Faster Than Your TV!

New question here. Just cuz I'm happy with it...

and cuz this board is just waaaay too fast in loading: more pics of my Cross Check fixie, with a new stem that should put the bars back far enough to make them useful. First ride with the new stem is tonight. This thing is a real pleasure to ride, even in the cold temps.

I've included a closeup of the noodle hanger, which really did the trick for setting up the brakes. Thanks again to those who posted.

Okay, with the new board, how do you include multiple pix with captions? Copy the upload link and do it the old way in HTML (e.g., using img src="crosscheck.jpg")? Doesn't seem like that would work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

Suffering Mightily
    That is a great looking rig (I have a similar setup but have not had the nerve to try fixed riding yet). What hubs are you using? I have a Surly 1X1 hub and I am toying with the idea of setting it up fixed/free.
    Cheers,
    Drbbt

Faster Than Your TV!

The hub now on the bike is a...

Quote Originally Posted by Drbbt
    That is a great looking rig (I have a similar setup but have not had the nerve to try fixed riding yet). What hubs are you using? I have a Surly 1X1 hub and I am toying with the idea of setting it up fixed/free.
    Cheers,
    Drbbt
    Surly NEW hub. It's not a fixed or fixed/free hub, it's strictly a flip-flop free/free hub that I threw a track cog on real tight and then screwed a BB lock ring over it, both generously dabbed with blue loctite. I backpedal to brake in addition or in place of the front brake most of the time and haven't had a problem with the cog unscrewing.

However, I just got a cheap Suzue track hub (standard, basic, proletariot, working-class, whatever you want to call the affordable model) and a rim is on the way, so I plan on building and using a legit track wheel shortly.

Go fixed and give it a few rides...you'll find that you love it. I'd recommend the Surly fixed/free hub if you have the jack...best of both worlds and that way you'll have an option if, by some netherworldly influence, you don't think that fixed is the proverbial cat's ass and the dog's bollocks. Or just do what I did with the Surly you have to see if you like it first; apparently, a lot of folks have done this with good results.

Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

34N 118W

nice bike, and

the old way works. Just use Upload Images at the top instead of Manage Attachments below. But you won't get the camera icon this way.

Quote Originally Posted by iconoclaSSt
    Okay, with the new board, how do you include multiple pix with captions? Copy the upload link and do it the old way in HTML (e.g., using img src="crosscheck.jpg")? Doesn't seem like that would work.

Faster Than Your TV!

Cool, thanks Hollywood. nm

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    the old way works. Just use Upload Images at the top instead of Manage Attachments below. But you won't get the camera icon this way.
    never manic

Wrench In the Gears

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nice ride brah!

Too bad some of the photos are blurry

Faster Than Your TV!

Just had to say it, didn't ya? nm

Quote Originally Posted by mugg
    Too bad some of the photos are blurry
    never motionless

Wrench In the Gears

mtbr member

FunFixieofFroad

Quote Originally Posted by iconoclaSSt
    However, I just got a cheap Suzue track hub (standard, basic, proletariot, working-class, whatever you want to call the affordable model) and a rim is on the way, so I plan on building and using a legit track wheel shortly.
    I have a cross check set up similarly. I'm currently running that Suze on the rear. Even though the axel is just long enough you'll have to play with the spacing and dish to get it to work with the wide surly rearend.

My hub was originally setup for 120 spacing and I made it work with the 132.5 crosscheck. I added a bunch of spacers (more to the free side) and re-dished so that the fixed lines up with the outer ring on my crank and the free lines up with the inner ring. Crank is a double sugino 75. I could run it with two chainrings for an even wider gear spread but I have it set up as my trail & town fixie and then flip it to freewheel mode for cross season.

As an alternative to mustache bars I found I really like my current setup which is old north-road 3 speed bars flipped upside down. I'm using some old diacomp mountain levers. It's a nice feeling setup for offroad and pavement alike.

Enjoy your ride and your new wheel.

Faster Than Your TV!

Thanks. I've got a 130mm axle to put in the Suzue...

which should work well with the CC. But I imagine it will require some heavy dishing for a decent chainline. We'll see.

Thanks. Nice ride ya got there, BTW.

Wrench In the Gears

mtbr member
    Really Nice. Im looking to get some bars like that for my Fixed gear. Anyone know where I can pick some up?

Faster Than Your TV!

Here ya go, AB...

Quote Originally Posted by airbag
    Really Nice. Im looking to get some bars like that for my Fixed gear. Anyone know where I can pick some up?
    Take yer pic.

The 25.4 clamp size, believe it or not, is the MTB size...the LARGER clamp size, 26, is the road size. Go figure.

http://store.yahoo.com/momovelo/nimubar.html

http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemde...416&Catalog=39

Rivendell has 'em, but only in road clamp size.

Search on Nitto Moustache Bar. Also, here's a link on setting 'em up:

http://www.stanford.edu/~dru/moustache.html

Good luck.

Wrench In the Gears