mtbr member

King Headset Question (again)

Would this picture support the theory that the head tube on my Spicer Ti was not cut parallel? The cups were pressed in by Gene himself and I used my home made press just to make sure they were seated all the way. I get this same gap using 2 different forks, stems and base plates (bottom race), so I have eliminated these as potential causes. I even tried different headset spacers. It has to be the head tube, right? I spoke to a friend who manages a shop and he said facing a Ti head tube would likely destroy the cutter.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contrarian
    It certainly looks as if it needs facing. I wouldn't have thought a decent cutter would suffer too much - people face ti tubes all the time using normal shop tools.

mtbr member

mtbr member

Finally, some action taken.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithG
    Would this picture support the theory that the head tube on my Spicer Ti was not cut parallel? The cups were pressed in by Gene himself and I used my home made press just to make sure they were seated all the way. I get this same gap using 2 different forks, stems and base plates (bottom race), so I have eliminated these as potential causes. I even tried different headset spacers. It has to be the head tube, right? I spoke to a friend who manages a shop and he said facing a Ti head tube would likely destroy the cutter.

Thoughts?
    My Spicer frame went under the knife (or cutter) yesterday afternoon. I hope the reeming/facing fixes the problem. I pick her up this afternoon.
    I want to thank everyone for their input and advise.

Mashers Only!!
    Keep us posted!!!

HUGH

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yo Keith

I was spying your frame last night and it looked like they were just starting to work on it and stopped! I guess Tom himself is doing the work. Your fork is mega light!

3D guy

Same issue here...

My Spicer frame went under the knife (or cutter) yesterday afternoon. I hope the reeming/facing fixes the problem. I pick her up this afternoon.
    different cause though. The bottom of the stem clamp was not parallel thus the gap problem, easily fixed by replacing el cheapo with some slightly better. You say you have checked the stems, maybe check again and rotate the stem to see if the problem stay put relative to the head tube or stem (just to be sure)

mtbr member

Good job! Ahhhhhh.. now that's better.

Problem solved. The head tube (top and bottom) was off 1-2mm. Looks good now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mashers Only!!
    Amazing that they let a frame out like that. Oh well could have been worse. Glad you got it right!!! Thanks for keeping us informed.
    HUGH