mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! jobberwocky vs. dambala vs. dissent

I have just decided to get into the 29er single speed realm and need your input on what frame I should get and why? My initial choice is the Jobberwocky but I still need some feedback on the other two frames. Help!!

HTFU and Ride
    have heard good things bout the jabber

personally i love my dambala, upgrading fork and wheels this year...cant wait!

i would go steel over Al, but i was reeeallly close to ordering a dissent last winter when i got my dambala.
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    You can't go wrong with any of those choices, I have a DiSSent, and quite frankly its a race bike, fast, fast, fast. Low center of gravity, corners like it's on rails, and climbs like a mountain goat. If you are looking for a trail rig maybe not so great. Honestly, you can't beat the price and hell it's from up North(Canada) so we have to help pay for their health care(just joking). My vote is for the DiSSent, again fast, light and climbs like hell, plus the owner of the company is an active member of MTBR, what more could you ask for.
    Last edited by ne_dan; 03-04-2009 at 07:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

... and if we just ...

Thanks Guys! I guess I'll have to start with one of these and eventually go down the line.....hmmm which one first?

Single Speeder
    If you plan to go rigid I think the jabber could have a slight edge because of the widely loved ODIS fork... but I was also close to ordering the dissent several times

I'm guessing if you run a suspension fork the Dissent climbs to the top of the list...

Would be nice to ride/own all three... another one thats steel is the Origin 8 Scout... looks a little like a dissent and apparently the newer ones will fit a larger back tire 2.3ish I think and pretty short chain stays about the same price as the others I think

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

... and if we just ...

I have read all the reviews on these three frames and they are all exceptional. I'm still leaning towards full rigid and steel..so I think the Jabber wins. I'll have to test ride one from my LBS soon! I haven't heard of the Origin8 Scout until now so I'll have to do some research on that. Thanks everybody!

mtbr member
    Don't forget the On One Inbred either

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I love my Jabberwocky.
    Looked at an On One too....it's still on my short list for the next one.

Waiting for Godot
    the jabber seems to be easier on rougher trails and using a carbon fork to me. the geometry makes sense when you compare those frames.

as well the 16" fit me better because the longer TT made me happier.
    get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/

mtbr member
    +1 for the carbon fork on the jabber. I love the combo. Never tried the ODIS but heard nothing but good things.

The Unbeliever
    +743 for the Jabber. I have essentially the same setup as 7daysaweek and love it.
    On the one hand it's who you know, and over here you got favoritism - H.I. McDonough

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've found the Inbred climbs better than the Jabber - more traction/less spin when cranking out of the saddle ss

Frt Range, CO
    The frames are all very close. For 18" Jabber and 19" Dambala and diSSent:
    Chainstay length 17.9" on all three
    ETT length is 24.2", 24.0 and 24.1
    wheelbase 43.6 on all three
    seat post 27.2 on all three
    468~470 crown to axle

Differences between 18" Jabber and 19" Dambala and diSSent:
    - seat tube angle is 73* on Jabber and diSSent, 74* on Dambala
    - Head Tube Angle is 71* on Jabber, 72* on the other two
    - BB drop is 60mm on Dambala, 68mm on Jabber and 70mm on diSSent
    - diSSent weighs 4.6lbs, Jabber is 4.9lbs, Dambala is 5.6lbs

I have a 19" diSSent hard tail and 20" Jabber rigid. Can't go wrong with either of those, don't know anything about the Dambala
    Last edited by pursuiter; 03-05-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Terror of Sidewalls
    Jul 2007
    I have a Jabber, the wife has a diSSent. I love my rigid Jabber, she loves her diSSent hardtail, I love her diSSent, she doesn't love my Jabber. I kept flip-flopping between a rigid (steel forked) Jabberwocky and a diSSent with a new reba. Finally went with the Jabber because I found a barely used one for a grand less than I could put together the same sweet build...otherwise I'd probably still be fip-flopping. She likes having the only bike in the house with skulls. She also likes (silently) calling BS on local 26er riders who claim to know what a Misfit is. People say that the diSSent with the Al fork really isn't the harsh ride you would expect from a full Al frameset. I couldn't tell ya.

Not really helpful, but all 3 frames are pretty sweet. If you go Dambala, I'd build it up yourself. Their complete build is cheap but pretty porky. I think the frame itself is also a little heavier than the other two.

stick
    I love my Jabber. His name is Hobbes, because he's orange and bouncy. And no, I don't [yet] own a Calvin.

mtbr member
    I love my Jabber - my buddy loves his VooDoo - I went with the Jabber because I knew I was going with discs and didn't like the posts on the seats stays if I wasn't going to use them.

Not to muddy the waters, but the other steel frame you should look at is the SOMA Juice

Suffering Mightily
    Just built a DiSSent and love it (with a Reba), but agree with others when it comes to riding rigid, steel is the way to go (also have a rigid Karate Monkey). BTW, I've never owned a Jabberwocky, but did have an ODIS (used to be called a "pitchfork") and it is very smooth. Happy hunting and when you build it...post 'em up.
    Drbbt
    Without freedom of choice, there is no creativity. Without creativity, there is no life. The body dies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

... and if we just ...

Thanks will post it up when done!

mtbr member
    I'll have to test ride one from my LBS soon!
    this will seal the deal. the jabber odis combo is hard to beat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Looking forward to it!