Category Winner

For the love of TOGS

I've been using TOGS since I hyper-extended my thumb before a big month of racing last year. They've made a world of difference for me, especially when riding rigid. I wanted to share this post with all yinzers because I know a lot of people riding through various types of hand pain and numbness. These have really done the trick.

Bad Idea Racing: I'll do my best, but I'm not known for that

Disclaimer. I bought my first pair in May '16. After talking about them constantly since, TOGS did send me a couple pairs in the mail unsolicited. They're on every mountain bike I own now.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Agreed. Something so simple yet so effective.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by khardrunner14 View Post
    Agreed. Something so simple yet so effective.
    I had an easier time making fun of TOGS before I used them tho.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Got mine for the ability to confidently change hand positions on long gravel rides with some trail. Perfect, despite those who make jokes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    I had an easier time making fun of TOGS before I used them tho.
    I admit, I've been interested to try these as I have set my thumb against the hbar at times when I get some minimal hand pain/fatigue. I'll rest my hands that way on the uphills. I thought DJ might make fun of me, but if dicky says they're gold I think I'll have to get over the potential embarrassment and try a pair.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

meatier showers
    Didn't you used to get a nickle each time, Dicky?

=D
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Didn't you used to get a nickle each time, Dicky?

=D
    If this were Facebook, I would like it.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    I have some and I like em. Good for smoother segments of the ride so you can relax your hands. They don't fit well over the aluminum rings on my lock-on grips though.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    They don't fit well over the aluminum rings on my lock-on grips though.
    Is that for sure? Saw another thread where they worked fine.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Tried them when I got my last bike. After the first couple rides I took them off, couldn't ever get the position right and never thought they were very comfortable.

Category Winner
    I have some and I like em. Good for smoother segments of the ride so you can relax your hands. They don't fit well over the aluminum rings on my lock-on grips though.

Strange. I just tried them at home with a lock-on grip and they were fine. Tight fit tho.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner
    Good for smoother segments of the ride so you can relax your hands.
    Here's the other weird thing. The more I ride with them, the more technical of a trail I can handle in this position.

from my blerhg post:

"Wrap your hand around the bar like normal. Now, bend your thumb.

Your thumb doesn't do jack shit down there. It's natural motion is closer to being parallel to the bars than it is wrapping around them. Your fingers are just using your thumb as leverage, and your hand-crotch just takes the beating.

Now look at my hand on the bars with my thumb gripping the nubbin:

I'm actually able to grip the TOGS in line with my normal range of motion. The more technical the trail gets, the more I can increase my grip pressure. The bar isn't banging into my hand crotch either."
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have almost bought them before and then forget about it before I order them. I'm gonna get some ordered tonight. Thanks for the reminder Dicky!

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I bought some a while back. Installed them but could never get them to a position that felt natural, and really didn't like the hardness of them.

I bought some SQ Labs Innerbarends, which are a similar concept, but had a similar experience.

I have actually been happiest with some old school barends placed inside the grips wrapped with bar tape.
    Last edited by big_papa_nuts; 04-02-2017 at 12:28 PM.

aka: Bucky Fikes
    I just received a set a few weeks ago. I was running a KS LEV standard dropper switch so the TOGS didn't fit in to the picture. I just built up a new 1x bike and went to the KS Southpaw so I can run the TOGS, now. They've been on for a bit over a week and I like them. I often ride with my hands/thumb on top to relax my arms when I can. This gives me more positive control when I do this and allows me to maintain that position for longer periods. I'm buying a Southpaw for my singlespeed Karate Monkey so I can make room for TOGS on that bike, too.

As for fit over grip lock rings? Not having an issue with my Oury or my Lizard Skins Peatty's. The lock ring tucks right up close.
    Always ride with a purpose.

chasing simplicity
    Got some. Came with a pair socks. No lie. They're great! Haven't tried the Togs yet tho.
    I know what it's like to be dead. "To Die & Live In LA."

western NC
    Interesting product. But the only time I'm thumb over is on smooth sections where I can relax anyway, which negates the need for the TOGS, at least for me. And I agree about the crazy looking wrist angle. How can that be comfortable? Or are you just tyring to replace hyperextended thumbs with hyperextended wrists? LOL

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Just fit over SRAM foam lockons.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTurd View Post
    My wrist hurts just looking at that picture. Hey, if it works use it!
    I wasn't sitting on the bike when I took the photos (just standing next to it). I was trying to demonstrate how my thumb works gripping the bars in a couple different ways... and was too lazy to get on the bike or get my wife to take the pictures.

Sorry.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Or are you just tyring to replace hyperextended thumbs with hyperextended wrists? LOL
    I posted up above. I was standing next to the bike (non-drive side) in the photos... too lazy to jump on the saddle. I was only trying to show where my thumb goes.

Sorry bout that.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Strange. I just tried them at home with a lock-on grip and they were fine. Tight fit tho.
    I have a couple of randome lock rings in my parts bin that I tried. they are all around 34mm in diameter. I have to shove the TOGS over the ring and it forces the tab to bend inwards a little. I am not entirely comfortable with what this does the the TOGS for fear that it's stressing the material. I can either run the clamp a little inboard of the grip, grind a little of the material away so it fits better, or just run it as-is and hope it's not stressing the material.

I will shoot the TOGS folks and email to ask about this.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

western NC
    I posted up above. I was standing next to the bike (non-drive side) in the photos... too lazy to jump on the saddle. I was only trying to show where my thumb goes.

Sorry bout that.
    Gotcha.

mtbr member
    We have opposable thumbs, might as well use them! How do you hold a golf club? Baseball bat? Broom? I find having my thumb wrapped around the bar is a requirement in techy terrain if I want to stay on the bike. For smoother terrain I just relax my thumb, try different hand positions, even drape it over the bars sometimes. But for most of my riding, my thumb needs to be wrapped around the bar.

Disclaimer: I've never tried TOGS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    For smoother terrain I just relax my thumb, try different hand positions, even drape it over the bars sometimes.
    I think that's the idea. You can relax your grip but still have control over the bike and access to brakes. They're cheap so not a big deal if you try them and don't like them.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    We have opposable thumbs, might as well use them! How do you hold a golf club? Baseball bat? Broom?
    Bad examples. Unless you are using these items for hours on end to repeatedly beat something, you would not simply wrap your fingers and thumb around them. Also,
    For the love of TOGS-golf-grip-3-types.jpg

Name:  grip2.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  184.3 KB
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Unless you are using these items for hours on end to repeatedly beat something
    That sounds exactly like a round of golf!

Seriously, both of those pictures show the thumb at least partially wrapped around the item. Using TOGS would put the thumbs on the same side as the other fingers, clearly not the case, you just don't have much control when they are there. Clearly the TOGS help get you some control back, but it just doesn't look comfortable to me. My thumb doesn't naturally move up there. If it works for some people, great, and agreed it's a cheap thing to try. And I will repeat, I've never tried them.

powered by peanut butter.
    Has anyone tried these with Ergon grips yet? I've had some hand numbness issues,which Ergons mostly, but not completely, solved. I'm TOG-curious, but just from eyeballing it, I think that to grip them I'd have to move my hand away from the Ergon's paddle, which would decrease the benefit from the grip. But maybe the different hand position makes the Ergon's extra support less important? Anyone have experience with this combo?
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    I bought some a while back. Installed them but could never get them to a position that felt natural, and really didn't like the hardness of them.

I bought some SQ Labs Innerbarends, which are a similar concept, but had a similar experience.

I have actually been happiest with some old school barends placed inside the grips wrapped with bar tape.
    I used the SQ-labs Inner-barends on my hardtail for a 65 mile gravel race yesterday and it completely changed my opinion of them. I would say I spent 75% of the time on them. I really liked that it gave me a position reminiscent of the hoods on a road bar, but with the ability to have the confidence, capability, and control of a MTB literally an inch away. Which was nice when dealing with the many deep sand sections encountered on the ride.

I was so happy with them I am going to leave them on the bike to see if they work well on MTB rides too. They are actually in contention to replace the more traditional barends I use on my "adventure" bike, though I do appreciate the length of the traditional barends as it allows me an additional hand position. I also width the Inner-barends had some padding and may Plastidip them, though they are shaped well enough to work surprising well without.

mtbr member
    me too. 100k Castell Grind yesterday. spent 3/4 of my time on the TOGS. switched to my nromal grips when the road got nasty but anything remotely smooth was comfy on the TOGS.

And I will repeat, I've never tried them.
    I have tested your theory personally and they work for me.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If this were Facebook, I would like it.
    I think you could "rep" him, if people still do that?
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by heartland View Post
    Has anyone tried these with Ergon grips yet? I've had some hand numbness issues,which Ergons mostly, but not completely, solved. I'm TOG-curious, but just from eyeballing it, I think that to grip them I'd have to move my hand away from the Ergon's paddle, which would decrease the benefit from the grip. But maybe the different hand position makes the Ergon's extra support less important? Anyone have experience with this combo?
    I recently put these on my Krampus with ergon grips. The trails are still muddy around here, so I only have a few miles of trail riding on them. So far I like them a lot. I have arthritic thumbs and spend a lot of time with my thumbs on top of the grips. This gives me a more secure perch for my thumb and I can ride comfortably through more terrain without wrapping my thumb around the bar. I still wrap for more tech terrain, but the bike is rigid so it wants to jam my hands off the bars sometimes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I find it interesting that the majority of individuals posting negative feedback on the product have never used it.

I grabbed a pair out of interest and have ended up putting them on every MTB I own since. I find they add a nice option for hand and wrist rest. I also use them every time I need to get out of my saddle to mash up a climb. They add leverage to control the front end. I often find I'm on the TOGS for probably 50% of a SSingletrack ride.

mtbr member
    I picked up a pair for my singlespeed recently. I use ESI chunky grips and they install quickly and fit great. I had to move my brake line over a bit so that my thumb was not hitting it. You install them just tight enough so that they can be adjusted fore or aft depending on where you want them.

I really like them. They help when out of saddle climbing and give you a little extra grip pressure. They help get your weight down on the back tire to go up climbs. My SS has a handlebar remote lockout so I normally switch that on and go into the TOGS when mashing up climbs.

Definitely worth a try especially if you ride singlespeed...

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I've shortened my Chunkies to 105mm on the Unit which was about 5mm too short.
    Perfect feel, just a little restrictive for hand positioning.
    On the Chameleon, I went with 115 and then down to 110mm. More betterer.
    If I'm not climbing/descending at the limits of traction, I'm on the Togs.
    Before Togs, my thumbs were over the top of the bars anyway, just with less control.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    I've shortened my Chunkies to 105mm on the Unit which was about 5mm too short.
    Perfect feel, just a little restrictive for hand positioning.
    On the Chameleon, I went with 115 and then down to 110mm. More betterer.
    If I'm not climbing/descending at the limits of traction, I'm on the Togs.
    Before Togs, my thumbs were over the top of the bars anyway, just with less control.
    Don't know if you knew it, but ESI has been doing custom shortened grips. Available on the TOGS website.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    I bought a set of TOGs and instantly love them. One TOG did come with a defect that was quickly and promptly taken care of by a very nice warranty department at very off hours to make sure the problem was solved quickly, probably on of the best warranty departments ive seen. i have since ridden with them and actually laughed when i first jumped on and natural went right into them without thinking about it. I have about 100 miles on them so far and they are definitely worth it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Same here! Love at first use! Wanted a set and LBS went ahead and brought in a couple extra sets. I'll be buying those as well for my other bikes.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Don't know if you knew it, but ESI has been doing custom shortened grips. Available on the TOGS website.
    Mine are even more custom.
    I got hinged carbon Togs because I'm already using Chunkies and didn't want to remove them and just shortened them down with a blade.

Easier than getting new grips from almost halfway around the world.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Just ordered a couple of pair of the new Flex Togs and forgot to use the discount code. Sent them an email and Rita gave me the discount

Looks like these ones have a flex tip, 15 angle and can be installed without pulling the grips off.
    They didn't have yellow, so went with black...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just ordered a couple of pair of the new Flex Togs and forgot to use the discount code. Sent them an email and Rita gave me the discount

Looks like these ones have a flex tip, 15 angle and can be installed without pulling the grips off.
    What discount code?

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm4x4 View Post
    What discount code?
    Yeah...do tell! I was thinking of buying a set of the new flexible to see what they're like compared to the standard TOGS I have been running for close to a year. I hadn't noticed that the flexibles were hinged...or are they? How can you put them on otherwise without grip removal?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Yeah...do tell! I was thinking of buying a set of the new flexible to see what they're like compared to the standard TOGS I have been running for close to a year. I hadn't noticed that the flexibles were hinged...or are they? How can you put them on otherwise without grip removal?
    They are just flexier so you "spread" them over the bar and screw to tighten like the older style. The only one with the hinge is the carbon version, for obvious reasons. there a small embedded video on the right side of the screen.

https://togs.com/collections/togs-1/.../new-flex-togs

...but yes, discount code....

Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    They are just flexier so you "spread" them over the bar and screw to tighten like the older style. The only one with the hinge is the carbon version, for obvious reasons. there a small embedded video on the right side of the screen.

https://togs.com/collections/togs-1/.../new-flex-togs

...but yes, discount code....
    Ahhhh...so the whole dammed thing is flexy? I wasn't thinking OOTB, I guess. I assumed the "flexy" was just the tip of the little chingas. Ok, waiting for a code...bring it!

wanna ride bikes?
    What are people with Shimano brakes doing? I can't get my thumbs down in the sweet spot because the Shimano handlebar clamp is big and bulky. I can't move the brake lever inward any farther either. I'm not getting full enjoyment of my Togs because Shimano. And I won't give up my Shimano, which are on everything of course.

I'm also probably going to grab a pair of the new ones. I think the ergonomics will be significantly better. Looking forward to checking them out.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Hmmm....non-issue with my XT's as I run them just a bit more than an inch inboard of the Togs and grip edge.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I'm running carbon ones on the Unit with Guide RS brakes and the Chameleon with XT's.
    No issues with either.
    I'm also running 110mm ESI Chunkies.

https://www.facebook.com/biketogs/po...263632521793:0
    TOGS15

TOGS15
    Groovy! Order placed. Green flexies for the Stumpy Expert

mtbr member
    I find myself putting my thumbs up otb for flats so having something to improve grip allowing me to do this on climbs seems a no brainer and with a little discount too.

Blue for me!

mtbr member
    Just ordered a set. I find myself putting my thumbs up there on climbs anyway, we will see.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Even after a number of years of "knowing better", I still catch myself getting arm pump from deathgrip. On climbs, flats, and even some more mundane downhill, I rest my hands flat across the grips and levers just to force. Togs are instrumental in being able to maintain lateral pressure on the bars in this situation. Whodathunkit with something so simple.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

They've just arrived. Not bad for a 14-90 day delivery time frame...

Wow.

WOW is RIGHT!! Mine are set to be here tomorrow and I'm 3 days out. That's California!

mtbr member
    My TOGS have been off and on my main hardtail since buying them last year but when I take them off, my thumbs look for something to do. So they are back on both of my hardtails now and I might even buy myself a pair of the newies to see how they feel on my full sus...

Just thought I'd pass this communique along. I haven't received mine new "Flex" but they did send me this email in anticipation of delivery.

Thanks for purchasing our new Flex Togs!

We have found that the new model is easily over-tightened. So, we are now adding a small wrench and an installation alert sticker on every package that says:

Install Alert:
    Lightly tighten until snug
    (about 3 threads out)
    Togs should move on bar

If you have over-tightened (damaged) your new Flex Togs, or want a wrench, Reply to this email and we'll replace your Togs.

Thanks,
    Neil and Rita Harvey
    Co-founders Togs, llc
    #ridetogs #gothumbsup

If you think TOGS are cool, tag @biketogs on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter!

mtbr member
    Ordered my Flex Togs this evening and received a shipped notification within half an hour, looking forward to trying the new ones out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Haven't ridden them yet, but they're not as smoothly curved at the bottom of the Tog. It's a different shape, they haven't just turned the existing design 15.

Should be able to get a short ride in tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Let us know how you like them or not. I'm curious to hear the opinion of someone who has used both the newer and older styles.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    The bottom curve doesn't fit your thumb as nicely, but when riding, you don't really notice unless you think about it.
    The angle is better. You can have your hands further away from the Tog and still comfortably grip it. The flex is nice too.
    The plastic around the bolt head is more rounded than on the carbon version which is better.
    If they had the base curve of the carbon ones, they'd be even better.

The carbon ones are being relegated to the toolbox as backups.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Shows the curves.
    The Flex Tog also butts up against the grip better.
    For the love of TOGS-20171209_140951.jpg

mtbr member
    I just got mine and will install today, ride tomorrow. They are a little cheaper feeling than I thought and I selected the wrong color.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    I received mine today and mounted them up on my Pivot. I typically run ESI Grips on all of my bikes other than the Pivot as I use the Pivot/WTB Padloc grips supplied with the bike because I actually like them a lot. I was pleased to see the new flex Togs fit against the lock on a lot better than my Carbon Togs would.

Im not sure if I like the fee of the flex as much as the carbons but time will tell. They also feel a little shorter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro