mtbr member

Kona "A" full suspension SS, anybody familiar with it?

Not trying to start a debate about the simplicity of a SS, it shouldn't be a FS, etc.
    Trying to get some info on the Kona FS SS "A"
    The Kona site pretty much shows a picture and list the price and size.
    The size is listed as, but no TT lengths.
    Frame Size 19" 20" 21" 23"
    Standover Height 30.5" 31.25" 32" 34"
    Height 5'8" - 6'3" 6'0" - 6'4" 6'2" - 6'7" 6'5" - 6'10"
    Inseam 31.0" - 34.5" 33.0" - 36.0" 35.0" - 39.0" 37.0" - 41.0"
    Crank Length 175mm 175mm 175mm 175mm
    Arm Length 22.5" - 25.0" 23.5" - 26.0" 25.0" - 27.5" 26.5" - 29.0"
    Stem Length 110 - 120mm 110 - 120mm 120mm 120mm

Does the frame use an EBB of sorts?
    Any idea of the weight of the frame?
    How does the FS react with the chain or does it requite some sort of tension device?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.
    KMan
    Attached Images Attached Images

ali'i hua
    well, from what I can tell:
    no ebb- sliding rear dropouts (see the two bolts on each dropout?)
    no suspension issues- exactly why the bottom bracket IS at the center of the lower pivot point.

all I know is that my LBS has/had one, and its weighs a lot for a SS, and I think that it gets away from the simplicity that some of us dig in SSing....but im not giving up on full discs on a SS

King Pin

Gearing.

I was planning on just keepin' my 32/19 that I ride in the mountains.

The QQQQ's team is commited to just having a good time, and not worrying about times and lap counts and such, as I understand......

Is this gearing gonna SUCK big time?? I have 16/18/19 and 20 tooth rear cogs to
    choose from. Plan on keeping the 32, tho. Help me out, here...pleez!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    I was planning on just keepin' my 32/19 that I ride in the mountains.

The QQQQ's team is commited to just having a good time, and not worrying about times and lap counts and such, as I understand......

Is this gearing gonna SUCK big time?? I have 16/18/19 and 20 tooth rear cogs to
    choose from. Plan on keeping the 32, tho. Help me out, here...pleez!
    Where did you mean to post this, xrmattaz? It certainly is not about the Kona A.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Not dead yet, just playin
    I'm thinking the "A" is just waiting for a Rohloff..

op

mtbr member

... and if we just ... The cool thing about this new board......

Is that I can type a reply in one of my own messages and have it brought right back to the top and no longer collecting dust at the back of the line.
    Don't you just love this new board!

KMan

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Try emailing Kona, they are great for answering stuff.

Eg. Weight, top tube lengths etc.

tech@konaworld.com

If you have to ask...

A?

No EBB. It has adjustable dropouts.

The chain tension from pedaling pulls the bottom bracket down. Monkey motion time.

Probably 6 1/2 - 7 pounds, depending on size.

Top tube length would probably mimic the specs on the Dawg... at least, that's my guess.

miles

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Saw one today built up and it looked sweet.
    I don't think that I would go for a FS though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It has adj. drops for chain tension.

Its a concentric single pivot design with a walking linkage for the shock. No chain growth issues - the distance from the drops to BB does not change.

I'd call/email Kona for the rest of the info(size/weight)

mtbr member

I did contact Kona, this is what the had to say....

"Our designer's riding one, he says if you hit a bump you don't feel a kick in the pedals. If you're really a pedal masher you can bob the bike a little more. A propedal shock will tune that out, and the lockout really will make it vanish.
    For a 20" the TT is 24" (as a Kikapu etc.).
    The chain is tensioned by a sliding dropout. Since the stay pivots around the BB, tension is constant.
    I just have an 18" here. It's 5.5 lbs without a rear shock."

KMan

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Thanks everyone for the info.........Anyone interetsed in a 20" Spicer Ti w/ EBB?

Only reason I was asking about a FS SS is due to some back issues (degeneration in my lower back) the Dr./Physical therapist I have been seeing suggest I stay away from HT. Since I just started SS last spring and really love it I didn't want to give it up that easily. Unfortunately due to medical problems this may be it for me.
    Looks like it may be back to gears (FS) and just a lurker here
    Anyone interested in a Spicer Ti frame? size 20"

KMan

try driving your car less

back pain

Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    Only reason I was asking about a FS SS is due to some back issues (degeneration in my lower back) the Dr./Physical therapist I have been seeing suggest I stay away from HT. Since I just started SS last spring and really love it I didn't want to give it up that easily. Unfortunately due to medical problems this may be it for me.

KMan
    Kman -
    In the old forum there was alot of info on back pain and SSing. Try posting a new thread, but basically, I started using an excersize ball to strengthen my 'core', and I did some stretches, and it really helped. I am not an expert, but some folks here are, so try asking about back pain. Also, try a suspension seatpost. I did not do this, but I put big tires (2.5) and a Ti post (that I already had), and it made a difference. I also screwed around with post height, and I got a higher rise stem to get out of 'super toughy racer guy' position. It was like night and day on my back.

Also, try gearing down. I think people get less back pain on geared bikes because they just ride a lower gear all the time. Swallow your pride and put on a lower gear. You will be slower, but your back wont hurt so much.

After all that, my back still aches if I put in alot of miles in a week. So I am migrating to a softtail singlespeed. Just got the ENO wheel for it and now I just have to wait a few months to ride.

hope that helps
    JH
    PS Tell KeithG 'hi'. and that he should look me up again for riding. and to put saranwrap over the DVD player.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KMan

KMan
    KMan,

You may be right about the hardtail. However, before you give up on them, check out a book from world-renound physical therapist Robin McKenzie called "Treat Your Own Back". It was recommended to me by another cyclist, and has been absolutely effective in fixing my lower back pain. A few years ago, I had excruciating lower back pain, but a series of stretches (which I still do daily) got me back in primo condition. I ride hardtails exclusively.

Anyway, you can order it through Orthapedic Physical Therapy Products - www.optp.com or 1-800-367-7393.

Well worth the money (only $10-12 if I recall correctly).

Craig
    * Soulcraft Plowboy SS/fixxie
    * Steelman Eurocross 525 fixxie/SS
    * Custom-built Haro BMX tandem for the kids

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rode an "A"

I got a chance to ride a pre-production A and really enjoyed it. It does kind of defeat the simplicity of a SS, but it was a real hoot to ride.