mtbr member

Just what I need, more options

I am planning on having a new 29er ss frame built for me this fall/winter. Due to the economy, I want it built in the States and more specifically, from a California frame maker if possible. However, when I went into my LBS recently, the owner threw down a deal on a new Gary Fisher Superfly SS that has me spinning in indecision. He has it left over from Trek pulling his Gary Fisher line from him.

My question is; what is the country of origin for that frame. Was it made by Trek in the US or was it made overseas?

For a traditional steel guy like me, the alure of a carbon frame has me thinking.
    Anybody have any experience with that frame? Issues?
    Thanks
    Nobody will hurt you more than yourself

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    well, most carbon frames are made in taiwan. I know my rig was also made in taiwan, so i would assume that bike would be as well, but i've been known to be wrong.

How about a Siren? They're made in CA.

Got a suspension fork
    say no more, that is one sweet looking frame.

ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Trek does carbon fiber manufacturing in Wisconsin for their OCLV frames, but their other carbon frames (including the Superfly I believe) come from China. Almost all good imported carbon fiber comes from China actually.

mtbr member
    I'm not familiar with Siren, but I will check them out. I noticed on the Gary Fisher web site that the the new "Gary Fisher Collection" Superfly SS will be US made.

Thanks for the info. I can get the current Superfly SS with the Fox fork for $1250. It my be too good to pass up. I'll keep you posted.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by blsuedeshu
    I can get the current Superfly SS with the Fox fork for $1250. It my be too good to pass up. I'll keep you posted.
    Wow that is a steal. However it seems quite a few have had problems with the dropouts slipping, so you might want to search on that first.

The Siren's are NICE!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I have heard that issue with the dropouts before on the early track style frames. Thanks for the input. I'm still on the fence. I'll probably go more organic....steel or ti.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by blsuedeshu
    I'm not familiar with Siren, but I will check them out. I noticed on the Gary Fisher web site that the the new "Gary Fisher Collection" Superfly SS will be US made.

Thanks for the info. I can get the current Superfly SS with the Fox fork for $1250. It my be too good to pass up. I'll keep you posted.
    For what it's worth, I was talking to a guy out on the trail this morning and he ran a Superfly frame for the past couple years. But after four cracked frames in the past year and a half. He gave up on it and switched to a Niner Air9. Other guys in his adventure race group also had problems with frames cracking on the Superfly and gave up on them as well.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Hey! Here is another option I thought of. It just dawned on me that Kelly Bikes is back in business. I know his frames have won a couple of ss worlds and he was big into cyclocross. Any real life experences to share?

openwound
    I had a 26-inch wheeled kelly. Nice bike. I see he's now offering an EBB option.

Singular is running a sale right now on their swift frames. I'm really liking mine. Though it's not a custom, nor made in the U.S., it's a great riding bike for the money.