Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sufferer of a.d.d.

just how steep are the hills in your riding area?

i just bought a ss (bianchi diss) which i'm waiting to arrive. i live in los angeles which means that the mountain biking for the most part is in the santa monica mountains and is mostly pretty damn steep in places. i rode my geared bike around town for about 15 miles a few weeks ago and barely broke a sweat. i bought my ss with the idea that i can get good excercise city riding. but perhaps as my stamina and strength increase so will the grades of my inclines and my willingness to tackle some of the local dirt. what kind of inclines are you climbing on your single speeds. any west los angeles single speeders here?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Streets suck

Quote Originally Posted by warmseth
    i just bought a ss (bianchi diss) which i'm waiting to arrive. i live in los angeles which means that the mountain biking for the most part is in the santa monica mountains and is mostly pretty damn steep in places. i rode my geared bike around town for about 15 miles a few weeks ago and barely broke a sweat. i bought my ss with the idea that i can get good excercise city riding. but perhaps as my stamina and strength increase so will the grades of my inclines and my willingness to tackle some of the local dirt. what kind of inclines are you climbing on your single speeds. any west los angeles single speeders here?
    I don't live in LA. but in PHX. My only complaint with SS is the ride on the street(2 miles to the trailhead) I run out of gears! Once on the dirt all is well and I have made up creative ways to get there, like through washes. You will be a stonger rider, but embrace the suffering. I leave the street riding to my Giant TCR.

Medium?

I rode SS in the SM Mtns a bunch

I never found anything that I couldn't climb in 34:19. Some trails were tough though. Most of it is just right; hard but makable. I rode at Cheseboro, Sycamore Canyon (Guadalasco, yum), Malibu Creek SP, and Rocky Peak. Chumash (Simi Valley/Rocky Peak) was the hardest, and I'll admit to walking a bunch of it the first time I was there (100f and we had already been to the top once), and less of it the second time when I was fresh and it was evening.

Terminaut and his whacky buddies ride up Mt. Wilson, but I saw the profile, and I don't think I'd try it SS. Maybe by myself when I had plenty of time to walk and rest.

We also came down RedBox Canyon, and I think most of that would be climbable, but we shuttled it, so I'm not sure.

Cyclist

A great quote from Shiggy

I saved this quote from Master Shiggy:

"Do not be afraid to..."
    Lower the gearing. 2:1 is "standard" but in the real dirt world lower is better for most people and places.
    Walk. You are not that much slower pushing than gearies riding on many hills. Run for a while and push for a while. You do not need to try to ride the whole thing yet.
    Coast. Rest when you can. When you are moving too fast to pedal effienctly save your energy and coast.
    Attack. Do not ride like a gearie approaching climbs. speed up before you reach the base of slopes. If you ride like you can shift down for the climb you work harder.
    Use "only have one gear" as an excuse for everything. Good and bad.
    Not take the ride too seriously. The goal is to have fun. Do not worry about how fast you are riding or whether you could make the climb or not.
    -Shiggy

I ride a small gear, 32x20 and definitely pay the price on the flats but it allows me to climb 95% of the hills in my area without walking and I'm still faster on single track than my geared friends. I'm always yelling wait up on the fire roads but I'm waiting for them on the single track. - Tim

My best advice is to experiment and find what works for you.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

USB Rep'n
    Im in N. Ohio but do a fair bit of riding in W. Va and Penn. where the climbs anca get a bit longer. Here, the climbs are short but very steep so it makes for more of the Shiggy attack style of riding them. Still, I ride a 32x17 and find that I rarely have to walk anything. It definitely hurts sometime (and hurts bad) but hey, it's all part of what makes it what it is.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

King Pin

Steeps.

One of my personal favs is Mt. Elden area in Flagstaff AZ.

Start is ~7700ft. to the mid 10000.ft level at the lookout.....~5 miles.
    Can be a lung burner, but totally doable 32/19 (for me...)

I've done Mt. Wilson several times, thinking Wilson is more gradual than
    Elden, but could be wrong. It's been a few years!

hispanic mechanic

pretty steep down in sandy eggo...

i assume about the same as el lay, but i'm not sure. i ride everything off-road on my singlespeed (51.1" gear) 'cause that's the only mountain bike i have. i have enough fun on one gear that i would rather spend my meager bike shop earnings on other extravagant hobbies (i.e. rent, food, etc.,) than a geared bike.
    and yeah, shiggy's advice is right on the money!

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

theHeadlessThompsonGunner

Steep.

I can ride most everything on the Front Range (CO--steeper than SoCal) with a 32 x 19. In fact, I never change my gear when I know I'll be riding something steeper; I either push harder or walk, and it works OK.

That said, pushing 2.5" tires around town can be damn hard, or at least discouraging. I have a road bike SS that would be much better to commute on, but the gear (42 x 16) is so damn big that when the wind blows really hard, there's stuff on my route that I can't get up while wearing a loaded pack. So I commute on my mtb all the time, and have lots up urban fun in between. Commuting by SS is easily viewed as less efficient than by geared bike, but I think I'm stronger because of it.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

hispanic mechanic

steeper?!?

Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    I can ride most everything on the Front Range (CO--steeper than SoCal) with a 32 x 19. In fact, I never change my gear when I know I'll be riding something steeper; I either push harder or walk, and it works OK.

That said, pushing 2.5" tires around town can be damn hard, or at least discouraging. I have a road bike SS that would be much better to commute on, but the gear (42 x 16) is so damn big that when the wind blows really hard, there's stuff on my route that I can't get up while wearing a loaded pack. So I commute on my mtb all the time, and have lots up urban fun in between. Commuting by SS is easily viewed as less efficient than by geared bike, but I think I'm stronger because of it.
    did you find the front range steeper?
    i actually found the hills much steeper, albeit shorter, here in sandy eggo.
    in denver/boulder/ ft. collins, i was riding a 34:17, and found myself begging for the 18t.
    i dunno... just me?

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Ditto...

Like anything else, you get used to it. You'll get especially good at long out-of-the-saddle climbs. My legs used to be cooked after like 20 seconds out-of-the-saddle on my geared. Now I can at least just grind it out for a while. There are a number of SSers here in Front Range CO. Plus Utah, PNW, CA, steep east coast. So anything is do-able. You might want to pick up a bigger freewheel for early on - 19 or even 20. And just be prepared to walk. Keep at it and you'll be amazed how quick you can ride sections that you walked the previous time out. And the best part - well, two - 1) silence and 2) almost no maintenance. (Then again, I'm about to post a ? on a rough sounding freewheel!) Have fun. S

Jed Peters
    Depends where I go ride.

They can be steep. Roger from this board just did a ride in our local riding area at 35 miles/6900' of climbing. That's steep.

I run 36:19 and will run 36:20 when I go up to the sierra or the cnd rockies.

Your bike sucks

I'm 100% sure there are steep rides in CA

Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    Depends where I go ride.

They can be steep. Roger from this board just did a ride in our local riding area at 35 miles/6900' of climbing. That's steep.

But I don't believe any elevation gain/loss that is reported from a cyclometer or watch or HR monitor/combo. They are supa-inaccurate. I guess it's a pet-peeve but I hate it when people use a cyclometer to qualify their gain/loss - in my experience they consistently report 30% over the actual.

Medium?
    Big stiff bars and a stiff fork make a lot of difference for climbing as well. I ride 28" DH bars and a rigid fork. The rigid fork isn't as important as the bars, but you probably don't want to ride a noodly SID or something like that either. Most agree that Fox is the the most rigid sussie fork.

And riding style makes a lot of difference too. You can only get so far mashing like on a bmx bike. To climb long steeps, you need to be able to pull as much as push. Pedaling in circles under power takes a lot of practice. I've been practicing for a couple years and I'm ok at it, but not great.

Retro Grouch

Cool-blue Rhythm The ups and downs in Santa Cruz..

Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    Depends where I go ride.

There are lots of long hills in Santa Cruz that are pretty much doable with a 2:1or a little less; I ride a 34:18. There are of course some harder sections but with a little perseverance you can get to the top. What I find is if I plan to do a longer ride, say two or three loops at Demo forest, I'll use a 20 cog so I don't wear myself out. That being said the real hills around here are the road rides, i.e. Alba Rd, Jameison Creek Rd and Mt Madonna can average 12-15 percent grades and are hell on a SS rode bike.

1G1G, Brad

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

32:18 is pretty common in SoCal.

it's the perfect gear for rides like the San Juan Trail. It's a little steep for some things, a little easy for others. give it a go and then season to taste.
    [size=1][/size]

cut like the fog.

depends on your latitude and altitude.

I've ridden SS in NorCal, SoCal, Arizona, and a few other locals. I now live in the Canadian Rockies. By far the toughest climbs are here. Reasons include altitude thus less O2, rougher trails going up and down, I found the US places in general much smoother. Lastly length: there's no/very, very few easy short climbs up here, we have had to climb up the side of a damn mountain to go down the other way.

I ran 34:18 or 34:17 through the US places but have run 32:18 and 34:19 up here.

Cheers,
    b.
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE]

JAK
    mtbr member

Don't Die Wondering!

As mentioned above RE: Shiggy advice, attacking the steeps is what carrying momentum upwards is all about. When the trail gets techy, its about bursting with correct body position...ie. pedal kicking and following through with glide...kinda like falling forward. Some people think an SS can't do it all, well it(with you) can do more than one would 'think'. I think a 'primary beauty' of the SS are PersonalRecords. I dig wondering if I can, then knowing through experience that I either can now, or set it as a goal for the future. I learn on EVERY ride. It is dependant on your fitness as well as finesse. Sometimes you are in trials mode, spin mode, mosh mode, etc. etc. I use a 32X20/34X20 in the mountains of the N.Rockies. I kinda like gearing just above my ability...keeps it interesting.

dig it!
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm LA area, too.

I'm in the LA area as well, but more EAST (Fontana). I started SSing last October and ride 34x16. There aren't many hills that I can't make, but of course some are more difficult than others.

I've riden Chino Hills, Skyline in Corona (8-9% 4.5 mile climb), Bonelli, Cuyamoca (San Diego), and Sycamore Canyon (Riverside) on the SS. I'm looking forward to doing the Santa Ana river tail, Rim Nordic and Big Bear once the snow clears. It isn't the long 8-9% long climbs that get me, but the short and steeps where you're almost doing a track stand on the pedals and you STILL can't move the bike forward.

No relation

Just right.

I usually start out in the spring with the 34:20, and then switch to a 34:18 when I feel my legs getting stronger (depends how much of a slug I was in the snowier months).

I'm thinking of going to 36:19 because it seems cooler somehow.

I'm in the front range of Colorado, and like rides that go up and down.

Recently I was riding in Florida, and it struck me, oddly enough, that riding somewhere flatter was actually less enjoyable for me (personally) than somewhere with big hills.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

banned

Just be thankful...

...THIS isn't your riding area.

http://home.earthlink.net/~waltmeier/nz/nz7.html

ECB

34N 118W

LA SSer

I've been running 32:18 in the Santa Monicas and can git 'er done pretty well with that gearing. Sullivan, The Hub, Caballero, Westridge, etc. I use 32:20 for areas of SoCal with more sustained/steeper climbs. If that don't cut it, I get off and walk. The new bike will be 36:21 for now.

Shawn at Helen's on Broadway is also a good source of things singlespeed.

If you want to meet up for a ride when you get your rig, holla.

Jeff

mtbr member

... and if we just ... short and steep

here the hills are short and steep. All terrain in WI varies, but where I live you got some monster little knee breaker hills. Not like out West of course. Some of the hills here are long enough to make gearies complain.

SS Chimp

Colorado Springs - Front Range CO

46 gear/inches (32x18) runs quite well around here as an all-purpose gear. 2000 - 2500 ft of climbing in the average 1 - 1.5 hour ride with most of the climbing at the start...not a lot of ups and downs just lots of up and then lots of down. tend to gear so i can actually ride the trails and not walk unless the occasional gravel hill is encountered. if it was more rolling i would gear a bit taller but the climbs are fairly continuous...maybe come summer i will drop to a 17t but that remains to be seen

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega
    But I don't believe any elevation gain/loss that is reported from a cyclometer or watch or HR monitor/combo. They are supa-inaccurate. I guess it's a pet-peeve but I hate it when people use a cyclometer to qualify their gain/loss - in my experience they consistently report 30% over the actual.
    I find bike computer altimeters to record 10-15% less climbing than a GPS or "TOPO" computer mapping software. Tried it with 2-3 different brands of bike computers and several different GPS models and brands.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

SS Chimp
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega
    i am with shiggy on this one...got a couple polars in the family and unless there is a big front moving through while i am riding, the elevation gain is just about spot-on when matched up to known elevation points over a continous climbing grade. the accuracy starts to suffer a bit when riding rolling terrain in relation to sample rate/elevation increments the polar records but even then it is only 200 - 300 hundred feet off. now my friends P-Brain cyclocomputer is another matter...sometimes reporting double the elevation gain as my polar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast