the Jones H-bar. - I like the slightly shorter width. After five months of riding this bike, still on the rigid fork, I've completely adapted to the harsher ride. It was a similar transition to going from suspension to rigid. There are obviously different levels of harshness, and I guess you just learn to loosen up and go with the flow. I still feel that the sweep angle is better, for me, on the Jones H-bar. I still appreciate the slightly shorter width of the Mary bar. Still haven't tried the Mary bar with a suspension fork.

Currently, I ride the geared bike about 70% of the time and the singlespeed about 30% of the time. The Jones H-bar on the singlespeed still feels sooooo much more comfortable and natural than the Mary bar. It's far more expensive, and will most likely require a different stem if you're modifying an old build, but I feel that it's worth the additional cost. That is unless you ride somwhere where a wide handlebar just won't work.
    Last edited by JimN; 02-02-2007 at 01:30 PM.

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by JimN
    My experience:

Jones H-bars A bit too wide in certain situations, but that could just be my perception.

I still appreciate the slightly shorter width of the Mary bar.
    Not that you want to spend more money on bars, but Jones does now make the Ti H bar in a narrower "XC" width that's pretty comparable to the Mary. Or you coul (heresy!) cut your H bar down in 1/4-1/2" increments until it's "just right"
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    Not that you want to spend more money on bars, but Jones does now make the Ti H bar in a narrower "XC" width that's pretty comparable to the Mary. Or you coul (heresy!) cut your H bar down in 1/4-1/2" increments until it's "just right"
    Thanks for the info! I did not know that a narrower H-bar is now available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Try the Lp handlebars they are really strong.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=1#post2803416

neutiquam erro
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    I cut off ~0.5" from each end of my H-bar - I'm much happier with the slightly decreased width, and now the ESI chunky grips fit perfectly. Add some Hope Grip Doctors at the ends, and you're stylin'!

Cheers, Chris

Exclusively Single
    Mary's are by far my favorite bar ever. The more natural position alleviated all the hand and wrist pain that regular bars gave me. I even tried 16* Syntace Low Risers.

But, I really would like to have a Mary that's flat; no rise (or drop as I have them). I know I could get a custom BS bar or something, but I just can't afford that. And I don't like the rearward offset of the grip area that the H-bars have.

So from what is currently available the Marys are tits.

32by18.blogspot.com

flat mary's?

check out the On-One Fleegles
    mabuhay ang ReboluSSyon!