Plan #123-D

Kind of a ridiculous advice question...

I bow to ye all mighty forum; help me with this quandary:

I travel frequently between two cities about 1.5 hours apart. Usually I bring my 29er SS along but lately hauling it every other weekend has become a chore, considering the other things I need to bring (e.g., family, dog, work, etc)

I stumbled across a new old stock Redline Monocog 29er at a LBS for $300 out the door.

My question is, do I spend the money I've been saving for a suspension fork on said suspension fork for the current SS 29er. Or, do I spend the suspension fork money on the Monocog and keep it in city B so I no longer need to travel with a bike?

I've heard that people who buy Monocogs as a second or third bike end up loving them quite a bit....

I have a set of BB7s in the parts bin I could throw on it...

So, suspension fork or Monocog 29er?

I've actually been struggling with this much more than I should be.
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

mtbr member
    $300 for a brand new Monocog sounds kind of nice to me...but I really like Monocogs so I'm the wrong person to answer this question.

mtbr member
    i love my rigid SS. So, suspension fork on it isn't a priority for me. That said, a bike in both places would be my choice. I do this with my hometown. When i visit family, i have a spare bike there for rides. This way, i don't have to worry about traveling with my bike, where to store it, getting it stolen while eating at the roadside cafe... its easier this way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Suspension sucks. It's heavy, expensive, soaks up your power when you're climbing and needs lots of maintenance. I'd take the Monocog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatsinglespeeder View Post
    Suspension sucks. It's heavy, expensive, soaks up your power when you're climbing and needs lots of maintenance. I'd take the Monocog.
    My Fox Terralogic would like to have a word with you. Lighter than my stock Monocog fork and doesn't have that suspension bob when standing and mashing.

mtbr member
    Suspension sucks. It's heavy, expensive, soaks up your power when you're climbing and needs lots of maintenance.
    Those are all only your opinion.

Suspension is great for a lot of riding. The only reason i prefer rigid is because i'm a noob and the brake dive and geometry changes under load seem to sketch me out. It is great for reducing fatigue and making the ride more comfortable. Its also great for better traction when set up correctly. Rigid will bounce around while suspension will follow the contours of the ground better.

Suspension isn't heavy. Depending on the rigid fork and suspension fork, its even possible that they may have similar weights. Although, in general, suspension is "heavier" than a rigid fork.

A suspension fork only soaks up minimal power even when active. If a rider is bouncing around enough that its bobbing, the riders form is actually being less efficient than the affect of the suspension. Many forks have lockout as well. This will reduce the bobbing even more.

A suspension for really requires very little maintenance. I even enjoy working on my bike and seem to work on my rigid SS about an hour or 2 every month. To do a 25-50hr cleaning might take an extra 30-45min every 4-6 months.

Just wanted to clear some of that misconception up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    My Fox Terralogic would like to have a word with you. Lighter than my stock Monocog fork and doesn't have that suspension bob when standing and mashing.
    I've had only full suspension bikes in the last fifteen years and I always thought that I was bad at climbing. Then I built a fully rigid Moonlander and suddenly I can climb like a mountain goat. Needless to say, I've dumped my FS bikes and won't go back, ever.

mtbr member
    Then I built a fully rigid Moonlander and suddenly I can climb like a mountain goat.
    If you're running low pressure, those tires can soak up more power than a properly set up fork. They also weigh as much as a fork in the worst place to add weight.

Then again, if that's what makes you smile... pedal young man, pedal! That's what we ride for anyways, right?

Just Ride
    Get the cog. Since I've gotten mine, my geared HT hasn't seen any trail time. And realistically, won't all summer. Heck I may never ride it again, who knows.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member

Kind of a ridiculous advice question...

IMHO, get the cog. Less hassle traveling and save up again for a squishy fork if you want one.
    Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

Plan #123-D
    Thanks for all the advice so far...looks like 1+ for the fork and 8+ for the Monocog...

mtbr member
    +9 for the cog.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you don't pick up that Monocog, please forward the info to that shop. I will buy it.

Get the extra bike. You can save up again for the suspension fork.

Plan #123-D
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    If you don't pick up that Monocog, please forward the info to that shop. I will buy it.

Get the extra bike. You can save up again for the suspension fork.
    PM'ed you about sizing.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Easy! Buy the Monocog, especially for $300 out the door...I'd buy that!
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    It sounds like the extra bike will make it easier for you to ride more. That is a good thing.

+10 monocog...