WNC Native

Lenz Milk Money vs Custom Steel HT, How many of you have tried FS SS and stayed?

I had a wreck a few months back, had some shoulder damage, and had surgery. I splintered my clavical, shattered my scapula, and broke my glenoid. I now have a plate with 7 screws in my clavical and a plate with 2 screws in my glenoid. Of course it couldn't have happened at a worse time financially. I ended up having to sell my rigid/SS/29er and my geared Ht 29er to make it through the financial hit.

I'm going to be building a bike over the winter to replace both. I was primarily riding SS, so that is my priority. I'm going to build an SS bike and have a geared setup ready in case it's needed at any point (1x9 or a Shimano Nexus 3speed setup).

I've decide to take it easy on the shoulder and probably not go back rigid for a while. So I'm basically down to two bike options and I'm having a heck of a time trying to decide.

I'm going to either build a Lenz FS SS Milk Money with a 100mm fork or a custom steel SS HT with a 100mm fork. I love the connected feeling of a HT, however on the 15+ mile rides I do notice some fatigue from the HTs. I will say that on one of my recent SS bikes I had some 38mm wide rims and large volume tires, which seemed to really help. They are however pretty heavy, which I'm not super concerned about but on the longer days it does weight in.

My concern is going from a rigid/ss to a FS SS may be to far to the other end of the spectrum. Every SS I've owned to this point has been a rigid/HT. I've talked to several Milk Money owners so I'm aware of the pedaling performance of the Lenz.

So I want to know how many people have went from a rigid or HT SS to a FS SS and stayed?

How many have tried it and went back to rigid or HT SS?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll be interested in seeing the responses to this thread. Seems like MTBR.com is a love-fest for the Milk Money. I don't think I have read a thread where someone commented that the MM was not for them. For full disclosure....I just bought a used MM frame from a member of MTBR.com and I was cannibalizing parts to build this frame up last night. If this frame meets all the hype, then I will be very pleased.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've owned a MM and numerous steel/Ti rigid/hardtail bikes. IMO, there's no comparison between the MM and the others in terms of comfort and friendliness to the body. Very large tires, low pressure does help a little on rigid/HT, but nothing like the ~2" of travel of the MM--i never got much over 2" as it ramps up pretty fast.

That said, i sold the MM and will be soon riding an Al HT...go figure. Just wanted a change. It was a 2nd bike to a geared FS, so a SS HT will be fine. If i was still primarily riding SS, i would miss the MM.

The MM is a really fun SS bike, and would be hard to beat in terms of comfort. Great traction also from the rear sus relative to HT/rigid. Downside is that it is a FS bike with a bit of maintenance--main pivot is a little grease messy (no biggie) and it's just not as simple as a HT.

I think if comfort for your back, etc is a priority then a MM or something like the Siren SS softail i've seen would be a good option.
    Last edited by ripley; 10-18-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    the siren song is pretty friggin badass. I've ridden one.

WNC Native
    Ripley, were you happy with how the MM climbed?

That is one thing, I've gotten kinda fond of not having the FS extra maintenance, however my back may be worth it.

Also curious, how tall are you and which size MM did you run?

Song does look nice, but it's out of my frame price range.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky

That is one thing, I've gotten kinda fond of not having the FS extra maintenance, however my back may be worth it.

Really? i thought it was about the same price or even less than the MM. Isnt the MM over 2k?

mtbr member
    MM is under $2K - by a few bucks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    It worked well for me. I got to where i didn't even use the platform on the frame shock and would just lock out the fork on long climbs. Most my rides are only 2-3 hours with a big climb then decent (front range CO). At the time I also had a nice Ti rigid bike and usually chose the MM, just cuz of the fun factor on decents & techy stuff--and the 'newness' of the MM. Sold the Ti bike after a while. I'm sure the Ti bike clmbed more efficiently, but for me the climbs are hard no matter what bike i'm on. I'm a 50ish year-old rider and am more about having fun and don't try to keep up with others or time my rides.

Maintenance isn't bad, but the main pivot does need attention occasionally. I might shy away from it if you live in a really wet environment. Think the bushing material can swell some if exposed to too much water. But i haven't heard much talk of this as a problem.

I'm 6'0", 33.5" inseam, long arms, and had a Large MM. Sizing was perfect for me. Price is always a factor for me and i was lucky enough to pick up a lightly used MM at a good price, otherwise may not have ended up with one.

The shortish CS on the MM were a big plus for me also....so much better traction on climbs in looser stuff. Don't know how people manage on those SS's with longish CS's.

WNC Native
    ISAR- I have a line on one at a little lower price, but yeah I was quoted under 2K for a new one.

SS version of the Song is $2300 plus shipping. I've got a whole build budget of $3K.

Thanks for the reply Ripley!
    Last edited by nitrousjunky; 10-18-2010 at 10:36 AM.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Nitrousjunky,

I ride SS exclusively and have for more than 7 years. I also have a ruptured disc in my neck and bulging/herniated lumbar disc. So, I feel your pain!

I bought a Canzo, swapped the shock and it has literally transformed the bike as a SS. I mention it because the Canzo's are cheap enough that you might be able to do both. That's what I did. I have a HT as well, both 29er's and both SS. The Canzo is using a Melvin.

Ripley's comments are right on. I have to say though, I rode the Canzo on a local loop Saturday. It's just over an hour long and despite fighting a cold and feeling slower, I was faster than my HT for the first time. The shock made all the difference.

Here's the thread:

Impressions : Voodoo Canzo Shock Swap

Good Luck!
    Last edited by hsakkire; 11-03-2010 at 05:07 PM.

WNC Native
    hsakkire- That's kinda the direction I'm going in.

I decided to go with the custom steel frame for the SS, since I have an opportunity I really can't pass on with it. I'm trying to decide whether to do a really nice build on it or try to do a quality budget build and try to find a good deal on a used FS frame. Then work toward probably a 1x9 build on that over the next year or so.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

My Ibis Szazbo FS SS

I have both a FS SS and a rigid SS and have done 25+ mile rides on both. Since converting the Ibis to SS my rigid is collecting dust in storage, I only ride it when my FS SS is down for repair, which is not very often. The FS SS is just more fun and I am not as beaten up after a long ride.

Also, the Szazbo has 5 inches of rear travel with a 4 inch travel fork. I bought it used as a frame set for well under $500.00 with shipping, although I did upgrade to a cloud 9 shock.

I certainly would recommend a FS SS if you are still undecided.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lenz Milk Money vs Custom Steel HT, How many of you have tried FS SS and stayed?-img_0540.jpg  

nothing to see here
    that's one freaky lookin bike dude
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    It looks like you'd need to carry a step stool to get on that Szabo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    A small step ladder works just fine.

mtbr member

Younger brother of the Szazbo...

The above pictures was posted in 2005 (and it was a couple years old then!) and it's still being ridden pretty much unchanged. I also ride a rigid and hardtail SS, but this is the bike I go for when we do the long epics, like last weekend's 7.5 hour loop.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    John Casetellano is still making the Szazbo type of frame. It's now called the Zorro. I contacted him a while back. They aren't cheap but they are unique.

Here's the link:

http://www.castellanodesigns.com/Zorro.html

You can have either 26" or 29" wheeled versions and he rides his SS.

Wily Cycles also makes a titanium short travel, SS'able frame called the Canine; also not cheap.

http://www.wilycycles.com/

Apr 2007
    Skip on the HT. If I ever start having back problems or go through major surgery, I'm going FS.

WNC Native
    hsakkire- I see you fell victim to the lure of the Milk Money!

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    hsakkire- I see you fell victim to the lure of the Milk Money!

Yes, yes I did. Actually, I just have a very cool wife.

I cannot wait to ride it. But that's going to be a few months.