mtbr member
    Feb 2009

... and if we just ... Lookin into new bike.. Need opinins

Hey guys, im new to mtbr. Been reading lots of forums about stuff i really like this site Ive been riding for years. I have an older (98 or 99) Cannondale F500 8 speed. I converted it to single speed for a while but went back to gears. I want a single speed again i miss the simplicity. Im always adjusting things on my geared beast. Im lookin into buyin a new Gary Fisher Rig with my tax money. Anybody have opinions or know of anyone who has a Rig? I would appreciate the help thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i don't know anyone that has one or has ridden one but i really like gary fisher bikes and if i was going to buy a new SS then i would buy a rig. looks like a great bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not a direct answer to your question but here's my .02:
    I'm a huge fan of my Vassago.
    I have a Specialized Stumpy hardtail, an intense 5.5 and my Vassgo is my favorite to ride.....I recently went 2 months not riding it and hoped on it and it fit like a glove.

I alsolike to pick the individual parts to hang on a frame....not always the least expensive option but I have only a few brands I really like for various reasons so I always buy framesets and build them exactly how I like them.

Definitely ride b/f buy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I appreciate the advice. I definately wanna go single speed and a 29er ive heard nothing but good things about them Now all i gotta do is figure out if i want a regular platform pedal or clip in style

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lostsurf1981
    I appreciate the advice. I definitely wanna go single speed and a 29er ive heard nothing but good things about them Now all i gotta do is figure out if i want a regular platform pedal or clip in style
    X2..........trying to find something with disc brakes and think I want a suspension fork to shmooth out the trail chatter and help my hands and wrists. Currently own 08 Spec Rockhopper Disc 29er and 08 Rockhopper 26"...both size XL (21") geared. Bought the parts and was going to convert my 26" but decided that I'm done with 26" wheels. Want to have at least one geared bike for the gnarly trails so don't really want to convert my only 29er to SS....

Not really a fan of sliding dropouts but bought my 29er used to try 29 and love it! What is the best chain tension method for SS? Seems EBBs can creak, sliding drop-out axle can slip, singleator can allow chain to skip (push up seems better than pull down on chain)? Any suggestions on what bikes to look at.....steel....aluminum.....build my own? Like to ride before I buy though.

BTW, I read both stickies and the FAQ on SS.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 02-22-2009 at 11:32 AM.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Sliding drop outs

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    X2..........trying to find something with disc brakes and think I want a suspension fork to shmooth out the trail chatter and help my hands and wrists. Currently own 08 Spec Rockhopper Disc 29er and 08 Rockhopper 26"...both size XL (21") geared. Bought the parts and was going to convert my 26" but decided that I'm done with 26" wheels. Want to have at least one geared bike for the gnarly trails so don't really want to convert my only 29er to SS....

Not really a fan of sliding dropouts but bought my 29er used to try 29 and love it! What is the best chain tension method for SS? Seems EBBs can creak, sliding drop-out axle can slip, singleator can allow chain to skip (push up seems better than pull down on chain)? Any suggestions on what bikes to look at.....steel....aluminum.....build my own? Like to ride before I buy though.

BTW, I read both stickies and the FAQ on SS.
    IMHO sliding drop outs CAN be a bit of a hassle.....until I took some advice from this forum and started using XT skewers - no slipping now at all and I ride a decent gear on terrain that requires ALOT of really hard accelerations and grunt power.
    Frame material....a lot has to do with what your set up will be: I knew I was going full rigid so 29" wheels to roll over stuff easier w/o a fork and steel for a nice compliant ride. Sus fork - maybe alu frame???
    Just my thoughts though and not intended to start a big debate.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Been running the sliders on my Spec 29er all the way forward since it's geared atm....still don't like the idea of em even though I used a torque wrench and the Spec procedure to torque them up. Perhaps I should just convert my 29er since it's made for it and start shopping for the FS 29er that I shouldn't buy but really want for the rugged trails...$$$....

Love the stock Spec Fast Trak 29x2.0 tires, but would be nice to have similar in 29x2.2 or 2.3" for more cush...they aren't great in the mud but do well enough for our type of mud and work great everywhere else that I've been riding lately. Want to keep the rotating mass down.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...