mtbr member
    Jul 2009

... and if we just ... Just bought my first oldie/commuter. SS !

Woo Hoo!

Sooo...

I've been getting the classic/vintage bug lately. Being from NYC does not help either as I constantly am surrounded by very nice gems that people collect/ride around here.

Before getting this bug, I was thinking of converting my 07 Specialized Hard Rock Disc Pro to SS, rigid fork, and using it for a nice commuter into the city to work (currently running Michelin slicks)....then the bug hit. Being on these classic/vintage boards do not help either.

My father has had a early 80's Peugeot Monaco hanging in the garage for years. Never really rode much. I took it out last week and started cleaning it up. Low end components, nothing special. Perfect for a commuter ! I took apart the rims and started polishing them up again, etc. I then started snooping around on what could be done to this bike. I wanted to do SS, flat bar, etc but I think it was more trouble than it was worth according to Sheldon Brown's site about compatibility issues with older french bikes/newer components.

I started shopping around on Craigslist for oldies but goodies, and stumbled across this old Univega. Clean as hell in my eyes, and already had the stuff done to it that I was going to do regardless (except i'm going to be putting on a rear brake for safe measures).

serial # is PG69859

http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/bik/1294624250.html

$225 shipped from Cali to my door in NYC.

So what do you folks think ?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    i wish i had some dropouts like that, if i had that all i would need is a WI freewheel to scare the fixies
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    I really want a bike like that for around town

Ovaries on the Outside
    Posting in two different forums... hmmm...

As I said earlier, I like the bike, you just need to get something for the pedals that will help you power out the ride...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Posting in two different forums... hmmm...
    Yup. The bike is

A) A classic/vintage

and is also

B) Single Speed

Applies to more than one forum/different crowd of people.

Not too crazy about the straps. I

Cheezy Rider
    Nice, but I like the mid-80's Peugeot I recently SS'd better! Brown is right, though, once the chainring dies I'll have to buy new cranks, it's almost impossible to find rings that fit it. Hopefully the BB will last another 20 years!

I'd skip the back brake, I like the nekkid look, but then I'm a thrillseeker.