mtbr member

little more help please?

Hi,

so i am getting close to finishing my conversion of my old hardrock xc to an ss and ive finished all the easy work but now i am at to rear wheel and the crank.

my two concerns are i dont really have any money at the moment so i was hoping to just use my old chain for my ss chain, and i am wonderin how to achieve this, i dont know much about chains, but can i get some kind of master linkage to link the shortened chain together...
    also my hardrock has rear vertical dropouts and i am wondering if a chain tensioner is absolutely necessary...

thanks.
    brendan

mtbr member
    Chain Tensioner is CRITICAL! Or, very important if you'd like to keep your bike happy. As far as using the old chain, that's perfectly fine ONLY with the chain tensioner. The chain stays taught, and there's no skipping. Others will tell you "Oh, you need to get a new chain cuz the cassette or freewheel and chain wear at the same time! You need it!" Bologna. As far as a chain tensioner goes, you can re-use your old derailleur! Hooray for saving money! All you have to do is adjust the limit screws to make sure your chain line is straight; a mechanic at any local bike shop that doesn't sell super high end bikes can help you out with this.

As far as chain length goes, I'm afraid trial and error is the only way to get the right length. I'm sure there's a video somewhere that can show you how to shorten your chain length the correct way.

mtbr member
    heh, thanks, i searched a little bit around these forums and i found a diy chain tensioner thread...pretty helpful, so i built my own tensioner now i just gotta figure out how to mount it

ill post a pic later...

this is my tensioner...i havent mounted it yet as i still need to space out the freewheel..

which brings me to my final question i hope...
    what is the easiest way to setup a clean chainline so as to avoid skipping as slippage??
    Last edited by k1lluaA; 02-27-2009 at 11:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ruler from whatever front gear you're using straight back... make the spot on your freehub body and put your single cog THERE.
    and nowhere else!