mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Kona Unit or Redline Monocog Flight ?

Appreciate all the help in my prior post. I will be getting a rigid single this weekend.

I am down to the 2 above bikes both which have slider drop outs .

Any opinions on the above bikes?

Only negative I have heard is that the Flight has BB5 brakes which are not all that great.

I am not posting specs here but if you are familiar with these 2 bikes I value your opinions.

mtbr member
    Have you ridden both? If so, which feels better to you? I wouldn't worry too much about components at this level and concentrate more on the ride experience itself. FYI...BB5 brakes really aren't that bad and if you don't like them the BB7 is a cheap upgrade.

The raw finish on that Kona is sweet though. Would be tempted to get that over the Redline based on finish alone.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Have you ridden both? If so, which feels better to you? I wouldn't worry too much about components at this level and concentrate more on the ride experience itself. FYI...BB5 brakes really aren't that bad and if you don't like them the BB7 is a cheap upgrade.
    Agreed. I will ride both. Assuming they both felt correct I was curious about components . If one was head and shoulders better than the other.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Never rode the Unit, but did enjoy my old Monocog Flight. The only "issue" was the rear tire clearance. I don't think I could have fit anything bigger than 2.2's out back.

WNC Native
    I've never ridden a Flight, but the Unit is a sweet ride. Also plenty of tire clearance and a tad shorter stays too.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The only functional difference with the BB5 vs. the BB7 is that the BB7 has an outboard pad contact adjustment. Which is functionally the same as the barrel adjuster on your brake lever.

I wouldn't let the brakes decide the bike for you. I really like my MCF, but I have no direct experience with the Kona. Rear tire clearance is a little tight on the MCF as someone else mentioned. Regardless, it's my go to bike currently.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would also take a hard look at the Karate Monkey. It has track ends, so maybe not what you'd prefer, but I feel the shorter stays on the Monkey handles better and climbs better than my old Monocog Flights (not that those were bad). Highly recommended.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sizes are a little different too. I have a 18" kona with a 23.5tt, which fit me perfect. The 17" rl was a little cramped. That's what pushed me to the kona. Just my 2 cents. Both good frames either way you go, so fit was my deciding factor.

mtbr member
    I've had a Karate Monkey (2005-ish time frame) and currently have a 2011 Kona Unit. A buddy of mine at work commutes on a Monocog.

Personally, I like the KM least, but Surly has made changes since 2005 so it may be better. I found mine to be a lumber-wagon and the track dropouts were a pain when I moved to disc brakes. A little pricey for what it is today.

The Monocog I have only ridden about 5 miles. Tough to beat for the price. Buddy really likes his, but he is a roadie. The Mono is used mainly in bad weather / winter. He put BB5's on it. They are perfectly fine.

Kona Unit... mainly enjoy it because of the slack geo on the 16" model. Rides better than my old KM. I bought the frame on close-out for less than $300 so the price was right. ??? It's a solid bike and I use it for everything.

BB7 vs BB5 - I have had BB7's since 2008. I put BB5's on my dad's bike. They both work fine and with better pads, work even better. Yes, the BB7's are much easier to adjust. but, the BB5's aren't that hard to deal with.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    I am down to the 2 above bikes both which have slider drop outs .

Any opinions on the above bikes?
    kona unit. just sold my 2004 independent fabrication ti 29er singlespeed and i must say the kona at 1/5th the cost built up fits/rides better than my old indy. the indy was multiple pounds lighter the way it was built, but the chainstays were 17.75", angles were old school, and tire clearance was tight even for a 2.1 as there were like only 2 tire choices back when i had it built.

for the money you can't beat the unit. i'm buying one this week and leaving 100% of it stock. may even start racing again. some of my best race results back in the day were on an old fully stock 2001 bianchi cuss rigid single 36x18t. the engine, not the bike. pay less ride more!!!

enjoy

rog

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    Get them both, plus a Monkey. =)

But seriously, ride them both and pick the one that feels best. Don't let the brakes decide it- they are easy to replace if they end up bothering you that much.
    Bring it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I went with the Kona Unit. Overall I'm loving it. I have invested some money into it already, but all I did was swap brakes, crankset, grips, tires, and wheelset. The biggest factor is going tubeless if that's your thing. I highly recommend it on a rigid.

All the advice hear is good advice.

mtbr member
    I also went wight the Kona Unit and love it!

mtbr member
    +1 for the kona unit!
    I had the same delima with the exact same choices.you won't be disappointed with the unit!