mtbr member

KMC z510/610hx chain

i come from a BMX freestyle background and i have always sworn by the KMC z510hx aka "dropbuster" chain. i think the old SRAM chain on my SS mtb is stretched and i need a new one. i would rather have a strong, reliable chain even if it's heavy. the 510 is a 1/8" chain and the 610 is the 3/32" version of the same thing (at least that's what it appears to be.) it's supposedly "stretch-proof." should i get one of those? i don't have a lot of extra cash to spend on a chain right now, so nothing fancy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Go with your gut. Stretch proof is a lie. That's like saying it won't wear. I've broken a 610HX, but I seem to be one of the very few. I like the K710SLs. The regular K710 is fine too.

mtbr member
    meh, the 710 chains were one of the worst chains i ever had on my bmx bike. it stretched like a mofo and snapped on me, no grinding, just snapped.

i have a 3/32" chain on my mtb right now. if i end up getting another dropbuster, should i get the 1/8" version or the 3/32" version? why does it matter?