mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Jamis Dragon One or Niner SIR?

Well it's getting close to that time of year when I put away the geared bike & pull out or build up a single speed. My SS I have now is a chameleon. Seeing how I have move onto 29inch wheels on my geared race ride (AND NEEDLESS TO SAY I LOVE IT). I want to build up a 29 SS. My geared bike is a Niner Jet 9. I really want to stay loyal to the Niner brand, but I don't want to deal with the SIR ebb. Recently I got the pleasure to test ride my buddies very nice & fully loaded Jamis Dragon one SS. It was quite a surprise. Steel, 29er,& SS! WOW. So now my question. Jamis 520 steel with horizontal chain stays VS. Niner 853 steel with ebb. I really want to get away from aluminum frames as far as SS goes. Or does anyone have any other recommendations on steel SS frames.
    Niner Rider 4-life!

mtbr member
    I had a Sir 9 and loved it! I didn't have any issues with mine.....I moved on to the A9C or I would probably still have it. My husband rides a Salsa El Mariachi which is steel and he seems to like it a lot!

mtbr member
    I have a SIR9 with the "old style" EBB and haven't had any problems with it. I set it when I first got it earlier this year and it hasn't moved or made a noise at all....I can't comment on the "new style" EBB but I've heard it's supposed to be better, not sure how?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Cool thanks for the advice. What I was also wondering is can anyone tell me if there's a noticeable ride differance between the to steels 520 vs. 853. Thanks
    Niner Rider 4-life!

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Niner goes thru great pains to work with Reynolds and source the 853 tubes to be long enough for 29er applications. It is a lot more money to use, but the ride makes it really worth it. I cannot comment on the new style EBB. I have the old style and it has been perfect for 5 yrs.

I thought with the new style, you need to rough up the frame paint so the EBB can grab it well, then you should be golden.