mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Lost in a Sea of Geared 29ers...

So I have an issue. Just about every company in the bike world is building a Carbon 29er MTB... The issue that I have is 99% of the new Carbon 29ers are not Single Speeds, nor can they be single speeds without using a chain tensioner or a White Bros Eno Hub... Now what I am asking is does anyone know of any good frames that are single speedable... There is a catch: I'm not looking for an SWorks, Trek (G/F) Superfly or a Niner at this time. Those are the obvious ones. I'm looking for something different. Intense came out with the "Hard Eddie" but I cannot get over the Ed Hardy graphics... (great concept killed by graphics)...

My latest idea was to build a Scott Scale 29er into a Single Speed, until I ran into one issue. The Bottom Bracket is a BBPF92 or something like that. Basically a really wide BB30 that is pressfit. There is no eccentric that I can find for this.

Currently I am on a GF Rig ('09) and would like to build a lighter racier Single Speed. I like the eccentric BB concept, but want to be on something different than what I can currently find.

Does anyone have any ideas?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Get the Eddie and paint it. If that is truly the frame you want I wouldn't let graphics get in the way.

mtbr member
    Forward EBB a no-go?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The only reason I mentioned the hard eddie, is cause intense is the only company that has a new carbon 29er remembered that the option to go Single is important to some.

I think forward components is Kaput. If someone know otherwise please speak up.

Dinner for wolves
    Why no Niner? Why no ENO? Why so rigid? You are making a mountain outof a molehill.
    Responds to gravity

Birthday Collector
    Why discount the Trek Superfly - the bigger companies can spend the money to develop the CF bikes and make sure they will likely hold up - and have a good warranty in case something happens where it doesn't? If you like your Rig, the SF will just be a lighter stiffer version... Not EBB, but no tensioner required with the sliding dropouts.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The bike mfg's made a mountain of carbon geared 29ers. I'm just searching for a solution to what I feel is a problem. I'd like to build a Scott Scale 29er carbon frame into a single speed without a chain tensioner. I guess the reality is that I'll be stuck on my Rig until it breaks or I hit the grave. I like the option of the BEER components BB30 eccentric conversion, but that only works with a standard BB30, where the Scott is a press fit bb that's 92 mm wide. If riding and racing a S.S. wasn't so fun i'd say screw it and go back to gears.

As far as the Rig, the only thing I like about it is the price, and the Eccentric. I've seen the rear sliders in action on the trek superfly and they move / are mega noisy... at least they are on the local trek shop managers bike. The Spec S Works is just too expensive and the Niner is too heavy, its a better value to just buy the new Air 9 al.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've seen/felt those Niners built up pretty dang light. I raced against Fuzzy a few years back (I got smoked). This was before the carbon frame was production. It was amazing and light.

I have the same bike/same year as you by the way. I though about throwing some Crossmax or something on there to lighten it up.

I also just bought an Air One so the Rig is going away, eventually.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Every bike is waiting to be a SS. the fact that you are unwilling to let the bike be what it wants to be probably means you are a gearie and are looking for an excuse to set the bike up in such a manner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ellsworth Enlightenment. I believe it has interchangeable dropouts.

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    Find a carbon frame with a BB30 and get a BEER Component eccentric for BB30. I think they developed it for the Cannondales but should work for any with a BB30
    EBB30 – RED « BEER Components

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BORDERCOLLIE View Post
    yes. just go Ti. then you don't have to worry about breaking it. I had a carbon frame once, it cracked.

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    Every bike is waiting to be a SS. the fact that you are unwilling to let the bike be what it wants to be probably means you are a gearie and are looking for an excuse to set the bike up in such a manner.
    Not so much tough guy. If I was looking for an excuse for gears I'd buy a bike with gears, as there are about 1 million choices.

As I've said before, I'm not 100% sold on the Eno Hub, and the Beer only fits the BB30 standard, which I thought many companies were doing, until I dug deeper to find out that there are many variations of the BB30 (at least on the dirt side of things).

As for the Niner, does anyone know how they handle compared to the Rig ('09). Maybe the Niner will be the way to go... I guess I just have had some anger brewing about the fact that every company has jumped on the 29er bandwagon with a Carbon Race 29er and most are not able to go single without the Eno or a chain tensioner. Maybe if there where not 50 BB standards this wouldn't be an issue.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ellsworth Enlightenment or Yeti Big Top (1/2 carbon/plastic) can both be run geared or SS and run standard bottom brackets.

Why does it need to be carbon again?

Apr 2007
    Niner A9C is too heavy?

Riiiiiiiight.

banned
    Sep 2010
    I thought SSers were tough guy's, why all the whinin and cryin about not enough choices?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    Niner A9C is too heavy?

Riiiiiiiight.
    That's a reletive statement when compared to the New Air 9, the weight vs cost is offset.

So with that being said, is the ride quality of the Carbon Air 9 Worth the extra cost over One 9 (Aluminum)?

The more I mill over this, the more I am convinced that Niner is the way to go.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    I thought SSers were tough guy's, why all the whinin and cryin about not enough choices?

No doubt! I say he should get a Karate Monkey and put some fake carbon fiber stickers on it.

Toughen up buttercup!

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by waterxracer585 View Post
    That's a reletive statement when compared to the New Air 9, the weight vs cost is offset..
    I guess I didn't know price was being factored into this. You should get an $80 Nashbar frame, then. Best bang for buck.

In all honesty, why would you go from one aluminum frame to another? If you've got $800+ to put into your bike, get a better wheelset.

Ovaries on the Outside
    If you've got $800+ to put into your bike, get a better wheelset.
    OP, I agree. Just make sure your rear wheel can take a cassette.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    OP, I agree. Just make sure your rear wheel can take a cassette.
    Done and done... Hope SP II hubs build with alloy nipples, DT Swiss competiton spokes on Stans crest rims tubless. I'd spring for carbon hoops but I don't have that kind of coin laying around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I guess I didn't know price was being factored into this. You should get an $80 Nashbar frame, then. Best bang for buck.

In all honesty, why would you go from one aluminum frame to another? If you've got $800+ to put into your bike, get a better wheelset.
    When the weight difference is 80 grams is it worth spending an extra grand to have carbon? If so, then this is the answer I guess...

I still think that there should be more single speedable frame made... I guess no one else agrees.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    If weight is such a big deal you should just get one of these and maybe you can fit some cross tires on it. I think it checks in at 15.5lbs:

You might be able to squeeze 650B onto an Ibis tranny. Just think of all the weight you'll save with those slightly smaller wheels!

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by waterxracer585 View Post
    When the weight difference is 80 grams is it worth spending an extra grand to have carbon? If so, then this is the answer I guess...
    I'm guessing you've never ridden a cf frame? Test ride one. It's personal preference whether the extra $1k is worth it or not.

You should also head over to the weight wiener forum. I've never been there, but I hear it's the bomb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm guessing you've never ridden a cf frame? Test ride one. It's personal preference whether the extra $1k is worth it or not.

You should also head over to the weight wiener forum. I've never been there, but I hear it's the bomb.
    This is the feedback I am looking for. I don't care about the weight difference I just want to know if the handling of the Carbon VS the Aluminum is worth the price difference. You are correct, I've not riden a Carbon 29er mtb... Just on the road, and for road bikes I feel the difference of carbon vs aluminum is huge. I take that back, in '91 I owned a Giant Cadex (Carbon tubes w/ Aluminum lugs), but that was long ago and many things have changed in 20 years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think the ride difference between carbon and aluminum is way overblown (same with steel). The tires you run make much more of a difference.

Witty McWitterson
    go custom. I'm sure Calfee, Parlee or anyother hand crafter will be happy to build, and charge handsomely, a nice unique carbon based riding mechanism. Why does everyone always over look the custom route?
    Just a regular guy.