mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Light, nice single speed under 500

i am in the market for a single speed, max of about 500 dollars. I would like to get a ss built for climbing, so light, either 29er or 26er, i have had a dawes deadeye, got stolen, and now i want a new bike now that i have saved a bit.

Any thoughts on a bike, brand, or see any good deals out there?
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

Some Dude
    The only thing I can think of at the moment for a complete SS is a monocog.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Give craigslist a shot. If you come out to Portland (or know someone who does) there are a couple 26" bikes that would be great conversions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    check around for a haro mary ss

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Light is relative. If you really want light, you've gotta spend a lot more money than $500.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You crack me up.....a light single speed for under $500. That's some funny stuff right there.

Gary fisher Rig is also a good option. I picked up one for around $600 used. Rode it for a month and then started upgrading.

mtbr member
    light, cheap, strong. <- pick two.

nothing to see here
    second hand is your best option.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    I've got a 26" Monocog I'll sell you within your budget. PM me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i guess i mean that for 500 dollars, i would like something that is durable, around 25 pounds. i figure used is the way to go.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009

Part it in

If you want a cheap light SS, your best bet is to piece it together over time... that's what I'm trying to do right now.

As of right now I have a 26er alu GT frame that cost me $20 (yes steel is real, but it's what I have and it happens to be light!), some relatively lightweight wheels I bought as part of a bulk used-parts buy (have since sold off enough so anything that's left is almost free), a dimension steel fork I got for $35, and some random bits I had laying around.

Right now it's at 15 lbs. I still need to add a SS kit, bottom bracket, cranks, seatpost/seat, and rim brakes (most of which I have)... so it'll end up a little heavier, but will probably still be the lightest bike I own by at least a couple pounds. Total cost will end up being around $100 I think. It's kind of a frankenbike but it should be fun!

If you're starting this process from scratch and don't have project bits all over like I do, it'll be more expensive... but I can't imagine it costing more than $300-400 all told, and you could end up with something nicer looking than what I'll have.
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride

Birdman aka JMJ
    [QUOTE=mzinn23;8554212]i guess i mean that for 500 dollars, i would like something that is durable, around 25 pounds. i figure used is the way to go.[/QUOTE

That's a pretty tight budget. I spent about $900 piecing together a steel hardtail SS (Soma Groove with a Marz Xfly80 fork) that comes in just under 24lb (with slightly overbuilt wheels). I used NOS, discounted/sale parts, and whatever I could find in my used parts bin.

Also built a rigid ti (frame & fork) SS for $1200ish that came in at about 20lb and is a great climbing bike (if you don't mind getting beat up a bit on the way down). Same MO as the steel SS regarding parts pick, etc.

I'd find the best deal you can find on a used hardtail bike (say $400-$450) that fits you well, then throw a tensioner/spacer/cog kit on it with a dedicated SS middle ring up front (say another $50-75). After that, upgrade as your budget allows.

You'll shed some weight removing the derailleurs, extra rings/cassette, and shifters/cables, but you might get close to your 25lb mark.

Keep us updated.

JMJ

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think the best way buget wise is to find a good used hardtail for around $500 and throw a tensioner on it and make it single speed. Way more used options when looking for geared frames vs SS frames.

mtbr member
    I just bought a 2011 Monocog for $430 a couple weeks ago from the LBS and I love it
    2011 Redline Monocog 29er

Birdman aka JMJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson207 View Post
    I just bought a 2011 Monocog for $430 a couple weeks ago from the LBS and I love it
    Curious how much a 21" Monocog or Monocog Flight would weigh...

JMJ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mzinn23 View Post
    i am in the market for a single speed, max of about 500 dollars. I would like to get a ss built for climbing, so light, either 29er or 26er, i have had a dawes deadeye, got stolen, and now i want a new bike now that i have saved a bit.

Any thoughts on a bike, brand, or see any good deals out there?
    I also want the same thing, but I want it to be able to blow me as well. Oh yea, and for under $250.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Ok, so I did link to a GF Rig in Boise that the guy is selling for frame and some parts for 150. Maybe a little steep, but hell, talk him down. Leaves you with a lot of room for a pair of bb7s off ebay, a Salsa Cromoto fork and a wheelset.

I expect that in about a month or so I'll have a MCF build done for about 400, mainly done through craigslist. You can do it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    jumped the gun today and bought an on one inbred 26er with a marzocchi fork for 400 off of ebay today. i had been looking at it and comparable bikes for a few days now, and figured it was too good of a deal to pass up. pictures coming soon. Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    this is the bike, but it will have a normal seat post on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light, nice single speed under 500-2011-10-17-21.29.01.jpg  

Ovaries on the Outside
    Nice ride. The seatpost is a Thudbuster LT (I'm guessing). If it is in decent shape, I think it could sell for 80 or more.

How long is the fork travel, cause it looks longer than 100mm. I think the inbred is supposed to be 100mm or less, though I am not sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    yes i believe it is set for 100mm or so, i had the option of having the rigid on one steel fork or that with it, and i figured that if i like it with that fork, then i came out ahead, and if i don't, then i will buy the front carbon fork from on one for 170.

mtbr member
    Buy used like I did. I found a older Gary Fisher Hookooekoo on craigslist for $200. It came already converted to single speed with a Renen chain guide and Surley rigid fork. It weighed around 22.5 lbs when I got it and is now down to 21.25. You may not find a bike already converted like I did, but you would be surprised what you can find on craigslist for $200-$300. You should easily be able to build a sub 22lb bike under $500
    Contact us with your video production needs.
    mike@arkfilms.com