Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Magna Target fixie...

I saw in the ads a magna fixie for 90 bucks. What is your opinion of it?

MAGNA Silver / Red / White Fixie - 28" : Target
    Phat Cycles Sea Breeze Single Speed

beautiful jackass
    Well it's got:

Quote Originally Posted by target
    Wheel Features: Pneumatic Tires
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's garbage. But maybe I'm just a bike snob.

mtbr member
    pos

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Guess my opinion depends on the intended use. Most "fixies" I've seen are just roof rack decor. So it'd be perfect for that, but not good for much else.

mtbr member
    Target? Magna? $90? Fixie!!!!???

I don't think we need to debate the quality but what I want to know is, is it really a fixed gear? If so the lawsuits will be pouring in shortly!

one chain loop
    looks like a flip flop

everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    plastic chainguard for safety

mtbr member
    I have seen a bunch of bikes like this pop up lately. another one is the Thruster "Fixie." utter junk on every level.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    It all depends how hard your gonna ride it...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Is the price and some feel the price means junk? I check it out the other day and besides the lime yellow tires seemed fine. The frame seems great, the brakes are crap but they seem better then my tecktro in initial grab. I just want a simple cheap bike that if it gets stolen, scratched I do not cry after like my GT 5.0 or the Cannondale F5.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Justify it however you like, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that a new bike sold for $100 will be a piece of junk.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RemusRM View Post
    Is the price and some feel the price means junk? I check it out the other day and besides the lime yellow tires seemed fine. The frame seems great, the brakes are crap but they seem better then my tecktro in initial grab. I just want a simple cheap bike that if it gets stolen, scratched I do not cry after like my GT 5.0 or the Cannondale F5.
    The thing's a piece of junk. What makes it worse is the morons that put it together in the back room. I cringe at the thought of someone actually riding one of those bikes and getting hurt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What I am getting from these responses is the price dictates quality. Sadly my last two "expensive" bikes I hated and did not ride much.

mtbr member
    It's a trap!
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    someone came into the shop where I work the other day with a similar bike. he had it a few weeks and the brake pads were worn to nothing, the rear wheel was so badly out of true that i could not get the brake to work, and both tires had bald spots worn through to the threads. there were no pinch bolts on the brake levers, so they just swiveled around on the handlebar. the steam and seatpost had never been greased (which is the fault of the assembler), and the stem was crooked. a lot of the problem is how these bikes are assembled, and this particular rider was not taking good care of this bike, but the flimsy soft materials, crappy spokes, and lack of QC on the production and retail end did not help.

mtbr member
    What I am getting from these responses is the price dictates quality. Sadly my last two "expensive" bikes I hated and did not ride much.

High price does not necessarily guarantee quality but you can rarely buy a quality product for a stupid low price. In general you get what you pay for because manufacturers aren't going to give their stuff away.

I will say that they (Magna's) are looking better than they used to, the dropouts look a little beefier than their former standard of 1 mm thick.

mtbr member
    Seat Features: Adjustable Seat Height

NICE!!!!!!

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    It's a trap!
    luv it!
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    you get what you pay for

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Target? Magna? $90? Fixie!!!!???

I don't think we need to debate the quality but what I want to know is, is it really a fixed gear? If so the lawsuits will be pouring in shortly!
    Yeah I'm surprised. Since most people buying these won't know what they are doing, these are serious accidents waiting to happen. Especially when the cheapo parts like chain and brakes start failing.

mtbr member
    I have seen a few of these department store "fixies" and they always come with a flipflop hub- freewheel on one side and a track cog fixed on the other. the bike is always set up with the freewheel on the chain, so you can change it to fixed if you want. I guess if someone sets it on the track side and gets hurt, the company will deal with some legal garbage but it will the the rider's fault?

metrotuned WoS
    The Target fixie is 20% more expensive than the Wal-Mart fixie. I've seen a couple on the road with the McDonald's color scheme yellow red tires and the bike seems to roll down the road in coasting, not fixed mode. One friend even bought one for the sake of jumping on the bandwagon - he isn't even a bike snob and he considers the $99 fixie a piece of junk. I would recommend avoiding reckless consumption "Can't stop, don't wanna..." and irresponsible landfill.

Tips: If you want to experience single speed, don't shift. If you want to experience single speed and fixed gear, flip your rear hub - remove the disc rotor - install a tomicog e.g. ISO 6-bolt cog. If you want to experience brakeless fixed gear, do the previously mentioned and remove your brakes or don't use them.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I got the walmart thruster (changed the pedals 9/16 so fit my ynot pedal straps)Target & Walmart fixie's are the same( cheap) but they are single & a kickstand- ( free wheel or reverse depends which side the cog is on)- difference I say is the wheels & brake (walmart & target have fat tires & bike shop thin tires )if you upgrade it's better to spend that $200+tax because the pair wheels alone already $200+ also you can get them with a quick release wheels - my suggestion make sure the bike fits you regardless of brand! (Walmart & target size is around 54cm- 56cm - you have long inseam or you tall person 5'7 - 6'1- : FYI: regardless if it is cheap they will steal your bike. -

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    What about the "expensive" bikes did you hate? How did you buy those bikes? Did you go to a dealership and test ride a handful of bikes before picking out the right one or did you just chance it and buy a bike online/without testing it and happened to end up with one that suited you badly?

Buying a brand new $100 bike will always be money wasted in my opinion. At that price everything will be the cheapest possible crap available. I would much rather spend my $100 looking for a decent, used, quality bike and go from there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That is what we refer to as a BSO (Bike Shaped Object) Stay away!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast