mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Jamis komodo single speed conversion

Hey, I did most of my research, and scanned the fourms/FAQ so forth to get a general idea of what I am doing, but I do have some questions.

I have an 07 komodo, an AM/FR bike. I was riding it lately since my parker is in the shop, and I noticed I was only using 2 gears most of the time, so I figured its time to drop the gears. (I also have the other bike with gears so no big deal)

I ordered a SS conversion kit, it as the spring loaded tensioner with it. Origin8 makes it I beleive, or rockwerks. (same tensioner though)

I can use my 9 speed chain right? Or should I go ahead and get a SS chain? Also, should I swap the front ring to a DH/SS type ring or is my pinned/ramped ring fine for a while? I looked and did not see anything (or I just didnt look in the right place) on what chain to use with the conversion kits.

Also, since I will be standing up pedaling up hills, should I upgrade to a heavier duty BB? Or should I just wait and kill the current?

Thanks! I am alittle anxious about this, since its going to be a totally new experience.

PSYCHOLUST
    Hey, always nice to see another convert.
    - Use the 9 speed chain you have ( assuming it isn't worn out)
    - Pull your right crank arm and remove your big ring and your granny gear.
    -Remove your cassette and install your COG and SPACERS so they are aligned with remaining front ring (if your kit comes with multiple cogs, use the 16T for now if your front ring is a 32T)
    - When installing the tensioner and chain, use as SHORT a chain as possible... you want the chain contacting as many of the cog teeth as possible ( chain wrap).
    -your current BB is fine ( again , assuming it isn't worn out)

If riding your new SS uphill causes you to pant/wheeze/feel light headed/hurt your legs/barf/cry/whimper/grunt or soil your pants.... that is good, keep riding and you will feel STRONGER by the day.

After 30 days of riding your SS, you will note that your legs no longer fit comfortably in your levis as they have become bulletproof tree trunks.

Place an ad on craigs list for all your geared bikes and the rings and deraileurs you took off the bike you are riding as you will have no use for any of it again.

Revel in the silent simplicity and beatiful wonder of your new favorite riding style

local trails rider
    A 9 speed chain works well, as long as your chainring or cog is not too wide.

I used a regular ramped chainring in front on my Scirocco, until it was worn out and needed to be replaced anyway. I think the Komodo is a stiff frame too, so lateral flex is not going to make chain retention difficult.

I think a spring loaded tensioner is not quite as reliable for keeping the chain on, as one that is fixed in position with a bolt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    oh ok cool, thanks for the replies. I noticed the DMR tensioner has a screw to achive fixed tension, but I was worried it that would make getting the rear wheel off difficult or not.

local trails rider
    I have a Rennen tensioner that works about the same as the DMR. I need to remove the bolt that fixes the tensioner for wheel removal, so that the tensioner stays with the wheel when I take it off.

My new bike works OK with "magic gear", but I am thinking of a BB mounted chain guide for tensioning anyway.