Sofa King We Todd Did

Making a case to go singlespeed

This past weekend, I brought a buddy along with me when I went to give my singlespeed mutant a thorough thrashing. Typically he rides a Cannondale Super V, but thought he might look like a right tw@t riding around a full-susser on a bike path in the Bronx, heading down to the trail area. So he brought this old school Trek mountain bike.

Old, but what a friggin' gorgeous piece of work this was. This ride was SCREAMING to be turned into a project of sorts. I dunno what model it was. 830, maybe? It said 'Singletrack' on the side of it. Probably steel. In any case, this thing was shaped like a road bike - just like the older mountain bikes - with the perfectly horizontal top tube. Best parts about this bike was the finish and detail. Every joint has these sweet details on them not dissimilar to the Rivendell bikes. Nice curvy bits that wrapped around each joint. Not one ugly scar-like weld was visible. And the paintjob. Color was very close to the shade of blue of my own bike, but there was a crackled finish all over. Even down to the matching rigid fork. My God, was this thing a diamond in the rough.

Now, here's my issue. I LOVE projects. I go from one to the other. He's not so keen. He hasn't really caught on to what the fuss is about when it comes to riding a singlespeed bike (maybe 'cause my bike was a bit crap, I dunno). He claims that he's too busy and wrapped up with other things to bother with this old bike he bought a long time ago.

I did a piss poor job in under 5 minutes trying to convince him that he needs to work on refurbishing this bike. And rather than messing around with gears and crap, just turn it into a singlespeed bike and give the whole singlespeed thing a go. He wasn't going for it. And that's why I turn to you lot. It took you guys about 30 seconds to convince me that giving the singlespeed thing a go was big and clever. I need to some crafting some sound reasoning to help convince him that this old rig is worthy of his time and effort.

Help me out, mates. This bike is so totally worth it.

P.S. It's too big for me, otherwise I'd buy it off him and work on it myself even at the risk of wifey getting pissed off at me and withholding sex for 6 months as a result.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    devil's advocate: not everyone needs to be converted. Some people don't and never will get it man...

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Hang on a sec, maybe I'm coming across as some crazed zealot here. Trust me, I'm not. My primary objective is to refurbish the bike. It's sweet as hell. To that end, I figured it'd be easier to refurbish the bike as a singlespeed than to have to mess around with gear components. Cheaper, too.

intentionally left blank
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbrubb
    devil's advocate: not everyone needs to be converted. Some people don't and never will get it man...
    i think bubbrubb might be right.

if you're converted in 30 seconds, you were meant to be converted.

if you're not, it's just not your thing.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The 830 was a lower-mid level bike. Lugged steel frame and very nice bikes. Well worth keeping it in riding condition. Does not need to be brought up to current "tech" standards.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Whatever! Just crash it!

Let your light shine...

I hate it when people go biblical on me. I'm gonna do it on you though 'cause that's the kind of SOB that I am.

The best way to convert someone to riding SS is to let them see how much fun you have riding yours. If they're interested, they'll ask to ride your bike. By that time they're usually hooked.

Later

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Hang on a sec, maybe I'm coming across as some crazed zealot here. Trust me, I'm not. My primary objective is to refurbish the bike. It's sweet as hell. To that end, I figured it'd be easier to refurbish the bike as a singlespeed than to have to mess around with gear components. Cheaper, too.
    nah, you're cool... didn't see it that way at all.
    I'm just saying, imagine being a casual MTB'r... SS isn't all that appealing.

There are only some of us crazy people out there who "get it" and will always get it.

For example, there's a guy I know who I've been riding w/ regularly for over 10 years. he's a decent rider, but is only in for the weeknight local loops, never is available to do weekend multi-hours because he doesn't get it. The only way he's in for an adventure is if its in Vermont or something. He has lots of bikes, but never rides any of them hard. After seeing me whoop ass on a SS, he's going to convert his old Voodoo into a SS too... while I'm happy he's going to try, I don't think he'll take to it b/c he's just not that breed of biker... his biggest motivation is to be able to say "I'm a SS'er!" and that is all.

I think you have to ahve to be willing to welcome and embrace a bit of pain and suffering to appreciate the wonder of the SS.

Inrideo est vita
    Steal it and convert it on the sly... then give it back and when he gets angry and tries to chase you, you ride away so he has to follow on the only bike available a SS. After a block he'll be converted...
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    As bubbrubb said, alot of people won't understand why and painfully never will, those that do absolutely love it. Same deal with any other thing in life, some get, some do but won't and some will never, for me at the moment is off-road fixie... WTF? I need more time to grasp the concept.

Then again you could do what SSteel suggested...
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteel
    Steal it and convert it on the sly... then give it back and when he gets angry and tries to chase you, you ride away so he has to follow on the only bike available a SS. After a block he'll be converted...
    Cheeky Canadian.