mtbr member

Looking for a titanium fork.

Need one with an 1 1/8 steerertube and suspension corrected. Any ideas where to get one?

One gear to rule them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Francine
    Need one with an 1 1/8 steerertube and suspension corrected. Any ideas where to get one?
    Spicer, Sibex, On One, Morati
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

75% Mountain cycle

Go Morati - the others are bad news

A while back there was a lot of talk about the Spicer and other brands being way too flexy and breaking. I saved someones photo of their broken spicer fork attached.

I think the Morati's are around $600. You may be better off spending your hard earned (and heavily taxed) money on a nice custom cromo fork.

Do a search here for Ti fork threads and see for yourself. I don't remember the story about the fork in this photo but I think it was a genuine JRA (Just riding along).
    Attached Images Attached Images

formerly Giantxc

Spicer

I think Gene's supplier has corrected this problem. I bought one from him last spring and have raced on it, ridden it through very technical terrain and have had no problems (and have been generally very happy with the fork). I check it regularly for any indication of stress nonetheless.

mtbr member
    I have a Spicer Ti fork. It is brand new but has the steerer tube cut down. It is 80mm suspension corrected with rim brake posts (no disc mounts). I think I'm going to list it on eBay or in the classifieds pretty soon I think. I'm never going to use it.

As for strength issues, you can talk to Gene @ Spicer. He says that they are superlight forks and are not intended to be jumped at all. It weighs 1.3lbs, actually a little less. I think its closer to 1.28 lbs. They are supposed to be very comfortable to ride.

The Top Cap Guy
    I have a Spicer Ti fork on my bike and it was bought in July of 2003 - June was the switch over to the thicker tubes. So I've had a little over 18 months on mine and I'm not a light weight (220lbs in gear) and I'm not a super smooth or light rider (used to love the use of a Heckler's 5" front and rear suspension). I've done a couple bigger (atleast to me) drops 2-3 footers and I've had no issues. I'm hoping now that I have that much time on the fork that the problems have been fixed.

Hope this helps
    FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Let me ask my wife
    [QUOTE=Cephalopod]I have a Spicer Ti fork. It is brand new but has the steerer tube cut down. It is 80mm suspension corrected with rim brake posts (no disc mounts). I think I'm going to list it on eBay or in the classifieds pretty soon I think. I'm never going to use it.QUOTE]

Check your PM.
    WTB: Syncros 31.8 seatpost
    Syncros threadless 1"x120 or 130mm stem
    Syncros cranks 180mm preferred

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    If the others haven't swayed you, read what Walt thinks of Ti forks, specifically about the rebadged Spicer models...

http://waltworks.com/dev/faq/suck.php
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor