mtbr member
    May 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well Just picked up a Zion 660 EBB frame NEED Help fello experts!!

I just picked up a 21" Zion 660 EBB frame for a steal of a deal ($115), at that price I could not let the chance to build up a SS bike. Problem is I have never built a bike before, but have some prior knowledge, so this will be my learning curve, I am using some of the parts from my previous Mongoose XR-250 like 1. Mozo M30 racing front suspension. I have a few noob questions (Please forgive my lack of knowledge) :

1.What size Bottom Bracket does the Zion frame require? (Make some suggestions if possible)

2.In terms of cranks for a Single speed, what are some good options and what sizing is best/applicable for the Zion frame? What size Bottom Bracket does the Zion frame require?

Sorry, again for my "Noobitity" = ), BTW i am a road rider, from time to time trails, etc.

pvd
    mtbr member
    What is a "SS bike"?

mtbr member
    BB shell for the Zion is 68mm english thread. Go with a 113mm spindle. Too many cranks out there, good bang for the buck is the Truvativ 1.1 GXP

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    What is a "SS bike"?
    That would be a singlespeed bike.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    BB shell for the Zion is 68mm english thread. Go with a 113mm spindle. Too many cranks out there, good bang for the buck is the Truvativ 1.1 GXP
    Thanks bro but any suggestions. = )

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Do I have to use a 113mm spindle? can I my frame take like a 118mm? I read somewhere the bigger the better? Also any reccomndations on a crankset? Something like $120 perhaps? Im on a budget.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StrontiumEthics
    Do I have to use a 113mm spindle? can I my frame take like a 118mm? I read somewhere the bigger the better? Also any reccomndations on a crankset? Something like $120 perhaps? Im on a budget.
    Since you're going with a SS set up chainline is going to be paramount. Wider is not better. With a 68mm bb shell a 113mm spindle width should be perfect. Since you're trying to keep the budget down the Truvativ Stylo SS GXP is what I would use (Since you're a tall guy 180 would be good but 175 will hit less rocks, the BB is low on the Zions). Not exactly light, but should be reasonably stiff and only ~ $30 more than your budget (of course this includes the BB so should be spot on). Good luck, enjoy the ride, I built a geared version for a chum, good bike for the $ IMO.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Since you're going with a SS set up chainline is going to be paramount. Wider is not better. With a 68mm bb shell a 113mm spindle width should be perfect. Since you're trying to keep the budget down the Truvativ Stylo SS GXP is what I would use (Since you're a tall guy 180 would be good but 175 will hit less rocks, the BB is low on the Zions). Not exactly light, but should be reasonably stiff and only ~ $30 more than your budget (of course this includes the BB so should be spot on). Good luck, enjoy the ride, I built a geared version for a chum, good bike for the $ IMO.
    Ohh Ok, but another question can I buy say, a 3 chainring crank and just detach the other 3? for Single speed use?? or do i actually have to buy a singlse speed crank?

I got nothin'
    You can use a triple chain ring set. Remove the small and larger chain rings. The chain ring bolts are too long for just one chain ring so stop by your local bike shop a get a set of BMX chain ring bolts.

Crank and bottom bracket brand is a matter of opinion. Whatever you buy just make sure they match. I used first generation LX hollowtech that I got from Nashber on sale for $75. The bottom bracket was another $30 or so. Look around for something on sale.

Check out the Zion forum in the Manufacturers section. Your questions are also answered there.

I bought a Zion last month and it is a really fun ride. Good geometry, handles well, quick, and a good ride. Have fun.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by StrontiumEthics
    In terms of cranks for a Single speed, what are some good options and what sizing is best/applicable for the Zion frame? What size Bottom Bracket does the Zion frame require?
    I went with the 68x113 square taper Shimano with 175mm White Industries Eno cranks. I have no problems with crankarm clearance or anything like that.
    ~note to self: insert witty/historical/religious quote or hilarious pop culture reference here~

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    the reason the truvative stylo 1.1 is a good general recommendation is that a) it's easily available, new, for about $100. I paid 99 for mine on-line. just recently I got a price-match from universal cycles for $109 approx.

b) the chainline and frame clearance works well w / the zion frame.

c) the stylo is available in 180 mm length, which most tallish riders will prefer for SS.

d) it comes with a single speed chainring (no ramps). remember, if you buy a used XT or LX crankset, you'll spend 20-30 bucks on a SS chainring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    as a fairly satisfied zion 26er ebb owner, i can add some other tips --

- the rear tire clearance is not very big. the maxxis ignitor 2.35 (which is quite narrow compared to other brands, but does have decent knobs and hooks up well) fits. if you notice paint wear on the chainstay, put on a hose clamp from a hardware store - problem solved (you may need to replace the clamp every year or so). or you can run a less knobby tire, like the maxxis crossmark UST, and have no clearance issues.

- replace the EBB bolts with allen-head set screws that are available at pretty much any hardware store. i.e .the ones where the allen recess is actually 'in' the bolt, so there's no head.

- do not overtighten the EBB bolts. there's no need to do so, and you risk cracking the welds on the sleeves. just use a small multitool and tighten firmly. the EBB won't slip.

- if you can be bothered, take out the EBB and using a drill press, drill holes on both sides to lighten it up. mine lost 30 g this way and it looks cool. don't drill the holes all the way through.

- get a shop to face the head tube before installing the headset, or have them install it.

- spray some frame saver rust preventer in before buildign it up.

- as i recall, the 21 inch frame had a whacko head tube length -- super long -- so consider flat bars to keep things to a reasonable height.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider

- the rear tire clearance is not very big. the maxxis ignitor 2.35 (which is quite narrow compared to other brands, but does have decent knobs and hooks up well) fits. if you notice paint wear on the chainstay, put on a hose clamp from a hardware store - problem solved (you may need to replace the clamp every year or so). or you can run a less knobby tire, like the maxxis crossmark UST, and have no clearance issues.

- replace the EBB bolts with allen-head set screws that are available at pretty much any hardware store. i.e .the ones where the allen recess is actually 'in' the bolt, so there's no head.

- do not overtighten the EBB bolts. there's no need to do so, and you risk cracking the welds on the sleeves. just use a small multitool and tighten firmly. the EBB won't slip.

- if you can be bothered, take out the EBB and using a drill press, drill holes on both sides to lighten it up. mine lost 30 g this way and it looks cool. don't drill the holes all the way through.

- get a shop to face the head tube before installing the headset, or have them install it.

- as i recall, the 21 inch frame had a whacko head tube length -- super long -- so consider flat bars to keep things to a reasonable height.
    Oh ok thanks for the tip about the 21 inch frame, and rust thingy. I will surly look out for that. However, I was quiet confused about the "EBB" what is that? remember Im a noob sorry . Also would you recommend any cheap crank sets? lets say $100 im kinda short on cash. Thanks
    Strontium E.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    EBB stands for 'eccentric bottom bracket'. It's a sleeve that fits in the frame, and rotates, and is fixed with the two set screws referred to. It's how you tension the chain, with this frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    strontium, if you read my post again you'll see that the truvativs go for about $100 if you shop around.

however when you install them, have someone who knows bikes do it (shop, experienced friend). with the truvativ it's very important to properly seat the end cap bolt and get the right torque. otherwise problems will result....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider

Im confused on what you said "get a shop to face the head tube before installing the headset" what exactly does that mean??, and also I think I will stick with a rigid fork. Can you recommend some for me? I mostly do street riding so no need for top-of-the-line suspension forks. I've been looking at some and dont know if they are compatible. Not sure whats axle to crown length, and fork rake. Thanks. BTW I was looking at these.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...22&category=85
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...80&category=85

Strontium E.