mtbr member
    Jun 2008

lost my chainring

so i was riding my gary fisher wahoo SS convert over to girl friends place. When I hear a creak and look down at the crank. seemingly in one pedal stroke i have lost all 4 chainring bolts. Neither the chain or the crank are broken. It happened on a pretty busy road during rush hour so i couldn't look for the remains of the bolts. So def going to get some steal chainring bolts and check their tension often. This happen to anyone else?

mtbr member
    Happened to me once at Kettle Moraine - going up a hill. Cranks which I still have were 4 bolt LX mated to a Salsa SS chainring. Snap krackle and pop happened and I had to walk a loooong time to get to the parking lot - thank you Wisconsin for the state bird - the mosquito.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The only time I went to Levis a steel chainring bolt ripped out and folded my Surly ring in the first five minutes. Now I always carry extras.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    The only time I went to Levis a steel chainring bolt ripped out and folded my Surly ring in the first five minutes. Now I always carry extras.
    those surly rings are crap anyways. I tacoed one without losing a bolt or smacking it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The moral of the story is to check the tension regularly, steel ones will losen up on you too.

Quote Originally Posted by jcufari
    so i was riding my gary fisher wahoo SS convert over to girl friends place. When I hear a creak and look down at the crank. seemingly in one pedal stroke i have lost all 4 chainring bolts. Neither the chain or the crank are broken. It happened on a pretty busy road during rush hour so i couldn't look for the remains of the bolts. So def going to get some steal chainring bolts and check their tension often. This happen to anyone else?