mtbr member

m952 Bottom Bracket Set up

I am building up a NOS schwinn homegrown and I need some help with the xtr bottom bracket. I am a decent mechanic but I just skipped most of the splined shimano stuff growing up. I have a m952 BB and a M952 crankset. What is the difference between a version 1 952 bb and a v2 bb? I am hoping since they are both 952 they will work together.
    Also the BB comes with 8 spacers. The frame has a 68mm shell. Anyone out there know how many spacers I need to use and on witch side?
    I am not setting this up single speed, but it seems like a lot of single speeders use this crankset, so I thought I would ask.
    Thanks
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14
    I am building up a NOS schwinn homegrown and I need some help with the xtr bottom bracket. I am a decent mechanic but I just skipped most of the splined shimano stuff growing up. I have a m952 BB and a M952 crankset. What is the difference between a version 1 952 bb and a v2 bb? I am hoping since they are both 952 they will work together.
    Also the BB comes with 8 spacers. The frame has a 68mm shell. Anyone out there know how many spacers I need to use and on witch side?
    I am not setting this up single speed, but it seems like a lot of single speeders use this crankset, so I thought I would ask.
    Thanks
    You have the correct BB. All XTR(M950, M952) BBs use the V1 spline. The later LX and XT stuff used the V2 (version 2) splined BB. There is no such thing as a V2 M952 BB.

Now, about the spacers. Those BBs usually come with 3 spacers I believe. With a 68mm BB shell, you should have one spacer on the non-drive side and two on the drive side. Unless you are using an E type deraileur, than only one on the drive side. The spacers should be 2.5mm wide, you may want to make sure of that if you have that many.

Lastly, if you do a google search for BB-M952, you should be able to find the directions online.