Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Making a wide base rear cog

Let me just start off by saying yes, I am a cheap SOB. Now lets get down to business.

Has anyone tried riveting or otherwise attaching smaller cogs on either side of a Shimano BMX cog to widen it? This is to prevent it from digging into the freehub body. Yes, I could just drop $30 on a King cog every other month, or I could just drop $5 on a new BMX cog. I am basing this on how fast I go through cassettes, since I am new to SSing.

I figured I could just grind down the teeth on a old cassette cog or even new BMX ones until I had say 1/2" tall rings. I could then just rivet or bond these on either side.

Ted

CEO Product Failure
    Quote Originally Posted by tedsti
    Yes, I could just drop $30 on a King cog every other month, or I could just drop $5 on a new BMX cog. I am basing this on how fast I go through cassettes, since I am new to SSing.
    I've yet to have to chain my cog on my SS and I rode it 500+ mi's this year. I don't think SS drive trains wear as fast as geared drive trains.

One gear to rule them all
    You can afford an alloy freehub body, but you can't afford wide base cogs???
    If you are using a steel freehub body, you don't need a wide base cog.

Let me just start off by saying yes, I am a cheap SOB. Now lets get down to business.

Has anyone tried riveting or otherwise attaching smaller cogs on either side of a Shimano BMX cog to widen it? This is to prevent it from digging into the freehub body. Yes, I could just drop $30 on a King cog every other month, or I could just drop $5 on a new BMX cog. I am basing this on how fast I go through cassettes, since I am new to SSing.

I figured I could just grind down the teeth on a old cassette cog or even new BMX ones until I had say 1/2" tall rings. I could then just rivet or bond these on either side.

Ted
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Seems like your cheapness is spoiling things for you. Live a little, eh?
    My King cog (steel) lasted me about 4-6 months max.
    My Boone Ti is finally giving up the ghost at the 1 year point.
    Of course, you'll whine, complain, stamp your feet...."$60 FOR A COG?," as you cheap dudes will do...
    But you won't have to think about it for another year at least..you'll be glad you did.

Also, you could get even more than a year if you weigh less (torque less) than I do at 250lbs.

"Cheap SOB's die sad and discontent."

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Your idea has been done. Do not let the bling single speeders knock you down. I have used a 18t DX cog with two 14t pull off cassette cog. I bolted them together.
    It is all about the riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Also, you could get even more than a year if you weigh less (torque less) than I do at 250lbs.

I weigh 200 lbs and grind up the hills. Also, the less I spend on this, the more I can spend on other things.

Ted

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I weigh 200 lbs and grind up the hills. Also, the less I spend on this, the more I can spend on other things.

Ted
    Like what? Ice cream?
    Isn't riding something you are passionate about? In my book, that makes it worth it.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by ttvrdik
    Your idea has been done. Do not let the bling single speeders knock you down. I have used a 18t DX cog with two 14t pull off cassette cog. I bolted them together.
    It is all about the riding.
    *tsk, tsk

The term is "blinglespeed," son.
    But that isn't me, I choose parts that work/last the best, not look the best.
    Sometimes you have a to pay a bit more for that.

And I'm not trying to "knock him down," instead trying to raise him up out of his (and your's apparently too) grave of stingyness!

So you frankenstein 3 cogs together? THAT, my friend isn't about riding, it's about macgyvering (that's a verb now) parts together.

But if that's fun, whatever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Like what? Ice cream?
    Isn't riding something you are passionate about? In my book, that makes it worth it.
    Like more bikes...need to get a road bike.
    Plus, like I said, I am new to SSing. So, if this gear ratio works for me, maybe I will buy a king down the road, or invest in a SS specific hub/wheel. I am very passionate about riding, but I am also passionate about not going into debt over it.

Ice cream - What do you think put me at 200 lbs.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    So you frankenstein 3 cogs together? THAT, my friend isn't about riding, it's about macgyvering (that's a verb now) parts together.

But if that's fun, whatever.
    It is about macgyvering, and it is fun. If I can make or modify my own parts, it is what makes my bike mine. It is also people tinkering like this that leads to inovation. Granted, this example is nothing special. What if Chris King never decided to try to build his own headsets and hubs? You can only ride for so long when it is -10 F outside. I need something to keep me busy.

Ted

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Like what? Ice cream?
    Waisting $60 for a $5 cog. You could but 10 to 12 Dx cogs. This guy might want to spend the extra $55 on his family or other projects. Why throw your hard earned money on something that will wear out. Sorry about the bling.

livin' large
    undefinedMcgyvering is sooo fun, just don't get cheesed off when your creation doesn't work so hot (i sometimes wish real life was like TV ,then It would all work out in the end And you'd get the girl)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ttvrdik
    Waisting $60 for a $5 cog. You could but 10 to 12 Dx cogs. This guy might want to spend the extra $55 on his family or other projects. Why throw your hard earned money on something that will wear out. Sorry about the bling.
    Exactly.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I just want to know how MacGyver could stand to wear that leather jacket ALL the time..didn't he get hot?

mtbr member

surly wide based cog?

Any news on the rumoured surly wide based cog? that would be cheap right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3
    Any news on the rumoured surly wide based cog? that would be cheap right?
    Under $30 but he does not have any at this time.
    http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking...PCASSSS/FW2076

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Something similar

I have a sandwich of cogs and spacers from a cassette, held together with split pins. These are pins in the shape of hollow cylinders that are split along their length; they look like a little square of steel rolled into a cylindar. My sandwich consists of 4 spacers, a drive cog and two cut down cogs acting as steel spacers. I found pins (at local big box hardware store) that tap into the 3 holes in the spacers and cogs and hold the sandwich together securely.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hu-man
    I have a sandwich of cogs and spacers from a cassette, held together with split pins. These are pins in the shape of hollow cylinders that are split along their length; they look like a little square of steel rolled into a cylindar. My sandwich consists of 4 spacers, a drive cog and two cut down cogs acting as steel spacers. I found pins (at local big box hardware store) that tap into the 3 holes in the spacers and cogs and hold the sandwich together securely.
    Split pins are a great idea. These would ensure a nice tight fit so that the pressure is distributed across all the cogs/spacers.

Ted

banned
    Apr 2004

Padre, you are a Clyde + 50?

My King cog (steel) lasted me about 4-6 months max.
    My Boone Ti is finally giving up the ghost at the 1 year point.
    Of course, you'll whine, complain, stamp your feet...."$60 FOR A COG?," as you cheap dudes will do...
    But you won't have to think about it for another year at least..you'll be glad you did.

Damn Padre, no wonder why you go through so much bike stuff, put down the weights already eh.

Steamroller

cog plus 2 spacers

Get 2 cheap steel spacers put a cog in between and weld/braze them together. Result is a cheap reasonably durable wide base cog. Or, contact Walt, that's who I heard the idea from and he may sell them, or maybe only to people who buy a bike from him.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    that surly cog is good looking - I need one for the GF's bike.
    The shops in town wanted 75 bucks for a king cog!!!!

absolutely ridiculous.

www.justthebonnet.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    Get 2 cheap steel spacers put a cog in between and weld/braze them together. Result is a cheap reasonably durable wide base cog. Or, contact Walt, that's who I heard the idea from and he may sell them, or maybe only to people who buy a bike from him.
    Good, simple, inexpensive idea. Not all of us live in Cali and have money to through around.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

mtbr member
    $75 for a King cog? jesus christ. is that CAD? King doesn't like when shops underprice their products....i wonder how they feel about charging 2x MSRP?

there's a 16t King cog on ebay right now.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Like what? Ice cream?
    LOL! Hilarious reply.

[heading to kitchen to make a milkshake now...be right back]

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

even cheaper

...I am a cheap SOB....Has anyone tried riveting or otherwise attaching smaller cogs on either side of a Shimano BMX cog to widen it?...
    I'm even cheaper. I thought about this and went "Nah, I'll wait until I see some damage on the hub"

Still waiting.

SS is about riding, not consuming (apart from icecream, milkshakes & beer)

But I like the idea

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast