Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    newble
    Jul 2009

lock ring seized?

Ok so I got a new cog for my bike and the lock ring seems to be... stuck.

I'm not sure if it is normal lefty-loosey. But I figure it is since it seems like righty is getting tighty. I got it to the point where the hub "shaft" actually started to come out instead!! :-/

If worst comes to worst and I need a new hub, how can I figure out what will work with my godspeed cogs? How can I tell what hub I actually have? I mean I dont mind the hub I just think I'm going to foobar what I have. Do I have to re-spoke the rim if I get a new hub?

Thats what they look like.

The bike is a Bianchi SOK 29er.

Thanks guys!!

-Joe

mtbr member
    nope not lefty loosey with lockrings... problem solved.

one chain loop
    if it is seized beyond removal, just unscrew the whole cassette body with 10mm allen key. remove the axle first and insert the allen key inside the cassette. replacing the body is cheaper than replacing the whole wheel.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

newble
    Jul 2009
    Oh I can actually replace the body it self?

I was spinning righty (against my instincts haha) even still it is fricken on there. :-/ Even took a decent amount of skin off my hand because of the lockring haha. Even tried tapping with a hammer. The lock ring is just being demolished basically.

newble
    Jul 2009
    I found free hub body parts on Jenson, but how do I know what will actually work? Haha... I'm so noob :-/

newble
    Jul 2009

bikexor
    Try soaking in Liquid Wrench for a few hours. I had to get the lock ring off a cassette that had been on there for about 15 years; I thought it was going to explode. Also, the lock ring had teeth on it that bit into grooves on the outer most spacer (it was a 7 speed I was converting). It was a serious pain, but eventually came loose.

Also try getting some extra leverage on the lockring wrench and chain whip using like a pipe that fits over the end of either so you can make the effective lever longer.
    Little Shred Riding Hood

newble
    Jul 2009
    Yeah that's what I do for stubbon bolts/nuts on cars :-) I'll definetly soak it today. I'm prepared to buy a replacement free hub body (Hopefully it comes with a new lock ring) just because I figure this could be pretty messed up underneath.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by 550
    Yeah that's what I do for stubbon bolts/nuts on cars :-) I'll definetly soak it today. I'm prepared to buy a replacement free hub body (Hopefully it comes with a new lock ring) just because I figure this could be pretty messed up underneath.
    the free hubs from jenson don't come with a new lock ring
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

newble
    Jul 2009
    Hmm... How do I know which size I need? Or is basically every threaded free hub the same diameter?

The WTB free hub says it fits shimano cogs, so theoretically it is the same size as the shimano?

newble
    Jul 2009
    ok since I think it is a decent idea to document as much as I can on this BS.

Basically from what I can tell the WTB single-duty laser-disc free hub measures just under 33mm.

Which comes out to 1.29". The Shimano loc-rings are 1.29" 24tpi.

I'm going to order the WTB free hub and a Shimano loc-ring and I will post back with my findings.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    i dont think there a different sizes of lock rings for free hubs. it should work alright

newble
    Jul 2009
    Oh ... word. Well I ordered it anyways ... it was 17 bucks.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    17 dollars for a lock ring? thats crazy.
    the wheels MFG Spacer kit comes with spacers cog and lock ring for about 23 bucks

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...speed+Kit.aspx

nothing to see here
    17 dollars includes freehub I think

newble
    Jul 2009
    The WTB freehub(+2 steel bearings) is 41-65 dollars. The whole new assembly is in the 240's+. The lock ring was 10 + 7 shipping (not like I know why it couldn't be put in an envelope. Or even flat rated) The lock ring was purchased from AEBike.com The freehub (If needed) will be from cambria bikes or possibly icycles. Whichever is cheaper.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    really? where did you buy it at?

newble
    Jul 2009
    Buy which at? I haven't bought anything except the lock ring for the moment. I'm hoping the free hub is fine haha. I have dropped so much money lately between the Thule rack locking knob fiasco and some other stuffs. (car mainly)

Retro Grouch
    Ok so I got a new cog for my bike and the lock ring seems to be... stuck.

I'm not sure if it is normal lefty-loosey. But I figure it is since it seems like righty is getting tighty. I got it to the point where the hub "shaft" actually started to come out instead!! :-/

If worst comes to worst and I need a new hub, how can I figure out what will work with my godspeed cogs? How can I tell what hub I actually have? I mean I dont mind the hub I just think I'm going to foobar what I have. Do I have to re-spoke the rim if I get a new hub?

Thats what they look like.

The bike is a Bianchi SOK 29er.

Thanks guys!!

-Joe
    Okay, lets get back to basics. You say your "lockring" is stuck. You later showed a WTB SS hub. Now, WTB like Woodman and Nashbar, use an old style threaded feewheel and use a bottom bracket lockring such as this . If indeed that is the case, I assume you are using a chain whip to hold the freehub and trying to unscrew (lefty loosey) the lock ring with a spanner wrench. If OTOH, if you are trying to remove a standard Shimano style cassette lockring, you will also need a cassette lockring tool. Or am I completely confused? BTW, the Godspeed cog you show will fit on either one.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    can you upload pictures of it?

Retro Grouch
    ok since I think it is a decent idea to document as much as I can on this BS.

Basically from what I can tell the WTB single-duty laser-disc free hub measures just under 33mm.

Which comes out to 1.29". The Shimano loc-rings are 1.29" 24tpi.

I'm going to order the WTB free hub and a Shimano loc-ring and I will post back with my findings.
    Sorry, but your measuring needs a little work. Your WTB freehub measures closer to 34mm (the same as a loose ball bottom bracket). Also your Shimano 1.29 loc-ring is reversed thread to hold down a threaded cog on a track hub.

newble
    Jul 2009
    I used a caliper to measure...maybe the caliper is wrong.(Actually it isn't I use it all the time for the car) I even measured the inside of the spare sprocket I have.

newble
    Jul 2009
    Well the loc-ring is probably stuck now because everything I'm reading ways it is opposite threaded. So yeah. I have already gathered I need a chain whip now that I'm finding out it is not opposite threaded.

Brad that loc-ring you posted is EXACTLY the same one. I guess I'm riding the fail boat.

I just like spending money on the wrong stuff ;-)
    Last edited by 550; 08-09-2009 at 08:09 AM.

Retro Grouch
    Well the loc-ring is probably stuck now because everything I'm reading ways it is opposite threaded. So yeah. I have already gathered I need a chain whip now that I'm finding out it is not opposite threaded.

Brad that loc-ring you posted is EXACTLY the same one. I guess I'm riding the fail boat.

I just like spending money on the wrong stuff ;-)
    This is the reverse thread lockring you don't want to buy; As far as buying wrong parts, don't sweat it. The wrong parts you buy and the stuff you brake or render useless, is just the tuition you pay in the school of bicycle mechanics.

Here's a pic of some track hubs, lockrings and and pimp gold track cogs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ovaries on the Outside
    Blinged out cogs and a formula lockring. Nice. Like you'd be able to see either through mud and grease.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast