Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mulleticious

New question here. Which lightweight, quality crankset?

Planning my dream build - a Ti rigid 29er SS.

What crankset would you use with a 73mm standard English BB type? Looking at a 32T ring, probably, but could go a tad smaller if necessary.

Must be reasonably light, good quality and look good...

mtbr member

White Industries

Just got these. Cant wait to getem on my new build
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which lightweight, quality crankset?-2013-03-13_17-25-53_79.jpg  

Not sure on your budget, but XT or XTR.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    there are a few I'd like to try like WI, Paul, etc but I end up with Middleburn for the heel clearance. All of those have good SS options I think. Really, there are a heap of good standard cranks you can set up too. I am running ST these days...your chainline may weed out some options.

Mulleticious
    I'm in the UK and am struggling to find SS specific cranksets with Google. No LBS nearby. Where would you buy that White Industries crankset? Or XTR SS-specific cranksets (I can only find doubles and triples)?

mtbr member
    The XTR's are typically modded for SS use. There are a few threads on the subject in here.

I really like the e13 singlespeed crank, though heel rub is an issue and the anodizing has rubbed off in the year and a half I've had it. I'm not too concerned about the look though. Their proprietary bottom bracket is kind of a pain but it allows a 30 mm spindle which is nice.

Sram XX1 looks pretty attractive, especially for the price. The GXP model works with an English threaded BB shell.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I just placed this Truativ AKA's on my SS. They are budget and hollow type design. The link is to a 170mm crank, but search around, I am sure 175mm is avail.

They are quit stiff, 104bcd and can be found in bb30 and GXP.

My BB30 version was 709g with bearings and a 32t ring.

Fasty

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by fastcatfear View Post
    I just placed this Truativ AKA's on my SS. They are budget and hollow type design. The link is to a 170mm crank, but search around, I am sure 175mm is avail.

They are quit stiff, 104bcd and can be found in bb30 and GXP.

My BB30 version was 709g with bearings and a 32t ring.

Fasty
    It's not SS specific though - it's a double and bash

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    I'm in the UK and am struggling to find SS specific cranksets with Google. No LBS nearby. Where would you buy that White Industries crankset? Or XTR SS-specific cranksets (I can only find doubles and triples)?
    Charlie the Bikemonger for White Industries, or else Middleburn.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ditto on the ENO. I love em.

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    It's not SS specific though - it's a double and bash
    Fasty replied with the AKA because you didn't specify SS specific. The AKA and the other SRAM cranks X7, X9, X0 have the removable spider which you can replace with a spiderless chainring like the MRP Blingring.

If you are looking for good ol' square taper BB crank options, can't go wrong with WI eno or the middleburn.

If you want something more modern (carbon, outboard bearings) the XX1 is probably the best option (565gm + 69gm = 634 gm). The WI eno is 702 gm with WI ti BB.
    A X0 crank with a bling ring is 509gm without bb (586gm with bb) Spiderless cranks and intended use

Check out this thread for ideas Post your up cranks...
    Last edited by MTB Pharm; 03-18-2013 at 06:50 AM.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pharm View Post
    Fasty replied with the AKA because you didn't specify SS specific. The AKA and the other SRAM cranks X7, X9, X0 have the removable spider which you can replace with a spiderless chainring like the MRP Blingring.

If you are looking for good ol' square taper BB crank options, can't go wrong with WI eno or the middleburn.

If you want something more modern (carbon, outboard buearings) the XX1 is probably the best option (565gm + 69gm = 634 gm). The WI eno is 702 gm with WI ti BB.
    A X0 crank with a bling ring is 509gm without bb (586gm with bb) Spiderless cranks and intended use

Actually the AKA became the X.9 crankset.

The current X.7 cleansers do not have removable spiders.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pharm View Post

If you want something more modern (carbon, outboard bearings) the XX1 is probably the best option (565gm + 69gm = 634 gm). The WI eno is 702 gm with WI ti BB.

Thanks MTB Pharm - really useful links.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Which lightweight, quality crankset?-rs7new_074_zps3c7ec80f.jpg

Just got my RS7's. Looking at their site they don't do RS8's anymore, but no biggie, only 25g differnce. These sould be plenty strong rated for DH and jumping. They look nicer than my older RS8's, with polished finish and better lines, but a littel dissapointed with weight, although not a problem for me as I am not a weight weenie. Weighed in as you see, without bolts or lockring at 870g, with 1/8 ring. Just a cheap UN52 BB 123, cost $10. Ti would lower the weight more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    The current X.7 cleansers do not have removable spiders.
    The X.7 S1400 crankset does...are there multiple X.7s?

Nevermind. Yup, 3 different X.7 cranks according to SRAM's website. The S1400 is the only one with a removable spider.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My favorite square taper crank is the cook brothers racing crank. Very sleek and sexy looking cranks (in my opinion). They are a bit heavy, but look super nice.

If weight is an issue, then the high end SRAM or Shimano (Xt or XTR) are bombproof and beautiful.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS7new_074_zps3c7ec80f.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	782286

Just got my RS7's. Looking at their site they don't do RS8's anymore, but no biggie, only 25g differnce. These sould be plenty strong rated for DH and jumping. They look nicer than my older RS8's, with polished finish and better lines, but a littel dissapointed with weight, although not a problem for me as I am not a weight weenie. Weighed in as you see, without bolts or lockring at 870g, with 1/8 ring. Just a cheap UN52 BB 123, cost $10. Ti would lower the weight more.
    Those are indeed beautiful, but too heavy in my book. On my SIR9 rigid I'm currently running a cheap (65% off RRP at CRC) RaceFace Deus 32T SS crankset and including the BB that is 770g all in (bash ring removed). Was hoping for something materially lighter than that, but still have something that looks awesome.

Toying with the idea of using a grinder to take away the granny ring sockets, and a wire brush (paint stripper?) to take off the paint on the RaceFace cranks - could reduce weight somewhat (40/50g???) and make them look a whole lot better... Any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which lightweight, quality crankset?-imgp5950_800x600.jpg  

mtbr member
    I went with the Ride version of what you have above in white.

Race Face Ride Am Oe Cranks > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Not sure on the weight yet. Those Middleburn's look nice! I wish I would have known about them. I wanted the polished RaceFace Evolves but they are out of stock at JensonUSA.com

If your going to strip the paint off at least polish them. That would look pretty nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rynoman03 View Post

If your going to strip the paint off at least polish them. That would look pretty nice!
    Aren't they anodised, not painted? In which case paint stripper isn't what you need - caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) will do the job, though you won't save any weight worth bothering about.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
    Aren't they anodised, not painted? In which case paint stripper isn't what you need - caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) will do the job, though you won't save any weight worth bothering about.
    Of course, you are right. It's not paint. What about using a grinder with a wire brush attachment - would that give a "brushed" aluminium-type finish that could look a lot better...?

mtbr member
    If you go that route make sure you only run the wire wheel in one direction. Otherwise the effect your going for will look not so good I would think.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    no, don't do that. A wire wheel is too coarse. I think you'll really make them look fugly quickly messing with the finish. At most, try to find a scotch brite pad of some sort. Yes as mentioned I thnk you'll be hard up saving 40g with that and the little granny knobs. Re Middleburn the cranks themselves are about 400g. I can't imagine other conventional crank designs being much less in weight. Possibly the x type middleburns are lighter but I don't know. I like my SLX cranks but don't run them SS.

mtbr member
    I'd personally leave them alone I don't think they look that bad and saving a 10th of a lb for that much work no thanks...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    White Industries Eno.

It's made in the US, has exceptional quality, looks great, and is reasonably light... I quite like mine.

ENO

mtbr member
    I recently upgraded my Karate Monkey with Race Face Turbine cranks. Really nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast