Aug 2004

Marin Pine Mountain - anyone try ?

Saw this interesting bike -
    It's steel
    It's a 29er
    Anyone try it ?

mtbr member
    Yes.

It rides really nice. cockpits are a little short on them. I'm 5'9" and on a 17" test bike and it is okay but I run the saddle all the way back on the offset FSA post. I probably woulda been more comfy on a 19" frame in terms of ETT - but then standover would have been comprimised.

The bike rides great though. Very responsive. Not a harsh ride whatsoever. Climbs well. Not a ton of tire clearance in back but enough - especially for drier climates.

Overall a very good value.

Hope this helps.

Mark

mtbr member
    I own one. Bought it a year ago. I love it. I did make a slight modification, in that I swapped the suspension fork for a rigid one. It is very balanced in handling, meaning it climbs great, stable descender and handles tight turns well (for a 29er).

While the frame isn't the lightest on the market, it is very durable. I've had a few unintentional dismounts in some rock gardens, and all I've done is scratch the paint. No problems with the EBB either. If I had to do it over again, I would still buy it.

I agree with MMcG (Erin Go Bragh) in the sizing. I am 5'10" and a 19" fits me perfectly.

Meat Clever
    6'2" riding a 20.5 size large, which is the minumum effective TT length that is feasible for me (fits from a reach perspective without a ridiculously long stem) with a relatively tall stand over height. First 29er, so no experince to compare other than to previous 26ers. Bike is taking a beating and is more confidence inspiring in fast corners and descents than previous 26er. Climbs well. Handling is not a snappy (flickable?) as 26" bike, but is plenty responsive and has not been a handicap in tight switchbacks. Agree with MMcG that ride is not harsh (compared to old alu 26" HT).
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I had a very brief spin on one a year ago. The only thought that really remains is 'fun'. Pretty thorough test report, eh? It seemed like a very nice steel hardtail.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com