Lazy People Suck

King Kogs and Al freehub bodies

I am in the process of building up my dream singlespeed (about a month away for the frameset) and got in a 19t King Kog yesterday. I ordered it because I will be running Crossmax Disc SL's on my SS and the Kings have a wide base on them. I was suprised at how narrow the base was.. I guess I was expecting it to be wider. Has anyone ever had a problem with King Kogs eating into an Al freehub body. I guess I can always get a new freehub body if it does, but may have to look at other options. Is the Boone base any wider or am I worrying over nothing?
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Fett
    I am in the process of building up my dream singlespeed (about a month away for the frameset) and got in a 19t King Kog yesterday. I ordered it because I will be running Crossmax Disc SL's on my SS and the Kings have a wide base on them. I was suprised at how narrow the base was.. I guess I was expecting it to be wider. Has anyone ever had a problem with King Kogs eating into an Al freehub body. I guess I can always get a new freehub body if it does, but may have to look at other options. Is the Boone base any wider or am I worrying over nothing?
    Jeff, Ive been running standard hyperglide cogs on my Mavic freehub for a yaer now with no problems and the King is much wider than those. I think you'll have no issues at all. What frame did you settle on?
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Always thought the King Kogs were nice and wide. Certain they won't do any harm .
    Wibble

mtbr member
    I dunno.... I split two aluminum cassette hubs, using cassettes, and even a Boone cog is way more narrow than a shimano cassette on your aluminum... I currently have a ti cassette hub and my aluminum King Kog has left marks on the darn thing after 5 months of steady riding.

The Top Cap Guy
    I've ran one off and on for about the last year and I did more damage to my freehub body (King ISO) with a loose XT 9 speed cassette. Never any issues with the King Kog. I don;t have a Boone - so I can;t say how wide it is... but the only wider one I have is a Spicer Ti cog - its about 10mm wide at the cassette side - but it's a tank too....

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    I dunno.... I split two aluminum cassette hubs, using cassettes, and even a Boone cog is way more narrow than a shimano cassette on your aluminum... I currently have a ti cassette hub and my aluminum King Kog has left marks on the darn thing after 5 months of steady riding.
    This really surprises me E! You may be ugly, but not that fat and you're legs don't look THAT massive!

Seriously though, It really sounds like a torque issue with the lockring. Have you been torquing them down to specs... like with a real life torque wrench?

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrab
    This really surprises me E! You may be ugly, but not that fat and you're legs don't look THAT massive!

Seriously though, It really sounds like a torque issue with the lockring. Have you been torquing them down to specs... like with a real life torque wrench?
    Heh, heh! Actually, I am pretty fat, on a percentage basis Stick legs and a beer gut don't always cancel each other out...

I do torque them down, both cassettes and my 12t lockring on the conversion. I just crank it until something creaks or it suddenly gets loose, then back a little. Two aluminum carriers in 12 years at 200-235lb...I figure I got my money's worth for using lightweight stuff.

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Heh, heh! Actually, I am pretty fat, on a percentage basis Stick legs and a beer gut don't always cancel each other out...

I do torque them down, both cassettes and my 12t lockring on the conversion. I just crank it until something creaks or it suddenly gets loose, then back a little. Two aluminum carriers in 12 years at 200-235lb...I figure I got my money's worth for using lightweight stuff.
    You can come over and use one of mine sometime (torque wrenches) if you want to be sure you've got it on there right.

Last night we were SSing at PQ and got passed by a pack of SSers just after finishing descending lower cobbles and popping back into the flats... well it looked like 4 SSers and one gearie. You weren't in that pack were you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrab
    You can come over and use one of mine sometime (torque wrenches) if you want to be sure you've got it on there right.

Last night we were SSing at PQ and got passed by a pack of SSers just after finishing descending lower cobbles and popping back into the flats... well it looked like 4 SSers and one gearie. You weren't in that pack were you?
    Thanks!
    I wasn't in that group (you should have known, you said "passed"...heh heh) but if they were wearing matching jerseys...I'd bet on the Bike Empire gang. They're fast, fun to ride with and very often, color-coordinated.

I broke a spoke on Monday's ride and have to head into Blacksmith for more spares and to payoff my running tab before I take the rig back out. I'll be done by Saturday: have a Ranger doing a ride-along with me (so if you're up for an SS ride in PQ around 8-10am, we might bump into you) and it won't do to have another one go "ping!" because I haven't repaired and retensioned.

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Thanks!
    I wasn't in that group (you should have known, you said "passed"...heh heh) but if they were wearing matching jerseys...I'd bet on the Bike Empire gang. They're fast, fun to ride with and very often, color-coordinated.

I broke a spoke on Monday's ride and have to head into Blacksmith for more spares and to payoff my running tab before I take the rig back out. I'll be done by Saturday: have a Ranger doing a ride-along with me (so if you're up for an SS ride in PQ around 8-10am, we might bump into you) and it won't do to have another one go "ping!" because I haven't repaired and retensioned.
    No matching jerseys. Glad to hear you weren't in the group. They were of the annoying variety that hammered to pass our group of three, and then promptly slowed down so they were 25 yards in front of us for the couple miles back east to the softball fields. WTF, I say. Must have been a disappointment for them when they passed only to discover that were were on SS's too.