Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Lets talk about steel Singlespeeds!

So I currently own 5 steel bikes and I don't know if I could ever ride anything else! My Karate Monkey is my steel, fully rigid SS 29er and I love it. In the near future I plan on swapping to a higher end steel frame. I want to stay strictly SS and fully rigid. I also want to go American made. I have been looking at the Gunnar Ruffian and its pretty close to what I want. The only thing I am concerned about is that I may want a 44mm headtube to run a tapered fork. What do you guys think? My Monkey has a White Brothers Rock Solid fork and it feels a bit flexy, I'm thinking that a tapered headtube with a tapered carbon fork would help the uneasy feeling I have with the fork.

Ruffian – Your Single-Speed Spaceship

Also, pic of the Karate Monkey. That crankset has to go, I'm getting sick of the flex there too! Haha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets talk about steel Singlespeeds!-100_1333.jpg  

My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Even considering saving for longer and getting a custom build. I love Geekhouse bikes and the Wormtown would kill it hardcore!

Mountain | geekhouse

I was really interested in the Ritchey P-29 but then I realized they are built in Taiwan and not the USA despite their patriotic paint scheme…..

mtbr member
    Also, the Cielo 29er frame. American made, 44mm headtube, sliders and pretty classy.

Mountain Bike Details – Cielo Cycles

The Cielo would be nice too because I work at a shop where I can pro-form Chris King. I can get the frame for a decent price.

Robtre
    davesauvageau,
    I too share your love for steel. Here is my question: I assume by "higher end" steel frame you are looking for something handmade in the USofA or are you looking for higher grade steel like Reynolds 853? All my frames have all been 4130 Chromoly what would be the noticable difference in a "higher end" steel frame?
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Independent Fabrication Steel Deluxe SS. ifbikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    davesauvageau,
    I too share your love for steel. Here is my question: I assume by "higher end" steel frame you are looking for something handmade in the USofA or are you looking for higher grade steel like Reynolds 853? All my frames have all been 4130 Chromoly what would be the noticable difference in a "higher end" steel frame?

Higher quality steel= lower weight and potentially better ride. A good steel frame is the original FS setup, stiff where it needs to be and flexy where you want it to be.

mtbr member
    If you're looking at the Gunnar bikes, then there are at least a couple custom steel builders with great reputations for around 20 - 25% more.

Quiring Cycles and Waltworks. Both are $1200 - $1300 for custom steel AFAIK. Quiring's got my stainless order in the queue at the moment, and he's been great to work with thus far.
    Quiring KVA MS2 Stainless 29er SS
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | GHORBA | IMBA NMBP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Higher quality steel= lower weight and potentially better ride. A good steel frame is the original FS setup, stiff where it needs to be and flexy where you want it to be.
    HYPNOTOAD! Exactly what I was thinking. I have 2 Surly's and they are nice bikes but I want something a bit lighter and I want to see if I can find a difference in ride quality.

Yes, I would like something 'Merican made and whatever steel the builder recommends.

I LOVE IF bikes. I have lusted after one for years but they are mega expensive. I suppose I could save up longer but I was looking at staying between 1000 and 1300.

Walt makes awesome bikes and I follow him in the Frame Building forum quite a bit. He's a really smart builder and he's always an option. Quiring, I haven't looked at in a long time. I will check out the site and see what's up!

Thanks for the responses guys, I love talking STEEL!

mtbr member
    I also ride a steel hardtail SS. A good friend of mine, Oscar @ Simple Bicycle Company made it for me. He is in Portland, OR. He also owns a frame jig business. His frames are badass and reasonably priced! I don't think he has a long wait time either, fwiw.

Those Cielo's look cool too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    I also ride a steel hardtail SS. A good friend of mine, Oscar @ Simple Bicycle Company made it for me. He is in Portland, OR. He also owns a frame jig business. His frames are badass and reasonably priced! I don't think he has a long wait time either, fwiw.

Those Cielo's look cool too.
    Do you have a link to his site or a way I could contact him?

I really like those Quirings, ecthelion. They are pretty reasonably priced and he does some nice, unique work. He also does 44mm headtubes and BB30 for no extra charge apparently! I called him a bit ago and asked a few quick questions, seemed really nice and answered my questions with confidence. His Ti and Stainless frames are amazing but I can't afford one right now! The steel on the other hand is just right.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau View Post

I really like those Quirings, ecthelion. They are pretty reasonably priced and he does some nice, unique work. He also does 44mm headtubes and BB30 for no extra charge apparently! I called him a bit ago and asked a few quick questions, seemed really nice and answered my questions with confidence. His Ti and Stainless frames are amazing but I can't afford one right now! The steel on the other hand is just right.
    You will not regret having Scott build a steel frame for you. This is my second season on mine and I love it. I have one of the first tapered head tubes and went with Paragon sliders so I can run geared or SS, running it geared currently. Scott Nailed the build for where I ride in the Midwest, helps that he is familiar with some of the places I ride it. He is great to work with and just an all around great builder. Raced it 40 miles this weekend and even bombing down some quick hills it was stable and comfortable and climbs like a goat under my 225+ pounds as long as I did my part.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

Dinner for wolves
    I love my KM...it's unnatural. Everytime I think of "upgrading" to finer frame, I realize that I would change so little about the frame. Nicer tubing, slightly shorter CS, fixed gear specific (no brake mounts or cable guides). Minor tweaks that would cost major ducats. The KM is a hard act to follow, for sure. Subscribed.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    After years of riding steel, I've realized steel is *not fake*.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    I love my KM...it's unnatural. Everytime I think of "upgrading" to finer frame, I realize that I would change so little about the frame. Nicer tubing, slightly shorter CS, fixed gear specific (no brake mounts or cable guides). Minor tweaks that would cost major ducats. The KM is a hard act to follow, for sure. Subscribed.
    Yeah it is a good frame for now. As soon as I got it I hacked off the brake mounts and derailleur hardware. I couldn't be riding a stock KM frameset! I like Surly's but I would just like to try something custom and built for my body. Do you have a pic of your KM?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar24 View Post
    You will not regret having Scott build a steel frame for you. This is my second season on mine and I love it. I have one of the first tapered head tubes and went with Paragon sliders so I can run geared or SS, running it geared currently. Scott Nailed the build for where I ride in the Midwest, helps that he is familiar with some of the places I ride it. He is great to work with and just an all around great builder. Raced it 40 miles this weekend and even bombing down some quick hills it was stable and comfortable and climbs like a goat under my 225+ pounds as long as I did my part.
    Good to know! The tapered headtube is a must for me. I would most likely go with a Whiskey fork to stiffen up the front end of the bike. Do you have a pic of your Quiring?

I can't decide if I want a standard BB or a BB30. What would you do?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Here's is my new steel beauty, just purchased and can't wait to ride it
    IMG_9575.JPG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets talk about steel Singlespeeds!-img_9575.jpg  

Lets talk about steel Singlespeeds!-img_9579.jpg  

mtbr member
    Untitled Document This is his website but its under construction, it has his # on it at least.

heres a non-current build pic of my Simple w/ 44mm HT and paragon dropouts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    Untitled Document This is his website but its under construction, it has his # on it at least.

heres a non-current build pic of my Simple w/ 44mm HT and paragon dropouts

Sweet looking bike! I will keep him in mind on my quest for my perfect frame!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by er2013 View Post
    Here's is my new steel beauty, just purchased and can't wait to ride it
    IMG_9575.JPG
    Killer bike! How much pressure are you running in those tires? Rear looks a little low

Spear & Magic Helmet
    Several Thoughts:

First, if pricing is a big deal then you could also look at Curtlo.

Second, the bent seat tube of the KM gives it a bit shorter chain stays than most 29er's, including the Gunnar. Going with a conventional 2 triangle frame will almost certainly put you in longer stays.

Third, being ego centric here, I think about the builder's I would contact if a custom steel frame were in my future. I think of names like Vulture, Hunter, Pereira, Engin, De Salvo, Coconino... Most are pretty pricey. Beyond my pain threshold at the moment.

Two that come to mind that address my thought number two (and would be on my own personal short list) are Wolfhound and by:stickel. Also pricey. But talking to Walt or Scott Quiring might get you a bent seat tube and shorter stays. It is, after all, custom.

John

Dinner for wolves
    Dave,

I enjoyed your thread about the KM mods. I think about it often. I think JohnGray's list of custom frame builders matches my own very well, with Hunter and Coconino leading the pack.

Here is my KM
    Responds to gravity

Spear & Magic Helmet
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    I think JohnGray's list of custom frame builders matches my own very well, with Hunter and Coconino leading the pack.
    Well, we are spending a lot of Dave's money for him! That being said I would put Soulcraft on my list, too. Beautiful bikes and sort of local for me.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Ted Wojcik. Steel beauty from New England. Talk to the builder. Talk to other builders and they will praise Ted. New England builders (If, and Seven) wish they could have talent like him.

Gonna be my next 650b SS. Hot pink round tubes...ohhhhh, Baby!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Killer bike! How much pressure are you running in those tires? Rear looks a little low
    they were deflated and need to re-stans for tubeless.

blet drive
    looks good guys keep it up.....
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast