Thread: life

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

life

Six months ago i had an Endless Lifetme {still do but the frame has been chucked on top of the bedroom cupboard},the bike was built up with top components,Profile,Thomson,Easton,Marzocchi and flite etc,etc.Now i am riding a Steelhead,rigid,basic old components,no name solid stuff and i am ten times happier.What i am rying to say is that i do not feel that i have to make a statement to myself or other people.I just ride my bike and concentrate on that alone.I do this for myself and no one else.Get back to basics and remind yourself why you do this fantastic sport/pastime,LIFE.Does this make any sense.Concentrate on doing and not on bling???? On a separate not but possibly related The derailleur contradicts the idea of the mountain bike.Something rugged should not have a fragile component in such a vulnerable place.A rigid singlespeed is pure and simple.Just a bike and nothing else.......

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by obsessive mechanic
    Six months ago i had an Endless Lifetme {still do but the frame has been chucked on top of the bedroom cupboard},the bike was built up with top components,Profile,Thomson,Easton,Marzocchi and flite etc,etc.Now i am riding a Steelhead,rigid,basic old components,no name solid stuff and i am ten times happier.What i am rying to say is that i do not feel that i have to make a statement to myself or other people.I just ride my bike and concentrate on that alone.I do this for myself and no one else.Get back to basics and remind yourself why you do this fantastic sport/pastime,LIFE.Does this make any sense.Concentrate on doing and not on bling???? On a separate not but possibly related The derailleur contradicts the idea of the mountain bike.Something rugged should not have a fragile component in such a vulnerable place.A rigid singlespeed is pure and simple.Just a bike and nothing else.......
    That's an awfully detailed statement from someone who doesn't feel they need to make a statement . Seriously though, does it matter if it makes sense to us? If it makes you happy then you made the right decision.
    [SIZE=1]"The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."[/SIZE]

King Pin

Wink Simple

Perfect fixie candidate. Rid yourself of that awful freewheel, as I have.

Reconnect with your life.....

Not because I'm fast.....
    I agree with you, but you need to change your MTBR name then. "Obsessive Mechanic" really contradicts your philosphy

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

life

It wasnt really a statement, just my view on things.As to my user name life does some strange things to the mind,cycling keeps things in perspective. A natural drug.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It is funny. I find that some days happiness lies with my full suspension ride with its fragile deraillers and cushy suspension while on other days equal happiness lies with my fully rigid Surly. It is funny how I seldom make the wrong decision on any given day and wish I'd brought the other bike. It is somewhat of a zen thing how I am able to deduce the optimum chariot for singletrack bliss. Somewhere, somehow, the mountain biking gods have been smiling down upon me and guiding my Sidi's towards the correct platform.

One person's perfect platform may be a 7" travel freeride bike while another feels drawn to a cross bike with a fixed wheel and moustache bars or yet again another such as myself cannot find it within himself to be monogamous and devote himself solely to one type of experience. The only thing in 12 years of mountain biking that I've found to not belong in the sport is conflict over which is the ideal ride as that always differs from person to person and often from moment to moment. Hard to hit a constantly moving target.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    the frame has been chucked on top of the bedroom cupboard
    You have cupboards in your bedroom? What's going on there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Wink life

United kingdom. :

mtbr member
    Dang Phil, while I'm very happy to hear you are happy, I'm sorry to hear you didn't mate up with the Lifetime.

On a side note, since my custom full dura ace Serotta's right shifter broke, I've been riding a $500 Fuji Track bike.
    While I got a replacement shifter, I still simply prefer the Fuji.
    -Marshall Hance
    EndlessBikeCo.

Reviewer/Tester
    I was moving my sons tricycle into the shed last week, and just for fun, tried to ride it.

Now, I find myself pedalling it everywhere, to the shops, work, trails.. I think I need help..

My other bikes all seem sad in comparison to the trike.

I even sleep with it.

What am i going to do?

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member

me too

Last week I had to roll the gas grill into the carport to get it out of the rain. I loved how "connected to the yard" it felt. Nothing complicated or finicky. So I hopped on and took it around the block. I wasn't trying to impress anyone, but I saw the looks on their faces . . .

Reviewer/Tester
    ...rofl..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Life

Maybe i hit a raw nerve, does sarcasm hide the fact that some people do like to spend lots of money on bicycles.If so thats fine with me.Life goes on.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    So, how much do you want for that Endless?
    Now with more vitriol!

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    double post
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    300 with thomson seatpost and salsa seat qr.Burgandy,latest version.Couple of very small dents on downtube.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Hmm... probably wouldn't make sense after shipping and all, sounds like a nice ride though.
    Now with more vitriol!

Reviewer/Tester
    Maybe i hit a raw nerve, does sarcasm hide the fact that some people do like to spend lots of money on bicycles.If so thats fine with me.Life goes on.
    Sorry mate.. please excuse my aussie sense of humour. I didn't mean to put you down.

I agree with what you said, it just struck me as funny how you said it.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    Hmm... probably wouldn't make sense after shipping and all, sounds like a nice ride though.
    Trans-atlantic shipping isn't all that unreasonable.
    -Marshall Hance
    EndlessBikeCo.