mtbr member
    Apr 2007

jamis exile 650b ss commuter/franken bike build. pics!!!!

here is my new ss build. it is going to be my commuter for the next 2 months then my trail ride when i pick up something else. 2006 jamis exile w/650b wheels built by me (my first wheel build) and some used and new parts off of ebay, the lbs and my own parts bin.

i am lacing the rear wheel atm (truing and tensioning actually) and posted a couple pics on the wheel forum for some overseeing of things, and thought the build could use some input so here are some pics.

so far it is an fsa gossamer ebb road crankset that i modified to fit on the frame

bb-5s with sd-7 levers

ritchey straight bar, kore dh stem, orbit mx headset (yes i installed it upside down, but fsa says it wont affect anything)

a rs recon (i cant afford a carbon rigid as yet)

[imgl]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5282/5262115994_b050fabf2c_z.jpg[/img]

The need for singlespeed
    Nice! Two things though:
    1) clean your room
    2) what did you do to mod the cranks? What was the issue--chainstay clearance?

Ovaries on the Outside
    Does the Recon clear 650b? Will 650b clear the chainstays/seatstays? I'm a little surprised that you had issues with crank fitment, but I guess you have something larger than 34t on that thing.

I really like the Exiles. Great looking bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    haha, i knew the room cleanliness would get mentioned. ...ill clean it after my build, i have been totally consumed. ...as it sits right now, i have 2 of these frames sitting in my room, and i am thinking about building the second with parts from another bike so i can fit the 650s on both and have dedicated commuter and trail steel ss bikes. not becasue of the superior ride quality (which i think is bs) but becasue i like the way they look and dont want to convert every time i want to hit the trail. or i might just sell the other frame im not sure yet

2.0 650s will fit for sure, i have panaracer col de la vies on there and there is about an inch of room in all directions both front and rear. the xd lites are narrow as well though, so the volume might be constricted compared to a wider rim. either way, the rear has room for 2.35s if i slide the axle further back in the dropout, so thats not a problem, and i could always got an 05 or 06 fox fork that will fit em. im not too concerned atm becasue i have a trail bike and i love that too. its a reken i built last year (also ss)

i filed down the inside of the crank arm right at the edge of the drive side becasue it was hitting the chainstay on that side. ...this is the best pic i have. ...i will sand it and paint it black to match when the weather dries up

The need for singlespeed
    Cool! Should have a nice tight q-factor. How's the build coming along?

mtbr member
    I'm not sure a 650b wheel is going to clear that fork safely.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    learning PHP? nice
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    its coming well. thanks for asking. i rode it last night for the first time, but i need to take some more of the metal off of the drive side crank arm. ...the q factor is brilliant!. as far as the 650 tires clearing the fork, its fine for now because they are col de la vie tires atm for commuting, and i have a 26/29 origin 8 rigid fork on the way so anysize 650 tire will fit. (can anyone find weight specs on that thing? ive been looking for 2 days with no luck). also, i will be swapping with my 26" offroad tires/rims i have on my reken when i feel like hitting singletrack. i also need to figure out how to adjust the track dropouts correctly. it does look quite funny with all of those offroad parts and skinny tires. looks very overbuilt for street duty.

for commuting and just ss road training, the handlebars on there are fine, but i need some wide risers for offroad.i usually stand up and mash, and i need the side to side leverage.

and i am building the other one up (yes thats 2 2006 jamis exiles) over the next 2 or 3 months to fit 650bs with 2.3" tires using a fox 32rlc, but i have to save my pennies. for that build, i need to get brakes, headset, bars, tires and maybe a new saddle,though i like my current selection.

i am teaching myself web development as best i can, but i seem to be putting it aside whenever i sit down so i can wrench on my bikes, or read and learn about wheel building, or frame geos, or the benefits of 26vs650bvs29 or frame modifications or state and local requirements for starting a business for selling or maintaining, or designing, or renting or whatever ..bikes. ...i have become completely and insanely obsessed with every aspect of bicycles and the industry that surrounds them. i think i need to see a shrink. im scaring myself and i dont seem to mind

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i just got home for the first time in 3 days and i got my cromolite front fork!! its freakinglight! ...and check out what ssing is doing to my legs! (please excuse the tights, its 36 degrees outside...)

The need for singlespeed
    Someone get this guy a Xanax.

Dorkimus Prime
    I got a feeling this thread may get interesting...

Great pic, DroolMonkey!
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by droolmonkey
    ...but i need to take some more of the metal off of the drive side crank arm. ...the q factor is brilliant!.
    Did you use a 2.5mm spacer between the frame and the bottom bracket cup on the drive side?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    spacer coming right up!. ...i broke my chain tool on a kmc 910 chain and i have to wait to get a new one (tomorrow) before i can actually ride again as the chain i was reconnecting is on this bike. on a side note, i did take a sick ride today!. ive ridden every day this week that it hasnt been raining in socal...i need to take a few days off because my whole body is toast atm. (this is the west valley at the top of victory towards chesebro and coming back) this 32/16 **** is hard on the uphill!! no wonder my legs are dead effing sexy! ///how the hell do people ride a 15/40 on any sort of hill?

The need for singlespeed
    If you broke the pin on your Park chaintool, you can get replacement pins.

I used to ride 32/16 until I realized I'm just as fast on 32/18. Plus, when I get home after the ride I can still make it up the stairs.

beware the grammar police
    all 32/16 did for me was make the gravel road from the parking lot to the trail head less spinny.......... and make my knees hurt like a sumbeotch..... running 32/17 right now and the 19t cog is in the mail to the house...

i am actually faster with the bigger rear cog......

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    it was a pos multi tool chain breaker, so im going to buy a park tomorrow.

i rode an 18 for a while and the flats were too slow. ...the uphill was getting easy, so i went to the 16 2 or 3 weeks ago. the flats are much better so i figured ill get stronger and the 16 should be ok. i might switch to the 17 for a few weeks and do 3 or so mile hill repeats. i really want to do a race this year and i would like to do well so im starting my training. ...oh....5 weeks ago.

how long does your knee pains usually last? and what do you do to recover??

nothing to see here
    I only get sore knees if I spend too much time sitting while climbing. Ice is good for recovery.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    I seem to get a sore lower back from sitting on the climbs too much
    2010 Yeti ASR 7

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    so here is my 2nd 26" jamis ss that i just finished building. ...i couldnt get the 650 wheels built up properly, so i took them to my lbs to build them up right, and i started on my 2nd jamis frame. ...this is the result. ..and i am going to put my rs recon on my reken on this bike, a marzocchi 44 tst2 on the reken and the rigid fork will go on the 650b bike.

a side note, the reken makes a nice little am bike. ...i rode it down hummingbird trail in simi valley (which is a freedide/downhill trail i guess) and it was awesome! performed perfectly.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'm not confused, right? That there is a cassette..

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    sort of. ...it is the big rings from a cassette and a cog and some spacers becasue i didnt have enough spacers to just have the cog. ..its an interim solution and works pretty well other than adding unnecesary weight. besides, that wheel is for a geared bike i have. franken wheel all of my bikes are a mish mosh of parts ive collected over time.