Thread: Just wondering

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Just wondering

Hey

Looking into some ss bikes. Have my eye on the GF marlin 29er or the redline monocog 29er. Any advice on these bikes ? both 2011

Also rode the KHS solo one se 29 , liked it but have read many dont like the rear frame point where the wheel goes on. The frame looks brittle but would like some input if anyone knows

hoping for help

thanx

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    as i look at both , i can get the monocog for 499 and the marlin for 599

u think for the extra hundred, i would get SR Suntour SF11 XCT V3 w/mechanical lockout front fork and Tektro Novela mechanical disc brakes .
    Wondering if comparing them its worth it ? I have read so many good things about the Monocog and havent been able to find much on the Marlin. For an extra 100 is it worth it to go with the marlin.
    I dont ride that crazy of trails and wondering if front fork and disc is worth it? Plus if i wanted to upgrade the monocog i would think it would cost me over 100 to add those components.

what ya think ?

local trails rider
    I don't really know any of those bikes but...

Can you try the other bikes too? Does any one of them feel like you have a better riding position on it? More balanced?

Disc brakes are superior if you ride in wet and dirty conditions. Otherwise, rim brakes are quite OK.

A suspension fork means less work on rough trails. It also means more parts that will sooner or later need maintenance.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Apr 2007
    Ive always liked the Monocog, but that Marlin doesn't look bad at all. The disc brakes and fork are well worth the extra $100. Sliding dropout is a nice touch, as if you ever want to run gears, it will be easier to do so. However, I do like the simplicity of the Monocog and will always vouch for that bike. Plus, I do like the steel frame better than the aluminum on the Trek.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

hey

thanx guys

good points u make. I am leaning towards the monocog more and more. I am an ex bmx racer and never had disc brakes and easy maintanence is a key for me.
    My bike shop gets the monocog in next week . I dont plan on switching to gears so it looks like the monocog is my top choice . Plus i like how many people say how much they love it.

I will test ride it next week.

thanx for your input

Apr 2007
    Also consider that you can pick up a Monocog for cheaper than $499. Try to negotiate a little with your shop. I've seen them at $400-$450 on the average.