you go ahead
    Feb 2005

A little advice please... 32T vs 36T

So I used one of those programs that ask you for measurements then give you some gear ratios you could use sans tensioner...

mine gave me a nice 36 x 18 and said it would be slightly loose.

I was wondering if I should then order the Salsa ring 32T like I was going to or 36T.

Another reason for ordering 36T would be that then if I got stronger or if I was going to ride in the street, I could switch to the 16 cog in the back. (I only have a 16 and an 18)

But, then I'd probably have to lengthen the chain to do this and shorten it to use the 18 every time I switched...

Thanks for any advice
    rustyb

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBearings
    So I used one of those programs that ask you for measurements then give you some gear ratios you could use sans tensioner...

mine gave me a nice 36 x 18 and said it would be slightly loose.

I was wondering if I should then order the Salsa ring 32T like I was going to or 36T.

Another reason for ordering 36T would be that then if I got stronger or if I was going to ride in the street, I could switch to the 16 cog in the back. (I only have a 16 and an 18)

But, then I'd probably have to lengthen the chain to do this and shorten it to use the 18 every time I switched...

Thanks for any advice
    rustyb
    If you anticipate going higher than 2:1 gearing the 36 will be your best option. A good rule of thumb to remember is that two teeth (front or rear) equals half a link of chain, and also that any combinations of chainring and cog with the same number of teeth can be swapped with no chain adjustment: i.e., 36:20 and 34:22.