mtbr member
    Aug 2012

jumped on the SS bandwagon

Recently thought about buying a new bike to replace my Trek 820. While browsing around, SS bikes caught my attention and I've decided to rebuild the 820 as a SS. I plan on replacing mostly everything slowly and then eventually buy a new frame in the distant future...maybe.

I am definitely intrigued by riding an SS since I really dont change gears now and look forward to restoring this bike.

Just bought some new ESI Grips, a new chain and a new Giro Feature Helmet. I plan on getting the Forte chain conversion kit for now. After getting these items installed, platform pedals will be next on the list. The pedals that are on there now are completely horrendous.

mtbr member
    You're going to love it. I lost all desire to ride geared mountain bikes now, even though the SS still kicks my arse.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    You're going to love it. I lost all desire to ride geared mountain bikes now, even though the SS still kicks my arse.
    Same here. Though I will say I love my dedicated SS frame WAY more than I did my old frame with forte conversion kit.

Sent from a phone to the internet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudmunkie View Post
    Same here. Though I will say I love my dedicated SS frame WAY more than I did my old frame with forte conversion kit.

Sent from a phone to the internet.
    yeah I am pretty new to mountain biking. I rode as a kid but never anything too rough and never modified any bikes.

I figure I will use this as my test bike...as long as I love it and stay involved in riding, I will upgrade at a later time.

I am sure it will be a blast once I started the process. I am already really enjoying to ride and havent been on any mountain trails yet and parts of the bike I have really need replacing. The grips are too long for the handle bars, the pedals are dented, the chain is in pretty bad shape and being an 820, the fork isnt all that great. All these issues and I still cant wait to ride tomorrow morning.....

openwound
    There's a bandwagon..? Wait, what day is it..?
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    When I used to ride gears, I only had 3 gear settings. Lowest for up hill, highest for flat, and lowest front and rear for the rest. Naturally, SS was the way to go for me.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Your slowly drinking the KoolAide!
    The Forte conversion will get you going, but I would check out the DMR STS tensioner and a high quality rear cog at some point. Spring tensioners give up after a while (forte, surly,ect.)

The Forte flat pedals are actually pretty nice too, we put some on the wife's bike and I've been impressed with them!

I basically did the same thing you did with my old Trek 4300, replaced the crap fork with a Surly 1x1 ridged fork, conversion kit and went from there. I rode it for years, replaced parts along the way, and just this summer bought a Surly 1X1! I transferred all the parts to that frame...I also built a dedicated set of SS wheels!! See, it gets addicting!

Have fun!!jumped on the SS bandwagon-imageuploadedbytapatalk1345031609.100639.jpg
    ACCESS Stealth 3.0 carbon 29'er
    GT-R Pro
    Surly 1x1
    Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 4SEVEN3 View Post
    Your slowly drinking the KoolAide!
    The Forte conversion will get you going, but I would check out the DMR STS tensioner and a high quality rear cog at some point. Spring tensioners give up after a while (forte, surly,ect.)

The Forte flat pedals are actually pretty nice too, we put some on the wife's bike and I've been impressed with them!

I basically did the same thing you did with my old Trek 4300, replaced the crap fork with a Surly 1x1 ridged fork, conversion kit and went from there. I rode it for years, replaced parts along the way, and just this summer bought a Surly 1X1! I transferred all the parts to that frame...I also built a dedicated set of SS wheels!! See, it gets addicting!

Have fun!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345031609.100639.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	717178
    yep exactly what I plan on doing. Got the conversion for 22.50 yesterday so I figured it would be enough to get me started but wouldnt last forever.

Went out again this morning and am really looking forward to getting the conversion done. Each ride gets better and better.....understanding more about how the bike reacts. Prob with the trails by my house is there is a lot of kitty litter type dirt around and have been flung off a couple times.

Really looking forward to hitting the mountain trails. Supposed to be low 100s for the high this weekend so Sunday morning looks very promising.