A Enigma wrapped in Bacon

Jamis Exile: First ride as SS

Interesting. My thumbs kept grabbing for the shifters. 32x17 seems a bit tall, I'm giving 32x21 a roll later today. It seemed more pure, more quiet and actually faster than riding geared. I may be sold.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    26 or 29 Exile?

Quote Originally Posted by djembe975
    26 or 29 Exile?
    Standard 26.
    Update: I rode Sunday with a 32-21 and it was much better. My thumbs relaxed, but my chainline was off a bit and I kept dropping the chain on the rear when I would dig really hard.
    Ramped cogs on the back prolly don't help, but until I can find the Goldilocks gear I'll keep swapping out old cogs from an old road cassette and use them.
    I seemed to ride faster on only one gear. Weird.

Apr 2007
    32-21 on a 26? You must ride some steep trails.

Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Plus I'm old and fat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I ride a 32x18 Jamis Komodo 26er and some trails of upstate NY i have to get off and run the bike up the hill to keep up with my geared buddies. Looks like im going to have to pick up some other Niner Cogalicious Cogs in different sizes untill i find one that suits my trail preference. The only thing that gets me is switching cogd for street rides, Im at 32x16 for those and Im only 22 and like to think im in immaculate shape.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by HOOKEM
    Standard 26.
    Update: I rode Sunday with a 32-21 and it was much better. My thumbs relaxed, but my chainline was off a bit and I kept dropping the chain on the rear when I would dig really hard.
    Ramped cogs on the back prolly don't help, but until I can find the Goldilocks gear I'll keep swapping out old cogs from an old road cassette and use them.
    I seemed to ride faster on only one gear. Weird.
    I really like Jamis Exiles. I hope you find the right ratio soon. Putting your nuts on a stem at the crucial moment of a climb because the chain drops is never much fun.

Also, old and slow beats not riding.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I really like Jamis Exiles. I hope you find the right ratio soon. Putting your nuts on a stem at the crucial moment of a climb because the chain drops is never much fun.

Also, old and slow beats not riding.

X2!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I think that there are probably loads of people who use ratios quite a lot lower than the "standard" 2:1. I mostly use 32:20 (26" wheel) and it works around here because I don't ride many flat trails - it's mostly steep, fairly technical climbing or descending because that's the sort of stuff I prefer.

Anyway, I'm an old man now and that's my excuse.....

More Thoughts

I'm not sure how I feel about all this. The reason I went SS with the Exile in the first place was that I stumbled onto a great deal on a FS frame from craigslist, and in building it up I scavenged the Shifters/FDR/RDR from the Exile which was running 2x9. With the Exile now in its native SS mode, I'm having second thoughts about the new build, because the Exile is proving to be a lot of fun and I'm not finished parting together the Iron Horse.

meatier showers

Have both

Quote Originally Posted by HOOKEM
    I'm not sure how I feel about all this. The reason I went SS with the Exile in the first place was that I stumbled onto a great deal on a FS frame from craigslist, and in building it up I scavenged the Shifters/FDR/RDR from the Exile which was running 2x9. With the Exile now in its native SS mode, I'm having second thoughts about the new build, because the Exile is proving to be a lot of fun and I'm not finished parting together the Iron Horse.
    My advice: finish the Horse. Enjoy both bikes.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas