mtbr member
    Mar 2004

King SS hub issues...anyone else?

I have had this issue with my King SS rear hub. I can get the adjusting clamp tight enough to alleviate play but after a ride, you can grab the wheel and feel that it is slightly loose once again. The adjusting clamp will not get any tighter yet after each ride, the play is back.

By loosening and re-tightening, it seems to get better but obviously this is temporary. Has anybody else had similar experiences?

Misfit Psycles
    had the same issue on a set of 9spd kings. the buggers would not stay snug. every 3-6 hours of riding things got loose. when i did get it all tight (temporarly) i was left with ghost pedalling...warranty was a big issue 1-2 years ago in the great white north while distributors changed...so i sold the whole stupid bike.

i had 2 king reps and 2 shops work on it. problem dogged me for 6 months.

i understand a shop recently replaced the hub under warranty for the new owner...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

I like bikes

Fix for King Hub

Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    had the same issue on a set of 9spd kings. the buggers would not stay snug. every 3-6 hours of riding things got loose. when i did get it all tight (temporarly) i was left with ghost pedalling...warranty was a big issue 1-2 years ago in the great white north while distributors changed...so i sold the whole stupid bike.

i had 2 king reps and 2 shops work on it. problem dogged me for 6 months.

i understand a shop recently replaced the hub under warranty for the new owner...
    Buy a Hadley

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have the CK Classic hubs. Something similar happened to me on my rear hub. Turns out the sealed bearing cartridge on one side was not seated. So it didn't matter how tight you set the preload. It was a simple fix to reseat the cartridge bearing. It's been perfect ever since.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    good rec...just hope you don't need a colored hub that Hadley doesn't have available.......serious wait otherwise

but Diggin the 1 x 14 too

Idea! king issues...

Quote Originally Posted by 1speed
    I have had this issue with my King SS rear hub. I can get the adjusting clamp tight enough to alleviate play but after a ride, you can grab the wheel and feel that it is slightly loose once again. The adjusting clamp will not get any tighter yet after each ride, the play is back.

By loosening and re-tightening, it seems to get better but obviously this is temporary. Has anybody else had similar experiences?
    [SIZE=2]

...i have had the same exact problem, the trouble is that the axle threads are just SHY of being enough for the locking ring to really tighten down on, you are running out of thread! - i found my OWN remedy, since i own a King Hub service tool - i popped out the Hub bearings on BOTH sides, i then added 1 of the Thin White King Hub seals to Each Side, behind the bearings to move them OUT a bit (they come in the rebuild kits) and then reinstalled the bearings and did NOT OVERTIGHTEN them, or push them in with too much force, this gave me a bit more adjustment and allowed me to actually tighten up the adjusting ring and it has not loosened again in about 500 miles of riding!
    your other option is to return the wheel to King, it is under warranty, but i did not want to be without my SS wheel and found my own fix, they WILL repair or replace it, but it may not stay fixed, my remedy will FIX it AND give you the ability to tighten it up more as time goes on and your bearings start to wear normally, the problem you are having is really common on the KING SS hubs! hope this helps!
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes yes yes

I had the dame problem. There is supposed to be a break-in period where the hub will looosen up after about every ride. So every ride I would take the disc off and tighten the hub with the freaking 3/32 allen. Eventually, I couldn't get the hub to tighten at all. When I pulled the thing apart with the King tool, I discovered the through axle thing had a considerable amount of wear. I then shipped the wheel back to King and had a hub with all new innards by the end of the week.

If nothing else I would give King a call, they usually have some helpful suggestions if nothing else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I had the same problem with a set of CK classic hubs on my geared xc bike. The LBS acted like it was my fault that I was doing something to cause it. I traded the wheels for a set of Spinergy Xyclone Disc, no problems in two years.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2gears=1speed
    [SIZE=2]

...i have had the same exact problem, the trouble is that the axle threads are just SHY of being enough for the locking ring to really tighten down on, you are running out of thread! - i found my OWN remedy, since i own a King Hub service tool - i popped out the Hub bearings on BOTH sides, i then added 1 of the Thin White King Hub seals to Each Side, behind the bearings to move them OUT a bit (they come in the rebuild kits) and then reinstalled the bearings and did NOT OVERTIGHTEN them, or push them in with too much force, this gave me a bit more adjustment and allowed me to actually tighten up the adjusting ring and it has not loosened again in about 500 miles of riding!
    your other option is to return the wheel to King, it is under warranty, but i did not want to be without my SS wheel and found my own fix, they WILL repair or replace it, but it may not stay fixed, my remedy will FIX it AND give you the ability to tighten it up more as time goes on and your bearings start to wear normally, the problem you are having is really common on the KING SS hubs! hope this helps!
    [/SIZE]
    I called them again today and of course they said to "send it in". I have a spare wheel but it's not what I wanted to do. I told them about the solution you suggested and the tech's reply was "hmm" and a no comment moment of silence. I may just request a set of the seals even if I send it back to them.

thanks for the help

I like bikes

Good job! Well Worth the Wait

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    good rec...just hope you don't need a colored hub that Hadley doesn't have available.......serious wait otherwise
    I have a set of Blue ones on my SS. But you are right they did take a month to get. Ti free hub and bolts, 108pt engagement, less expensive than CK’s and easier to adjust / service.

king response...

Quote Originally Posted by 1speed
    I called them again today and of course they said to "send it in". I have a spare wheel but it's not what I wanted to do. I told them about the solution you suggested and the tech's reply was "hmm" and a no comment moment of silence. I may just request a set of the seals even if I send it back to them.

thanks for the help
    [SIZE=2]
    you are welcome! ...after i spoke to KING about my loose SS Hub, they wanted me to send my wheel in too, which i did not want to do after talking to them! they said that they would "probably" put a new axle in but they had NOT redesigned the axle - so i knew i would be getting the same system back... i have not since told them how i fixed MY hub, and i am not surprised that they had NO COMMENT to you about that! ...i personally feel that they will not or can not really admit that there may de a defect in the design, i guess they do not want the exposure. what they will likely do is exchange your axle with an exact same axle, and your wheel will VERY possibly loosen up again after a few hundred miles or less. it IS NORMAL for it to loosen after a new wheel build or lacing, but the "can't get it tight anymore" problem that many of us have had is common - after the bearings break in - you can NOT get the play out of the axle! ...anyway - i do not know if they would approve of MY remedy or not - but i have tested it on my own and had NO ISSUES whatsoever since finding my own fix! ...good luck - post again after you get it back and ride it for a while ... or PM me if you have any questions!
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by 2gears=1speed; 07-08-2005 at 03:28 PM.

Samsonite Tester
    Also had the same problem , with the occasional ghost pedal. Had in overhauled by the pros at The Path. It has been perfect since.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    i did not have this problem. as a matter of fact, in about a year, i've only had to adjust my 3 times.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    This is what I don't get about Chris King products. If this was any other manufacturers hubs with these problems they would get SLAMMED on this website but people are so brainwashed with Chris King products and having spent the price of a decent hardtail bike on them they just look at it as part of owning the hubs. WTF.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    This is what I don't get about Chris King products. If this was any other manufacturers hubs with these problems they would get SLAMMED on this website but people are so brainwashed with Chris King products and having spent the price of a decent hardtail bike on them they just look at it as part of owning the hubs. WTF.
    I was thinking the same thing..........I will never buy a set of King hubs with some of the other killer options out there

Samsonite Tester
    I was thinking the same thing..........I will never buy a set of King hubs with some of the other killer options out there
    The CK hubs roll fast and smooth. They are very light weight. They cost $$$ , but so does a ferrari. Just because you spent so much on your Ferrari does that mean you won't do oil changes or balance a wheel ?

I will likely never buy another set of CK hubs , because these will last forever.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! CKing IS King...

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet

[SIZE=2]...i feel that the value in King Products is worth investing in! King Products cost more - sure but they last a LOT longer - which really equates into costing less over time as they do not need replacing and their backlog of their older parts is superb! anyone who owns a King product or has taken any time to read about the company, their ecology and recycling programs, the employee pride and benefits, would understand that KEEPING jobs in AMERICA costs a bit more money, but we the consumer win in the long run - they have even MOVED out of california to lower costs and help make and keep their products fairly and competitively priced... what more can they do? ...they are entitled to a profit while providing some of the best made and best engineered products in the industry with the LONGEST warranties as well... when considering a budget, i would rather buy a USED King Part then MANY others' NEW parts! - they warranty their products to ANY owner, not just the original owner which is smart - they warranty the actual PRODUCTS! there are a lot of Very Good products available for bicycles today that do COST less and are a good value too... so for those out there that ONLY shop by price - then you certainly will get what you pay for! ...all buyers can draw their own conclusions, but don't bash KING because you do not comprehend their quality and/or value. bottom line - you get what you pay for and no one or no company is perfect - but they may be as close as any can get in today's manufacturing environment! Like Thomson Products - they are 100% MADE in the USA from USA-Made materials... BOTTOM LINE: if you do not like them or agree with the pricing, FINE!, do not buy their products, but do not BASH either! so they cost more... GET OVER IT ALREADY![/SIZE]
    Last edited by 2gears=1speed; 07-09-2005 at 10:52 AM.

i can appreciate that. I have had Chris King hubs and liked them. I am simply not convinced that they are "all that"....especially with so many strong contenders (ie, Hadley) and dollar for dollar, I certainly do not think they are the best at all, but very nice nonetheless.

mtbr member

Response

i can appreciate that. I have had Chris King hubs and liked them. I am simply not convinced that they are "all that"....especially with so many strong contenders (ie, Hadley) and dollar for dollar, I certainly do not think they are the best at all, but very nice nonetheless.
    I am only responding to this to see that A$$ shake

QR hub uses a metric wrench that matches the front (they way it should be). Myself and several of my riding buddies have had problems with that cheesy 3/32 screw on the rear hub (HD axle and SS hubs) constantly coming loose. I stripped mine out and they were niiiiice...... enough to send a replacement screw for $4 + tax and shipping.