mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm Just pulled the trigger on a Gravity 29er SS (and a rant about Nashbar)

I ordered on Bikesdirect an orange 17.5" Gravity 29er SS.

For weeks I was dead set on buying the Nashbar SS 29er. It was listed at $343 for some time, and I would have been okay paying that price. However, the other day I saw they had a 20% off sale, so I figured it was the perfect time to buy. Not quite. For the "sale", they raised the price of the bike $80! If they simply put a "bikes not included" stipulation with the sale, and kept the price the same, I would have still ended up buying the bike from Nashbar. But to raise prices before a sale is dishonest and overall just a poor business practice. I emailed them about my disapproval, they responded with an apology. I will no longer be buying any products from Nashbar, so instead I chose to go with BD's Gravity 29er SS, $350, free shipping! Very similar build. Aluminum frame, steel fork, cheap hydraulics.

I also just ordered a cheap digital scale from ebay, so I'll be weighing some of the parts from the bike and finding out where I can save some weight for the best price. I'll be sure to share the weights of the parts.

I already have a set of 2012 Shimano XT brakes ready to go on the bike right from the initial set up.

Planned upgrades soon after purchase include ESI chunky grips, Niner Carbon Fork, Sette Nyx saddle. I'll see what the other components weigh and go from there.

I'm excited. I've read a lot of good things about this bike and I'll be sure to post some pics when it comes in!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Let me know what you think about it, and also how tall are you? I'm trying to figure out my sizing for a 29er frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesbrt View Post
    Let me know what you think about it, and also how tall are you? I'm trying to figure out my sizing for a 29er frame.
    I'm a hair under 5'10" (about 177 cm). I just assume sizing is the same as a 26er, and I'm usually comfortable on a medium frame which typically runs 17-18.5

Former Bike Wrench
    Nashbar and Performance (same company) are notorious for huge swings in their prices from week to week. I've seen the same item triple in price in some instances. You got to strike the iron while it's hot with them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nice bike, I've got the 17.5 G29 in White and really like it. For the money it's def a good deal. Oh and as far as sizing goes I'm 5'9" with a 32 inseam and the size feels good. At first when I got on it I thought it was a little big, but after a few minutes it started to feel good and now I'm very happy with the size. Only thing size wise I don't like is the handlebars are a little wide feeling, but I'm just going to cut about and inch off each side and that should fix that. I had to do the same with a Trek MTB I used to have, I don't like wide bars.

Oh and the rim strips it comes with suck, I changed them out for some of the Specialized plastic style and like them much better. I'd def recommend something like that, or some velotape on the rims.

Only other things I'm looking at changing are the grips, they are not great, the pedals, too small and bitey and the tires, but I use my G29 mostly for urban riding and light trails/offroad and it might make it to the MTB park we have around here a few times a year and even then I live in Florida so we don't have much in the way of great singletrack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by danraley41 View Post
    Nice bike, I've got the 17.5 G29 in White and really like it. For the money it's def a good deal. Oh and as far as sizing goes I'm 5'9" with a 32 inseam and the size feels good. At first when I got on it I thought it was a little big, but after a few minutes it started to feel good and now I'm very happy with the size. Only thing size wise I don't like is the handlebars are a little wide feeling, but I'm just going to cut about and inch off each side and that should fix that. I had to do the same with a Trek MTB I used to have, I don't like wide bars.

Oh and the rim strips it comes with suck, I changed them out for some of the Specialized plastic style and like them much better. I'd def recommend something like that, or some velotape on the rims.

Only other things I'm looking at changing are the grips, they are not great, the pedals, too small and bitey and the tires, but I use my G29 mostly for urban riding and light trails/offroad and it might make it to the MTB park we have around here a few times a year and even then I live in Florida so we don't have much in the way of great singletrack.
    Thanks for the tips. I need to get a pedal wrench anyway to install some Time ATACs that I have, so I might as well get some velotape while I'm at it.

mtbr member
    Man, that is irritating. Good luck with the Gravity, I am sure it will work out fine.

I feel lucky to have scored this bike (the nashbar) for under $300 back in July 2010. $323 total including shipping and tax. I'm really surprised that this bike is still going for well over $300 a year and a half later, when it's just a 2008 SE Stout.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Cheap hydraulics?? It comes with decent mechanical brakes. Woul be worth picking up some bb7's down the road

mtbr member
    for the money

mtbr member
    I thought I'd heard that the G29 was not suspension corrected so that Niner carbon fork may not work out.

I'm paying attention to these BD SS 29er builds as I want to build one for my gf sometime next year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ARCHAIC View Post
    Cheap hydraulics?? It comes with decent mechanical brakes. Woul be worth picking up some bb7's down the road
    whoops, typo, correct, they are mechanicals. Tektros.

I have some shimano xt hydraulics that are going on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    this is ridiculous. Now, after getting a UPS tracking email, I get an email and a refund from BD saying that they "oversold" the G29 and they don't have any more right now.

Even though I hate Nashbar and vowed to never order from them again, I'm about ready to order their 29er. All I want is a cheap SS rigid 29er in size medium, and I want it ASAP, is that really too much to ask?

But of course I can't order the nashbar yet because the refund isn't even in my bank account yet, its floating out there in la la land.

So frustrated. I'm about to go ride my tried and true 26er with the messed up derailleur.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The Nashbar 29er is the original aluminum SE Stout. I've had one for years (SE version) its a great bike for what it is

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by krott5333 View Post
    For weeks I was dead set on buying the Nashbar SS 29er. It was listed at $343 for some time, and I would have been okay paying that price. However, the other day I saw they had a 20% off sale, so I figured it was the perfect time to buy. Not quite. For the "sale", they raised the price of the bike $80! If they simply put a "bikes not included" stipulation with the sale, and kept the price the same, I would have still ended up buying the bike from Nashbar. But to raise prices before a sale is dishonest and overall just a poor business practice.
    I had the same problem with Nashbar raising the price on these every time I got a coupon. I waited through several "specials" where the price of the Nashbar would go to $415 and then back down to $343 as soon as my coupon expired.

Thankfully that let me do some more research and I eventually bought something from a (not too) Local Bike Shop for a great price and ended up with a new Redline Monocog with Disk brakes for somewhere between the two prices of the Nashbar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    fyi that nashbar 29er is back @ $343 & they are offering 20% off thru weds...

so you should be thanking bikedirect for screwing around with your order, now you can get the deal that you originally were after & actually save a few bux.

i do find it odd however, that you hate nashbar so much for raising & lowering their prices sometimes. everybody knows they do it...all you gotta do is keep an eye on them & eventually you'll get your discount & the lower price at the same time, just like now. but you don't seem to mind it one bit that bikedirect makes such ridiculously phony claims about the msrp on their bikes & you also are not raising a big stink about them delaying your refund. what gives?

i am not a fan of either, just find your differing attitude towards each of them a bit mystifying.

have fun & good luck...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch View Post

so you should be thanking bikedirect for screwing around with your order, now you can get the deal that you originally were after & actually save a few bux.

i do find it odd however, that you hate nashbar so much for raising & lowering their prices sometimes. everybody knows they do it...all you gotta do is keep an eye on them & eventually you'll get your discount & the lower price at the same time, just like now. but you don't seem to mind it one bit that bikedirect makes such ridiculously phony claims about the msrp on their bikes & you also are not raising a big stink about them delaying your refund. what gives?

i am not a fan of either, just find your differing attitude towards each of them a bit mystifying.

have fun & good luck...

They both left a salty taste in my mouth, that's for sure. But my cheapness always wins in the end, and honestly, I'll probably support both of these companies again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch View Post

have fun & good luck...

According to the email that Nashbar sent out about this discout ""Extra 20% Off All Orders $50 or More" use coupon code 89216 at checkout to receive discount. Coupon cannot be applied to previous purchases, and is not valid for bikes, frames, Speedplay products, Mavic products, Fox clothing products, Shimano component products, Gift Certificate or eGift Card purchases.

mtbr member
    yeah, i just noticed that the orange 17.5 is sold out....for all we know, anything 'available' is actually just sold out as of 5 minutes ago....and the site will update after 30 more orders go in....

nashbar pissed me off too and i got a 25% off coupon for ANYTHING/ANYTIME....which allowed me to lurk and wait for the dwindling (at the time) GT Peace 9rs to go on sale...i lost out on the desired for green medium, but got away with a medium tri-blue one for $280....not bad. and it's still going strong. but yeah, nashbar and performance often irk me.

now to BD...never did business with them, but a friend got the black medium recently...i tried it....very smooth and responsive when i tried it....i like the wide bars (add bar ends) for massive climbing umph (needed on the SS)...

does anyone own the SMALL 15.5 frame? i have the small and medium GT frames and both work for me....one is for billygoatin' up hills (the small)...the medium more for faster downhill runs (still, both are rigid). tempted to jump on the small G29 to race on. but hoping it's not TOO tight in the cockpit. i'm about 5'7"+

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I ended up getting the Nashbar 29er. I'm very happy with it.

My Nashbar Single Speed Rigid 29er (SE Stout) Build