Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mangled link

713 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Rainman 
#1 ·
My first experience with a broken link on my chain. What would've caused this sort of link destruction? A side effect of the torque involved in singlespeed riding? A poorly re-assembled chain (I have no idea if this might've been a link that I'd played around with when messing with my chain length)?

When you guys break chains, is this what it looks like?

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
kMC MAster link

SpinWheelz said:
My first experience with a broken link on my chain. What would've caused this sort of link destruction? A side effect of the torque involved in singlespeed riding? A poorly re-assembled chain (I have no idea if this might've been a link that I'd played around with when messing with my chain length)?

When you guys break chains, is this what it looks like?
My Kmc 1/8 chain had a faulty master link, the plate was not compleately flush with the pin, I am sure this caused my chain to derail off the freewheel, and now I am almost recovered, from a hole by my elbow, have had it covered since last wednesday when it happened, it was too big of a hole to stich, so it's just going to be a slow painfull, scabbing and anti-biotic ointment regimian.

#7 ·
So is there any concensus of what would've caused this sort of link failure, for it to tear from the middle of the plate towards the pin, rather than from the pin outwards? I can only imagine that with my old frame, the whole bottom bracket/crankset assembly wasn't anywhere as stiff as it is on my new bike and the chain might've tried to skip and go caught in a weird way on a tooth and the plate got twisted as a result.

I also suffer from an overactive imagination.

#8 ·
Twister

I think you are correct when guessing that the chain may have crawled up on a tooth some where. You may want to take look around for a "Nick" in the cog or chain ring, I have had mine pop when I start pedaling on off camber areas. It usually only happens when I'm running the chain on the looser side.

#9 ·
Broken chains...?

Can I ask you guys.. what chain lube are you all using on your chains ?

I never have chain problems, maybe it's because I run two chains which I alternate fairly regularly, and use Rock & Roll chainlube, which is a 'clean' lube and works very well for me.

I havn't had a broken chain for years. Maybe I don't ride hard enough..lol. :)

Seriously, I ride every day, and really don't have any chain troubles.

R.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.