King Pin

Let me tell you a story 'bout a man named Jed.

Have we done this? Tellin' stories 'bout our mtb. experience.....

Here is mine.

I was a big ol' roadie riding mofo back in 1983.
    Bought my first mountain bike same year...Diamondback Ascent EX! Thought I was the mountain biking god of the world, with my 70 mile daily roadie commute to back me up!

First MTB ride with Richard Cunningham and the crew told me diff'rnt. I came home crying like a little one. Them boys smoked me BIG TIME! Anaerobic was the name of this game.....my good friend Bob Nicklesen took me under his wing, Bob lives up here in Preskit these days, and I am STILL skeered to ride with him. (he's only sixty something...and can still kick my little ass....at will!)

Few weeks later, I was staying up with the gang. Over the next few years, I could hang quite well with the group, racing Sport class at Big Bear and Mammoth and such. Some of the girls gave me fits, they were SO fast! Pat Nolte comes to mind. Pat was my idol back in the day, that leetle girl rocked! And Margaret Day, she borrowed my Mantis back in '89 to race Mammoth, as her ride was stolen. Sponsorship from Mantis soon appeared, and I raced my heart out until I just got tired of it all. Moved back to Arizona...didn't ride much for a few years. (twelve to be exact). Now I'm forty three years young and singlespeeding....and WAY faster than ever before! Looking forward to the 24 at Old Pueblo and such.

My life is good now. I'm old and just getting smarter/faster.

Let's hear 'em!

What's YOUR story?

Paintbucket
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Now I'm forty three years young and singlespeeding.
    And there the similarity ends....

Touring hack ----> Roadie hack -------> Roadie/trail hack -------> Singlespeeding trail hack with strong roadie hack predilections. That about sums it up although maybe I've got that last part backwards. I'm never sure anymore. Thank god I'm a retro grouch. Keeps me grounded.
    Last edited by wooglin-at-home; 01-23-2004 at 07:31 PM.
    Zippy for president

Single Speed Convert
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Have we done this? Tellin' stories 'bout our mtb. experience.....

Here is mine.

I was a big ol' roadie riding mofo back in 1983.
    Bought my first mountain bike same year...Diamondback Ascent EX! Thought I was the mountain biking god of the world, with my 70 mile daily roadie commute to back me up!

First MTB ride with Richard Cunningham and the crew told me diff'rnt. I came home crying like a little one. Them boys smoked me BIG TIME! Anaerobic was the name of this game.....my good friend Bob Nicklesen took me under his wing, Bob lives up here in Preskit these days, and I am STILL skeered to ride with him. (he's only sixty something...and can still kick my little ass....at will!)

Few weeks later, I was staying up with the gang. Over the next few years, I could hang quite well with the group, racing Sport class at Big Bear and Mammoth and such. Some of the girls gave me fits, they were SO fast! Pat Nolte comes to mind. Pat was my idol back in the day, that leetle girl rocked! And Margaret Day, she borrowed my Mantis back in '89 to race Mammoth, as her ride was stolen. Sponsorship from Mantis soon appeared, and I raced my heart out until I just got tired of it all. Moved back to Arizona...didn't ride much for a few years. (twelve to be exact). Now I'm forty three years young and singlespeeding....and WAY faster than ever before! Looking forward to the 24 at Old Pueblo and such.

My life is good now. I'm old and just getting smarter/faster.

Let's hear 'em!

What's YOUR story?
    Here's mine....

Had my first and only bike when I was six, banana seat and butterfly and all..... of course single speed. Had a great time with it until it fell apart, rusted, and broke the frame as I got bigger.

Didn't have bike in my teen age years, broke, no job, & I guess busy looking at girls... although would see some guys on the horse trail and wondered what were they doing there?

Got married and picked up a used geared bike in spring of '99. Six frames/bikes later, a two year old son, and a very understanding & supporting wife, I'm riding a single speed feeling like Im six again. LIfe is good
    Life's simple pleasure - RIDE!