SS or Die

Life span of a Boone Cog...

To better understand the economic benefits of Ti cogs I have this question...

This has probably been mentioned before but what is the general Life Expectancy of a 20T Boone Cog?
    "Be the Gear..."

mtbr member
    i have never heard of anyone ever wearing one out. on that same note, you can get a $30 surly cog that will last just as long.

SS or Die
    I assume nobody turns them around when they are worn so that is impressive.

I currently use a Surly and must admit that I cant see any wear on it yet after a couple of months use. I was interested in the Boone cogs for two reasons, one to save some weight, and secondly for the bling factor, they sure do look nice.

My Surly 20T weighs in at 80grams, more than half that of a Boone cog of the same teeth.

I just could stomach the extra cash for the Boone's if they didnt last the distance but it appears they will out last me!
    "Be the Gear..."

mtbr member
    check out the SPAM post for a MTBR member making custom Ti cogs, great prices and you can actually get them

Custom titanium, alum, or SS singlespeed cogs, chainrings, & tensioners
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Three years, forty-nine days @ 3 days a week, 45 miles and 67rpm.

V-Shaped Rut
    I'm wondering about cogs as well. I've got a cheap-o steel 18t (over a year, 0 signs of wear), a 21t surly cog (beefy but heavy!) and I'm considering what to get as a light/strong/bling cog for my new bike once I decide on a ratio.

The guy here who sells Ti cogs. They're $100 but simple one piece and will probably last just as long because of the properties of Ti.

mtbr member
    I just had to replace my 20tooth Boone cog last week. The valleys were widening out and my bike developed a creak.
    I actually tried turning it around hoping to get rid if the ungawdly noise. I can tell you from experience... don't do it. The pretty pattern on the Boone is designed as a unidirectional cog. I rode for about 5 miles before I blew it apart. That was about 5 miles from my house. It was a long walk home.
    The creek disappeared, so I got a Niner cog instead. It is quiet as can be!!!
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

SS or Die
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy aka Rut
    I just had to replace my 20tooth Boone cog last week. The valleys were widening out and my bike developed a creak.
    I actually tried turning it around hoping to get rid if the ungawdly noise. I can tell you from experience... don't do it. The pretty pattern on the Boone is designed as a unidirectional cog. I rode for about 5 miles before I blew it apart. That was about 5 miles from my house. It was a long walk home.
    The creek disappeared, so I got a Niner cog instead. It is quiet as can be!!!

So, how many miles did you get out of it in the end?
    "Be the Gear..."

6x7=Dont Panic!
    I have been riding my 18t regularly since summer 2005. I have too many miles on it to count. It shows wear but it is still riding great. I hope Boone starts selling them again so I can stockpile them and get some more of those sweet spacers. Best cog I have ever owned. Not the lightest but the most durable and beautiful. If you can find a new one they are worth the money that they go for. For comparison, I have gone through two rocket cnc chainrings and one e13 guide ring as well as 3-4 chains. This cog is still going strong.
    Herro prease

SS or Die
    Thats awesome! I think it would be worth the extra dosh if they last that long, 4 years is plenty durable enough for me.

Jeff Jones has quite a few in stock at the moment, from 16-21T as of 2 weeks ago. $80 each.
    "Be the Gear..."

mtbr member
    I would guess that I have been on the cog for about 2 years.
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

SS or Die
    2 years of use for 80 bucks is like a piss in the ocean...cant say I would notice the extra cost so I think I might order me some.

Thanks guys
    "Be the Gear..."

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I got about 3,000 miles out of my Boone cog.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    typically ti should last about 5 times longer than aluminum from what i've seen/heard. I havent been making mine long enough to have one wear out, but i'm curious as to how long they'll last myself. I figure at least 2-3 years, then flip it for another couple years. Apparently it doesnt look like Boone's is flipable though, according to a previous post.

AZ
    banned
    Life span should be in between aluminum and stainless , ISAR cogs look like a great value especially when the lifespan is measured in years .

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Life span should be in between aluminum and stainless , ISAR cogs look like a great value especially when the lifespan is measured in years .
    Thanks!
    Also, depends on the stainless. 6al4v titanium has a higher yield and tensile strength than most grades of stainless so it'll actually last longer. My stainless is heat treated 17-4ph, so it's pretty close to ti as far as durability.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    Thanks!
    Also, depends on the stainless. 6al4v titanium has a higher yield and tensile strength than most grades of stainless so it'll actually last longer. My stainless is heat treated 17-4ph, so it's pretty close to ti as far as durability.

Thanks for clarifying that .