mtbr member

Joined the cult, now I am scared

Converted my hardtail to a single speed over the weekend and rode it for the first time. This is bad. Very very very bad. I had sooooo much fun, I didn't want to get off! I say this is bad, because I am building a new AM bike that I spent 6-months buying parts for and now I have NO MOTIVATION to build it after this weekend.

I will be using this bike for 50% trail riding and 50% biking my dogs 2-10 miles every morning (missed 4 days in three years). I say biking them, but they pull me a lot (American Bulldog and Boxer), which is why you see "their" water bottle holder, dog pedals, and dog tires in the pics. I use clipless with the trails, Camelback, and better tires.

I am currently running 32:16 and cleared everything but two hills at the most aggressive place I will probably ride it at. I even cleared several spots that the geared folk were walking (feels too good). I just bought a nice new 34t Blackspire mono veloce chainring for the front (as the current one is pretty beat up) and need to figure out the rear gear. Would a 34:18 be similar to the 32:16? Still learning this gear ratio stuff and would like to gain just a hair of better climbing ability.

I know someone will say remove the bashguard, but there is a monster tree that I like to whip over while most people go around it and that thing helps be glide right across it. Also helps for pant leg when biking the dogs.

Only other change I need to make is to find a stem that has a very low profile for attaching to the fork. This fork is cut a little short (got it for next to nothing), and I'd like a different size stem but the steerer tube is short. Any ideas would be great.

mountainbikefaq.com - See my 2x10 to 1x10 conversion (lots of pics!)

mtbr member
    Looks good man... You will love it!

mtbr member
    34:17 is closer to 32:16, they're both 2:1 ratios. There's a good gear calculator on Sheldon Brown's website here - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

You think singlespeed is addicting? Wait till you catch 29er fever... you'll want to sell both your bikes!

meatier showers
    Speaking VERY roughly, 2 teeth on the ring makes a similar difference as 1 tooth on the cog. Except the opposite plus / minuswise. That is to say if you add 2 to the ring, you'd get roughly the same gear as if you subtracted 1 from the cog.

I haven't been drinking that much.

--sParty

P.S. Nice bike.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

EXORCIZE

short stack stems and headsets

Quote Originally Posted by ElbowScabs
    Only other change I need to make is to find a stem that has a very low profile for attaching to the fork. This fork is cut a little short (got it for next to nothing), and I'd like a different size stem but the steerer tube is short. Any ideas would be great.
    I have the same issue. I expect an FSA XC-150 (90X6, 25.4) to be delivered tomorrow. Its stack height is 35mm (5mm shorter than most anything else out there). FSA's OS-99 and OS-115 are upscale stems for 31.8 and are also 35mm. They make some other models, too, but I don't about them.

It looks like you've already got a Cane Creek headset, which are pretty short. If not, a Cane Creek S3 would probably help. Or pony up for a super low-stack Crank Brother$ headset.
    ride natty ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I haven't been drinking that much.

--sParty
    i thought you were sick, why are you drinking dummy?
    no chain no gain.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel
    i thought you were sick, why are you drinking dummy?
    Nyquil... once I get started...

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1
    I have the same issue. I expect an FSA XC-150 (90X6, 25.4) to be delivered tomorrow. Its stack height is 35mm (5mm shorter than most anything else out there). FSA's OS-99 and OS-115 are upscale stems for 31.8 and are also 35mm. They make some other models, too, but I don't about them.

It looks like you've already got a Cane Creek headset, which are pretty short. If not, a Cane Creek S3 would probably help. Or pony up for a super low-stack Crank Brother$ headset.
    After posting this I found a thread talking about FSA's 35 mm stack height, and measured that I currently had 40 mm, so I placed an order for FSA OS-150 that I found on BlueSky for $25.

Yea, I have a Cane Creek S8 right now . . . hopefully this 5 mm I gain is enough, but if not, headset next. Thx.
    mountainbikefaq.com - See my 2x10 to 1x10 conversion (lots of pics!)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Whoa. I have the same Fisher Marlin Disc. Only mine has teh gears.

Interesting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Dude, I'm on the verge of converting my hardtail to SS, and I really hope I don't end up with disliking my AM bike syndrome. now ur scaring me...

oh well, I'm still gona do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatefreerider
    Dude, I'm on the verge of converting my hardtail to SS, and I really hope I don't end up with disliking my AM bike syndrome. now ur scaring me...

oh well, I'm still gona do it.
    Beware...

Your ss may become your all mountain bike (as it should be). SS may spread to other areas of your life. My DH bike became a singlespeed one day and it hasn't gone back...

You've been warned...
    "What do I know of You who spoke me into motion? Where have I even stood but along the shore of Your ocean?"

mtbr member
    Check out the gear ratio chart on this site. It factors in the wheel size. Its great for seeing the difference in gearing for a 26 compared to 29. Also you'll see some beautiful cogs and rings that you will probably want and eventually spend a lot of money on. (if you're like me)

http://www.singleandfixed.com/shop/page/1?shop_param=
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    There are places for your AM bikes! After 4 months of 100% ss, I took my slayer our for a ride this evening - oh what a fun just pointing downhill! While SS Zaskar is nimble and work my ego, going down rough stuff on this classic beauty is simply slow at best. Sure it's my (lack of) skills, but 5 inch travel is just so much forgiving and just, "forget it and let go". It's a different kind of fun. I'll stick to my zaskar on my training ride, but Slayer comes out when I'm having fun. Sometimes, you just have to shift the gear. So don't stop striving for a blinger - you'll want that sometime. They are both purposely built, and they both have their places.

mtbr member
    It's a sickness. I'm contacting the CDC. I've got a $2000 FS Stumpjumper, and all I want to ride anymore is my FS 29er SS $350 Motobecane Outcast. I finally made myself ride the Stumpjumper the other day, and it felt like I was riding a boingo ball connected to a rollerskate via a unicycle. I finished the ride swearing that I was going to sell that over-engineered POS and trick out my cheapy rigid ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    1.)Try 32/18 to start with, go up from there. I run 34/19 or 34/21, depending on the terrain.
    2.)Your old style Surly Singleator will do you better if you change the spring and configuration to pushing up, rather than down. Think it's a $4.00 part.
    3.)Sux when the steerer tube's cut off too short. Your only option is a riser stem and/or a bar with more rise. Had to play with mine; ended up with an Easton EA50 DH bar with 50mm rise, and an EA30 stem, 6 degree rise. Feels right, finally. Actually could use the bars about 1" higher, but when I convert it to a 96'er, that'll do that...
    4)Nice bike! We've got a lot of the same parts, only mine's a rigid.
    5.)Variety's the spice....instead of an AM bike, now you need a 29er, 1x8 or SS, rigid
    6.)Need pics of the dogs, pulling you.