mtbr member

LBS guy full of it?

I inquired at my LBS about a Vassago Jabberwocky the other day and the sales guy said that I'd be too big for one. I'm 6'2" 240 with gear. He said that at my weight I would "throw chains" and then tried to sell me a specialized something or other. Are jabber frames really that flexy? Are there guys my size riding them that could chime in here?

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomicbarber
    I inquired at my LBS about a Vassago Jabberwocky the other day and the sales guy said that I'd be too big for one. I'm 6'2" 240 with gear. He said that at my weight I would "throw chains" and then tried to sell me a specialized something or other. Are jabber frames really that flexy? Are there guys my size riding them that could chime in here?
    Nah. Get another shop. I am 6'2" and 190, so you have me in kilos, but the Jabber is stiffer at the BB and CS then the Speshy Rockhopper.

The Jabber pedals plenty stiff IMO, but I am sure a heavier rider will chime in.

Oh, did he mean too tall or too heavy? The Jabber 20" size and TT is not bad for a 6'2" rider. I ride mine with a 90mm stem and it is borderline short, but I like a rangy cockpit as a rule.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Bike Snob
    It has been my experience that Speshy shops have other brands available just to show you all the reasons that you should just by a Specialized.

openwound
    I'm "only" 6'/185 but I didn't notice any unwanted/undesirable flex in my 20" jabber. It's a well built, solid frame.

I think I'd talk to another shop.

Really I am that slow
    200+ and never threw a chain due to flexing it..... prob didn't have chainline right
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Let me guess: The Jabber would have been special order but he just happened to have the Speccy on the floor and ready to sell....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    Let me guess: The Jabber would have been special order but he just happened to have the Speccy on the floor and ready to sell....
    Exactly.

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomicbarber
    ... I'm 6'2" 240 with gear. He said that at my weight I would "throw chains" ....
    I'm as big as you are and I don't have any problems with my Jabber flexing. Buy the 20" with confidence.

Low Rep Count
    While I am not that tall/heavy, I can say that I have seen just about ever Spec. and I would take the Vassago over any of them (well, maybe not the carbon-unless you were getting a Ti Jabber of course). If I was seriously looking at a 29er I would do the Jabber. Awesome bikes IMO. Top that off with the fact that they are only about an hour from house and 15 minutes from my mother in laws, I would feel very confident buying their product.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    ... and 15 minutes from my mother in laws...
    15 minutes from the mother-in-law... trying to figure how this is a good recomendo...

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Low Rep Count
    I would actually have an excuse of somewhere to go when we go visit! C'mon man, think! It may not be worth much to anyone else but for me, that is all I need!

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    15 minutes from the mother-in-law... trying to figure how this is a good recomendo...

--sParty
    LOL
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    6,1" 250lbs, ride a jabber, and a bander, both are flawless. The LBS just wanted to push his stuff.

mtbr member
    This is great info guys, thanks.

Plus size jersey model
    I am pushing 260 and have never had chain issues on my Jabber and just order a Bander.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9" , 205lbs and have never had a problem with my Jabberwocky.