Thread: Jakked Colonel

mtbr member

Jakked Colonel

Once in a while, I get stumped...thank goodness it isn;t on one of the bikes I fix for others...it's one of mine...frustrating though.

I know there are a lot of really good mechs in here, so here goes...

It’s Sunday afternoon, and I’m banging my head on the wall (figuratively). Maybe someone has some ideas. Apologize for the lengthy narrative, but I believe in giving a doctor a good history, yes?

The goods (at least the ones that should apply):

Frame: DEAN Ti Colonel 29r (custom LG) Singlespeed
    Fork: DEAN Rigid Ti
    Stem: Thomson Elite X4
    Bar: Jones Ti H-Bar
    Saddle: Koobi AU Enduro Magnesium Rails
    Cranks: Middleburn
    Ring: Middleburn UNO (32)
    Bottom Bracket: White Insudtries Ti Spindle
    Pedals: TIME ATAC Ti Spindle
    Chain: KMC (1/8)

Did an XC race on Friday. In about the last kilometer, come up on two non-racers in the trail. Try to call out to pass but no reply…I try to go around when I thought it was safe, and hit something (I’m assuming a small tree hidden in some tall grass) HARD…as the handlebar was driven into my right lower thigh, HARD. I stayed upright, rode around them (and could hear how loud their iPods were) and finished the race (I won…hehhehehe). I looked down as I rode in, and saw my handlebar was jacked about 10 degrees to the right, my front brake lever assembly. was knocked lower on the bar, and I rode it in with it like jakked like that.

After the race and a knee exam, ice bag and Toradol shot, I examined my bike. A quick loosen and re-tighten got the bars and brake lever lined back up, etc. Nothing else seemed damaged.

So today, I head out on a ride, and not a few minutes in my bike is creaking HORRIBLY with each seated pedal stroke. Not to mention, all power lost in the brake lever and it sunk all the way to the bar...must have blown something. Back to the noise…hardly a creak when I stand up and pound the pedals…just seated. So I get home, and pull the bottom bracket, clean/re-grease/re-install everything, same. So as we all know, bike creaks are often transient sounds and can come from everywhere, I then start ruling out all the usual suspects:

Seatpost - pulled/cleaned/greased/re-installed per specs
    Saddle – cleaned/re-greased/re-tightened rails, etc. Saddle is also intact
    Skewers – Tight
    Headset – torqued per specs
    Handlebar – re-checked everything.

Then the unthinkable starts to settle into my skull…did I break the frame? A detailed exam with a magnifying glass of the entire washed frame revealed nothing I could find. I hadn’t thrown a chain or anything which could indicate a break in the seatstays or chainstays? It just creaks horribly when seated. Nada when I stand up and pound the pedals (and I'm a fairly big strong rider), sometimes just a small creak (mouse-fart) when I let up on the power from standing.

I’m stumped…she ran perfectly silent before the race. The best LBS (where I’ll have to get the brake fixed) is 26 miles up US1 and I won’t be able to get there any time soon with work and all (he closes early).

What am I missing? Any ideas? Any help or insight is appreciated. Any other ways to check the frame? I really don't think it's busted, but who knows?

Thanks,

R

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    did you check the upper front side of the seattube/toptube junction? I broke a frame once in that position. Took me about 4 creaky rides to find out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiDaDunlop
    did you check the upper front side of the seattube/toptube junction? I broke a frame once in that position. Took me about 4 creaky rides to find out.

As a matter of fact, I didn't...let me go check...

Nope...no crack there. All intact.

Thanks for the idea my friend

mtbr member
    Sliders, seat stays, seat post/tube area would be a logical place to look since the noise goes away when you stand and spin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Sliders, seat stays, seat post/tube area would be a logical place to look since the noise goes away when you stand and spin

hello again Bob...yup...been lookin ghard at them...everything is cool there.

Krazee, as the creak isn't a slight one, but a BIG, loud, obnoxious "I'm a metallurgic monster" one

Thanks Bob, and the Jones Bar is intact (short of X-raying it)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I recently broke a freehub body in a WTB Laserdisc lite on my SS. It made a horrible noise for a few rides until it just stopped working (freewheeled both way). It was quiet when sitting and screamed like a banshee when standing. Until it broke, I regreased the pedals, took out the BB, wrapped the EBB in teflon, removed, greased, and re-mounted the ENO chainring, etc. I NEVER would have guessed it was a freehub body. It just started making noise all of a sudden one day. Got louder and louder until it finally broke. After a rebuild of the rear hub and a replacement freehub body, all was fine. A bearing actually went bad first and that caused the freehub to go bad.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    pedals? hubs? are all the chain ring bolts there and tight or lock ring for crank?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by njbiker66
    pedals? hubs? are all the chain ring bolts there and tight or lock ring for crank?

Yes, yes, and yes...the cranks ring are Uno.

Thanks

mtbr member
    have you pulled your fork and inspected your steerer tube for cracks, clean and re-grease your headset, pull all your spacers and clean them.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    have you pulled your fork and inspected your steerer tube for cracks, clean and re-grease your headset, pull all your spacers and clean them.

No, but I will...maybe tonight after work...

PeT
    Occasionally engaged…
    Quote Originally Posted by RSW42
    ...and saw my handlebar was jacked about 10 degrees to the right
    Based upon the various quotes/slams/links appearing in your sig, I'm surprised you thought deviating to the right was a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by RSW42
    …hardly a creak when I stand up and pound the pedals…just seated.
    Do you have another saddle to put on? I once broke a rail up where it disappeared into the saddle and was driven nuts by the creak until it finally all came apart and I had to replace the saddle. My daughter had a creak that was hard to chase down that turned out to be a crack in the seatpost clamp. Perhaps you have another bike with the right diameter seatpost with a seat installed that you could swap over and find out real quick if the noise is in that assembly.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    UPDATE:

I believe we are at "MC" status...

My buddy Jimmy came out with me during lunch, and it was a classic case of having someone off the bike listen while you ride...

Jimmy: "Dude, it's the seatpost...

RSW: "No man, it's not, I pulled and re-did everything"

Jimmy: " I think it's the seatpost, biznatch...."

RSW: "I don't think so, Poodle-pud"

Jimmy: "I'll betcha, bug-nutz!"

RSW: "OK, ball-sweat, I'll take the seatpost OUT and ride it around..."

(Of course it still creaked terribly, this time even with me standing on the pedals which it wasn't doing before...)

(RSW riding it around sans seatpost)...

Jimmy: "Uuuuuhhhhh...holy ****!...you can hear it all over now, but it sounds 'ass-end'...check your sliding dropout bolts"

RSW loosens, re-sets/re-tightens sliding dropout bolts...

OH SNAP! No creaking in the rest of a short little ride aroudn where we work...

Knock on laminated wood product

Thanks for all your help...you guys rock!!!

mtbr member
    So how much sleep did you lose last night over this. lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by njbiker66
    So how much sleep did you lose last night over this. lol

None...I took a Melatonin last night