mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Karate Monkey vs Trek Rig

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, few time poster here.

I have decided to add a 29r Singlespeed to my stable. I probably won't race it. More likely I'll use it as a training tool to get faster on my other bikes and also just to bomb around with and have fun on.

My local bike store is a Trek / Giant / Surly dealer. They are a great store and I have purchased all 7 of my bikes from them as well as sent many other people there for bikes. I ride with the manager and half a dozen employees every week on our local trails and race on their team so I plan on buying all future bikes from them. Plus they give me a nice discount for my loyalty.

Anyway, I think I have three options:

1) Trek Rig
    2) Karate Monkey complete
    3) Karate Monkey frame and build it up with either Easton or Crank Bros components and wheels

The finished bike will likely be somewhere in the $1000 to $1500 range.

Which one would you go with?

Thanks for your help!

Tim

mtbr member
    A Karate Monkey is a true do it all bike that you can own for years for different uses.

Just to make it harder Surly now have the Orge to make the choice even harder.

Me. If I could afford it would always go with a custom build over a complete bike.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    don't feel bad about your post #s. i've been here since the beginning and don't have many.

i like the surly, but, honestly, i don't know much about the trek. you'll never go too wrong with a surly.

building a bike from the frame up is a good experience, and makes the bike uniquely yours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    don't feel bad about your post #s. i've been here since the beginning and don't have many.

i like the surly, but, honestly, i don't know much about the trek. you'll never go too wrong with a surly.

building a bike from the frame up is a good experience, and makes the bike uniquely yours.
    The sense of satisfaction from building yourself is hard to beat....

Or were you planning on having LBS build it.??

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was going to do as much as I could myself, with the shop helping out on things I can't do at home. Yes, the satisfaction of building my own bike would be pretty cool...

I'm leaning towards the Karate Monkey frame with Crank Bros rims, stem, saddle, handlebars, seatpost, headset, and pedals. Shimano XT or Surly crank and cog. Avid Elixir 5 brakes. Tires might be something like a Slant 6 on the front and a Small Block 8 on the back.

What do you guys think?

Tim

mtbr member
    I had a Rig and then sold that and got a Singular Swift. I'm now building ( or my bike shop is building up) a Karate Monkey. I like the feel of steel over the feel of the aluminum on the Rig. I decided to go the way of frame set over a complete bike just so I could pick out what I want for components. The biggest factor for me are the wheels, I wanted something bomb proof for a person that is no light weight, 205lbs. I ride the Swift hard through all types of terrain and the bike just keeps asking for more. Both the Swift and Monkey are fully rigid and SS. Go with the frame set, you'll be happy you did.

mtbr member
    Custom KM build. End of thread!

Sweep the leg!
    I see the Rig as more of a race bike that can double as a very nice training bike. I see the Karate Monkey as a utility bike that does everything well and could be used as a race bike despite it's weight or relaxed geometry.

I've never owned a KM, but I have swapped bikes with friends on MTB weekends and I like the KM. the Rig I owned was the 1st generation, I think they're on generation 3 or 4 now and I haven't ridden those newer versions. I no longer own it as it has been replaced by a Ferrous, which is no longer made.

I like the possibility of dialing it in from the beginning and not having a bin of stock parts. The KM allows you to do that. The Rig comes with everything you need to ride, but if you want to change stuff out you'll have leftovers.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    Custom KM build. End of thread!
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The km complete is a good looking kit with parts a little better than what the Unit comes with. I have had a lot of bikes but all the unit needed was a carbon bar and seat post to be the best bike I have owned. I don't remember seeing any good reviews of the crankbro stuff. The km complete, ride when you get it and change parts as you need. You will love it and should be cheaper so you can get the good parts you want.
    2011 Kona unit with some carbon.