mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Log Lady vs Deadwood

I'm thinking about building a rigid SS and I've narrowed it down to the All City Log Lady and the Salsa Deadwood. It would serve double duty as a mountain bike and a commuter (I park it indoors, it won't get stolen). If I get the Log Lady, I'm considering building it with a 29+ front. I've done my own research and pondering, but I'd like to hear any insight anybody here could offer.

TIA
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Why those two? I would rather own the log lady, but those are totally different bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bigeyedfish View Post
    Why those two? I would rather own the log lady, but those are totally different bikes.
    I think I'm leaning towards the Log Lady too.

I want a SS plus capable steel frame. The Deadwood has versatility on its side, with all its mounting points. But what I like about the Log Lady is that it could theoretically be built as any combination of 26+/27.5/27.5+ in the rear and probably push 29+ in the front, possibly even with the stock fork.

I was also looking at the Surly Instigator 2.0. It's very nice too, but it didn't pique my interest as much as these other two.
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Isn't the Instigator a slacked out "trail" bike? Maybe look at a KM if you're going surly.

ROS 9+ is a sweet bike too.

I like the idea of rigid + bikes for trails but 3 inch tires gotta suck for commuting. Would you get a second set of wheels?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop01 View Post
    Isn't the Instigator a slacked out "trail" bike? Maybe look at a KM if you're going surly.

ROS 9+ is a sweet bike too.

I like the idea of rigid + bikes for trails but 3 inch tires gotta suck for commuting. Would you get a second set of wheels?

I'm not thinking about multiple wheelsets yet. My commute is friendly, short, flat, and easy. It's ok if I'm a little bit slower.

I like the ROS9+ but thought it was weird that they didn't include boost in their recent refresh.
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Log Lady definitely does not fit B+ in the rear.

mtbr member
    I feel like 650b rear with a 29+ front would feel goofy as hell. I know people run different size wheels, but with a skinny rear and mismatched + in the front... I don't know, sounds like a geo nightmare.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by pdxfixed View Post
    Log Lady definitely does not fit B+ in the rear.
    Straight from the log lady info page: Log Lady | All-City Cycles
    "The bike is corrected for a 100mm suspension fork, utilizes 27.5 wheels, has a 44mm headtube, disc brakes, short chainstays, and classic good looks. It is designed around a 27.5 x 2.4 tire with tons of clearance for mud, though not designed as a "plus" bike we have successfully mounted a 27.5 x 2.8 WTB on a 35mm wide Velocity rim with no issues."

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Is 2.8 not considered plus? 2.8 is enough for me, I wouldn't go bigger even the frame would clear it.
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    The 2.8" tire they reference is closer to 2.5" in reality. I've handled a Log Lady in real life and tried to fit tires into it. A WTB Trailblazer (effectively 2.5") is all that could be managed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The 2.8" tire they reference is closer to 2.5" in reality. I've handled a Log Lady in real life and tried to fit tires into it. A WTB Trailblazer (effectively 2.5") is all that could be managed.
    thanks for that info. no log lady then. and I'm not so sure about the deadwood either. i read that the geo is made for drop bars, and going with a flat bar makes the reach too short because it has a short top tube. i imagine you'd need a long stem to make up for it, but i'm not sure if that would have unintended consequences. i'm just not into drop bars anymore. i don't have any interest in that riding position.
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Check out the Krampus and ECR, or wait for Salsa to release their 29"/650B+ hardtail in a month.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Check out the Krampus and ECR, or wait for Salsa to release their 29"/650B+ hardtail in a month.
    About that Salsa...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    will do. thanks.

serious question: how do people know what salsa is going to release in a month?
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood