mtbr member

Just got a new 2010 Rig and...

...this new white color is fairly ugly. I hope it looks better after I've put it together.

Ugh. Big time buyer's remorse...there were still Root Beer's available. It looks sort of nice on the website...I thought.

It should still be a pretty decent upgrade over my 1995 GT Zaskar with the super duper Manitou 4!

I'll post a pic later after I build her. I'm opening a Bell's Pale Ale and it's off to the garage.

mtbr member
    Get some mud and dirt on there and you'll be all set.
    :wq

Apr 2007
    I think the best color was that creme color with the tan trim. The new white looks good, too, though. Definitely post some pics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Take some pics! I just picked up a 2010 X-Cal which is almost the same bike with gears. It was quite an upgrade over my Trek 3700!

mtbr member
    Okay...just have to clip and secure some cables and adjust the annoying BB7's...can't seem to get them to rotate smoothly without dragging the rotors. I can't believe how big this thing looks compared to my old mountain bike and my road bike...crazy.

I'm working on the pics now...

mtbr member

pics

I took some shots to show how this thing towers over my old sled...makes it look like a BMX bike. Even my road bike looks small by comparison.

I'll mess with the brakes more in the morning and then it's off to the singletrack for a good test ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

nothing to see here
    loosen the mounting bolts on the calipers so that they can shift about, then squeeze the brake lever a couple of times, adjust the inner pad dial to where the pad's nearly touching the rotor and then, whilst holding the brake lever in, tighten the bolts. Or something like that. Worked for me.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    I have to add that the bar, stem, seatpost and seatpost clamp all feel like bargain bin parts. But what would life be without upgrades? The white rims are a bit much but the whole color scheme is growing on me. It's like a big white beach cruiser.

This should be such a big upgrade on the trails. I can't wait to get out there!

mtbr member
    I dunno...I'm liking the all white! Anyway, how much do you really look at the color when cruising down the trail?

As for the brakes, Stevob's advice is a good start. I ahve also found that Avid mechanicals work better if the cables are adjusted so that the lever on the caliper does not return completely back open when the brakes are released. Does that make sense? I.E. tension the cable so the lever is about 1/4" off of its stop.

mtbr member
    Thanks Stevo...I was just on Avid's website and was reading about the inner knob adjustment. That's what I didn't do before. I'll try it in the morning with a cup of coffee.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Polk...I'll try that too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    I'll try that, Scooter. I've seen a couple Avid set up videos and I followed them exactly. I just can't seem to adjust out that slight drag.

I've been building bikes for over 15 years but this is my first experience with discs - as evidenced by my old mountain bike with cantilevers.

mtbr member
    That did the trick, Scooter. Thank you. The bronze thingie attached to the pad seems to be rubbing under hard braking on the outboard size. I'll try to recenter it again but that tutorial is definitely spot-on.

Thanks again..

mtbr member
    Looks a lot better than my Fisher, don't know what you're talking about...wanna trade?

mtbr member
    What chain is on the RIG? I notice it is a flat uniform silver color and looks really good on a SS. I saw it on a '09 RIG but it looks like the same chain as in the picture.

mtbr member
    It's a KMC Z.

mtbr member

First ride...

Fast, fast, fast...I'm amazed at the improvements over my old bike. The combination of bigger wheels and a real (compared to my old Manitou 4) fork make this thing just fly through sections that made me skittish on my old ride. It was as if I almost didn't need to even worry about off-camber roots and rocky sections - just ride right through. The traction in fast sweepers was so much better on the Rig. I just motored through turns that I used to brake into on my old bike. Short steep descents - no problem, either. The big wheels just inspire confidence.

The SS was liberating. I had been practicing on my geared bike by trying to stay in a 32/18 and 32/21 but it was nothing like the real thing. There's nothing to think about except riding. I found myself looking much further down the trail too...not having to worry about smaller obstacles.

The Rig climbs so much better, too. It felt "hooked up" all the time while climbing. I am going to switch to a 20t cog on the back. I think it will be better suited for the western PA hills where I ride. I only had to push on 2 small but steep climbs today - a lot less than I thought.

I was wondering if I had done the right thing in buying a SS 29er. Now, I see what all the fuss is about. I expected a noticeable improvement, but it's a HUGE improvement over my old bike. 4 or 5 pedal strokes and this thing is flying...

Thanks to everyone for the brake setup info. They're working fine and, even though they're not bedded in yet, they're so much more powerful than the cantilevers I'm used to riding. I nearly airmailed it on my first steep descent.

I can't wait until tomorrow so I can do it all over again.

Members who have read this thread: 0